1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Paper Spray Ionization Ion Mobility Mass Spectrometry of Sebum Classifies Biomarker Classes for the Diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease, 2022, Sarkar

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Sep 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Parkinson’s disease (PD) is the second most common neurodegenerative disorder, and identification of robust biomarkers to complement clinical diagnosis will accelerate treatment options. Here, we demonstrate the use of direct infusion of sebum from skin swabs using paper spray ionization coupled with ion mobility mass spectrometry (PS-IM-MS) to determine the regulation of molecular classes of lipids in sebum that are diagnostic of PD. A PS-IM-MS method for sebum samples that takes 3 min per swab was developed and optimized. The method was applied to skin swabs collected from 150 people and elucidates ∼4200 features from each subject, which were independently analyzed. The data included high molecular weight lipids (>600 Da) that differ significantly in the sebum of people with PD. Putative metabolite annotations of several lipid classes, predominantly triglycerides and larger acyl glycerides, were obtained using accurate mass, tandem mass spectrometry, and collision cross section measurements.

Open access, https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jacsau.2c00300

BBC News article on this research, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-62795737

shak8, Lilas, Simbindi and 4 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The most amazing part of this is that it happened because of that famous woman who can smell Parkinson's. So they could develop this because they had a reliable validated instrument to compare to. This is the flaw behind most applications of machine learning: it only works if you can already do the thing manually.

Also, smell is complex:
    From a simple swab on their back.

Also: apparently she can do that for other diseases. And it was mostly down to chance, could have simply never happened without the right circumstances, from a Reddit thread:
    On that subject, I have noticed that my body smell is different with ME. So have many long haulers. There could be the way to an effective test and no one would know about it unless some people go out of their way with the right initiative meeting the right people in the right circumstances.

shak8, Simbindi, TiredSam and 4 others like this.
  3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Maybe she'd like to drop into an ME meeting and have a sniff around?

shak8, Lilas and Simbindi like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread
    Summary: Researchers discovered personal odors can alter in people with Parkinson’s disease. Based on this, they identified specific markers for Parkinson’s in sebum, an oily substance secreted from the skin. They developed a new, non-invasive swab test that can identify Parkinson’s with 95% accuracy.

The difficulty with diagnosis

Parkinson’s is difficult to diagnose due the myriad symptoms it can present with, and these symptoms can also vary widely from patient to patient. Additionally, many of the symptoms seen in Parkinson’s can be attributed to other conditions.

https://neurosciencenews.com/parkinsons-smell-21575/

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2023
    Hutan, bobbler, SNT Gatchaman and 3 others like this.
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All because one woman could detect her husband smelling different.
    Dogs can pick up , and be trained to pick up different scents.
    No doubt there will be other conditions with definitive " smells" if we look for them

6. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will actually be surprised if ME/CFS isn't one of them. The extent of the metabolic changes alone must be changing out sweat output and I can tell I smell different. But the bacteria/fungus on my skin has always changed, ever since I got ME I have had issues with fungal/bacteria growth in certain areas where sweat likes to accumulate. I strongly suspect there is something detectable on our skin from our sweat.

7. Rain

Rain Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a problem with a kind of fabric eating bugs in my area (not an exterminable kind, we have to just live with it). 99% of the clothes they have attacked in our home over the years have been mine. We have a running joke that my body scent must be a special delicacy for them, but have wondered if there could be a more scientific explanation.

(There are some Parkinson’s in my family history, but I have been tested/cleared several times.)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    Mij, Trish, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  8. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I have had problems with clothes moths since developing ME/CFS too. In my case, the scientific explanation might just be that certain segments of my wardrobe (e.g. fine woollen knits and suits) weren't getting to see the light of day anymore (or the dry cleaners or the washing machine) leaving the moth larvae to munch away in the dark quite undisturbed. It did make it easier to throw out clothes that I probably was not going to wear again, once they had lots of holes.

Sorry, taking the thread off track. Here's a related thread:
    'Lab' testing - could dogs smell ME/CFS?

Mij, Trish and RedFox like this.
  11. Rain

Rain Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Hutan not the case at all here, though :)

Hutan likes this.
  12. Amw66

13. Amw66

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/oct/21/experience-i-can-smell-illnesses-in-people

shak8 likes this.
  14. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m sure I smelled different for the first two to three years of illness — a sort of bitter smell. Past few years, back to normal.

15. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can usually smell cancer but maybe having ME stops me from smelling it now?

16. josepdelafuente

josepdelafuente Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How can we make this happen?!