1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Lab' testing - could dogs smell ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by Hutan, Sep 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

(The 'lab' in the title refers to labradors.)
    I've heard that dogs are able to smell cancer and some other health problems. When I heard about dogs being able to identify people infected with Covid-19, I wondered about dogs perhaps being able to smell ME/CFS. I heard the Covid-detecting dogs identify sweat or saliva from people with Covid versus the sweat or saliva from people without.

It would be interesting to give it a try, probably taking the sample during PEM. There have been less plausible approaches to diagnosis.

EndME, Fizzlou, Amw66 and 27 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps they need the aroma of the "night-sweats". I recall reading that the aroma of "perspiration" in brucellosis patients was highly distinctive.

Mind you, it would be a clever dog that could sniff out a psychological problem.

Perhaps costs could be reduced further by training those award winning giant rats we have heard of lately.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Barry. It sounds really good, doesn't it. So the end point isn't lots of detector dogs; instead the dogs help to identify a biomarker molecule.

I see the organisation has been given government funding to train up the Covid-detecting dogs - that would be so useful if it worked. I wonder if the UK government could be persuaded to fund an ME/CFS or post-covid syndrome detection project with the organisation.

alktipping, andypants, sebaaa and 8 others like this.
  5. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got a couple of good miracle candidates for these dogs lol

sebaaa, Snow Leopard, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  6. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah yes. But if the dogs can sniff out a psychological problem wouldn't there be a conflict of interest if therapy dogs are used in treatment? ;)

alktipping, sebaaa, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A senior in my building owns a dog named Wessely.

RedFox, Milo, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  8. Helen

Helen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trained dogs are already used at the airport of Helsinki, Finland.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemima...i-airport-to-sniff-out-covid-19/#14e452b57331

sebaaa, Ravn, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The outcome of this trial run will be the real crunch. Would be excellent if it works. When they say the dogs only need a week's training, I presume by that they mean they are already trained medical detection dogs, who then get a week's specific Covid 19 training. Would be extremely interesting if they could distinguish between Covid 19 and other infections.

10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re: 'Lab' Testing

I once saw video of a doctor advertising his practice. He concluded by saying something like "And for your convenience, we have our own on-site lab."

Cut to shot of happy Labrador Retriever sitting in the waiting room.

RedFox, Arnie Pye, Philipp and 12 others like this.
  11. Helen

Helen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They can. It was on Scandinavian TV some days ago. The trained dogs had found arrivals at the International airport with COVID 19. Testing for the virus confirmed ongoing infections. This is big, isn´t it?

@JES, maybe you can tell us more?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  12. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:confused::laugh::p:rofl::emoji_clap:

13. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nice idea. What with all our metabolic changes it might very well work, too, eventually, just as soon as we have figured out a way to diagnose ME with much more certainty than the current diagnostic criteria can provide. Thing is you have to train the dogs - or rats* for that matter: imagine every GP clinic having a team of trained rats roaming the waiting room, that should reduce healthcare costs if nothing else, through drastically reduced GP visits, unless the BPS folks got in on it and set up rat-trauma or rat-desensitisation CBT clinics :p - right, where was I? Ah yes, you have to train dogs on samples of definitive ME, possibly even specifically on samples of definite ME with or without PEM.

Still, could be worth trying with a very narrowly defined group of pwME, maybe some with definite viral onset who've also had very clear CPET results and, if the dogs can find something to reliably distinguish them from definite non-ME cases, one could then work outwards from there, in a way testing what's really relevant in our current diagnostic criteria. The possibility of subgroups in ME could confound things though.

Could also be interesting to see if dogs trained on one sort of post-viral syndrome, assuming that's possible, would also indicate when presented with samples of different post-viral or post-infectious syndromes, and samples of ME.

* For those who missed @chrisb's reference, recently an explosive-sniffer rat was awarded a medal for its services.And, actually it would be kind of nice for 'lab' rats to be given a more agreeable task than forced swimming and other torture.

shak8, alktipping, andypants and 7 others like this.
  14. Mij

Our future:
    upload_2020-9-27_8-43-52.png

EndME, RedFox, shak8 and 13 others like this.
  15. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

since the world of medicine choses not to believe what patients tell them why would they believe in the dogs . also in many of the first years of having m e my body had a distinctive coppery odour i don't know if this is common .

shak8, Invisible Woman and Ravn like this.
  16. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe they think dogs don't have false illness beliefs?

Some slightly tongue in cheek ideas here:

1) Get a medical detection dog charity excited about ME. Somehow...
    This lot for example works with researchers at the University of Otago (Prof Tate's uni) on cancer detection.
    https://www.k9md.org.nz/

2) Train your own dog:
    https://store.huntersheart.com/Scent_Detection_Foundation_Online_Dog_Training_C_p/sdf.htm

3) Train a rat or three, apparently it takes 9 months for them to learn how to detect TB reliably, not sure if that's faster or slower than a dog (but in any case a rat would be cheaper to feed):
    https://www.apopo.org/en/what-we-do/detecting-tuberculosis/how-we-do-it/tb-detection-rat-training

RedFox, shak8, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  17. Mij

EndME, shak8, Ravn and 3 others like this.
  18. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Going into a straight line until you crash into something, not sure that's an approved driving technique, and fairly sure that if human that rat would end up in prison.

It's also not a car, it's a plastic sweet jar on wheels, with no obvious means of steering, which may explain the fairground driving technique.

shak8, Ravn, alktipping and 1 other person like this.
  19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn’t work in the U.K. how could you train a rat to drive a car with manual gearbox :whistle:

EndME, RedFox, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  20. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope Amazon doesn't find out about this.

EndME, shak8, Ravn and 4 others like this.