1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pain meds poll

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Sarah94, Nov 13, 2020.

?

Do you take any of the following prescription pain medications for pain caused by your ME?

1. Gabapentin

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Tramadol

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Prescription NSAID E.g. ibuprofen, naproxen, etc

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. Prescription paracetamol

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. Co-codamol (paracetamol plus a small amount of codeine)

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. An opioid or an opiate medication

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  7. Duloxetine (Cymbalta)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Lidocaine

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. Amitryptiline or nortriptyline

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  10. Pregabalin (Lyrica)

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  11. Other prescription pain medication not listed here

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  12. I don't take prescription pain medication but would like to

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  13. I'm not in pain (or, my pain is caused by something unrelated to my ME)

12 vote(s)
    23.1%
  14. I'm in pain but don't want to take prescription pain medication

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  15. My pain is adequately controlled by over-the-counter remedies

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am curious about this, especially because the draft nice guidelines don't say anything about pain medication.

Forgot to say in the title - if you don't have ME yourself, please feel free to answer regarding your loved one who has ME.

If there's any options I've omitted to include then please tell me.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  2. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could you make it so we can choose more than one?

alktipping likes this.
  3. Sarah94

Done. That was my intention but I forgot the setting!

alktipping and lunarainbows like this.
  4. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I take 3, all on prescription - Lidocaine patches, Paracetamol and Nortriptyline. I would not be able to write or use my phone without it now (especially the Lidocaine which has been a godsend, especially once I started being actually prescribed it on the NHS instead of having to buy it from abroad at a weaker percentage).

I didn’t realise there wasn’t much in the pain part of the guidelines.

alktipping, MEMarge and Sarah94 like this.
  5. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am more
    ‘my pain is usually controlled by over the counter meds’
    but I selected the final option anyway.

alktipping and Sarah94 like this.
  6. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did suffer from neuropathic pain, but I treated that quite well with LDN, and after a year or so, I no longer had that pain. I still may develop it when my other ME symptoms are severe, but it passes on its own.

alktipping, Kitty, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sometimes take paracetamol (as well as tramadol at night), but it's not on prescription. Is there a reason you phrased it that way, @Sarah94?

Mine used to be prescribed, but the NHS has tried to stop providing medications wherever possible that can be bought cheaply over the counter in a wide range of shops. Since I only use it occasionally anyway, I didn't raise any objections when it came off my repeat list.

Although my consumption of tramadol is pretty low, I'd be very worried if it were withdrawn due to concerns about opioids. My sleep's already disrupted to some extent by pain, and it would be so much worse without something that does significantly reduce it.

Wonko, alktipping and NelliePledge like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I don’t have really bad pain so I get by with paracetamol. I also take CBD at night.

I have low dose pregabalin on my prescription but stopped taking them 2 years ago due to side effects exceeding benefit.

If I have a flu symptoms episode the paracetamol wears off before I can take another dose I would probably take co codamol if I really had to but codeine doesn’t suit me too sedating and gives me a headache.

alktipping, Kitty and MeSci like this.
  9. Sarah94

The reason I made the poll is because I'm concerned that the draft guideline doesn't say anything about prescribing pain meds.

Your paracetamol isn't on prescription, so, there'd be no worry that you might lose access to it.

(However, I suspect that this poll will under-represent the number of PWME who require pain meds, because forum participation skews towards people who are less severe.)

Oops, I didn't even realise that tramadol is an opioid, hence why it got its own category.

10. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Over the counter pain meds don't work on my ME pain. I use to take Gabapentin but it doesn't prevent payback, and often makes me exert myself. While on pain meds I don't feel the early signs of over exertion.

Tramadol gives me bad constipation and severe skin irritation.

11. Sarah94

Oh... Also just realised I forgot to give an option for "I am on pain meds but it's not enough to control my pain and my doctor won't do anything more to help me"... so this is a pretty useless poll really...

Sarah Restieaux, alktipping and Kitty like this.
  12. Kitty

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Not at all, and making a poll is a lot harder than it looks! (I know – I've tried and abandoned the effort once I'd tied myself in knots!)

Sarah94 and alktipping like this.
  13. Kitty

It's described variously as an opioid and not an opioid. It's converted within the body to a substance that works on the opioid receptor*, so effectively it has a similar mode of action.

*Massive oversimplification of a topic I don't really understand! :laugh:

Sarah94 and alktipping like this.
  14. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i take trammadol for pain caused by A S and some paracetamol for some of the more severe headaches sinus pain but in a decade of going back and forth to the doctors i never found anything that helped with the pain caused by M E . doctors seem to completely ignore that area of pain in my personal experience .

hellytheelephant, Sarah94 and Kitty like this.
  15. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to take various medication, when I still worked part time for migraine, though my impression was they only served to delay attacks, and ultimately lying immobile in a darkened room was the only solution. However they could be used to get through my days working. My migraines can occur both as a feature of my food intolerances, which I now manage well, and as part of PEM; both post date the onset of my ME.

When I was still well enough to travel my then GP was good at prescribing pain killers that like the migraine meds could be used to enable me to complete a journey. I can not remember now what I used to take.

Any other musculoskeletal pains it is normally associated with PEM, when resting seems the best solution. Pain varies but it is normally only the chostochondritis that is severe enough to be incapacitating, but as this too is a feature of my PEM, when rest is the only long term solution, being immobile in a darkened room.

Now the only pain medication I take is Lemsip which as long as the pain is not too bad helps me to get to sleep when resting in response to PEM. I wonder if this is in part because it helps with the cold/flue like symptoms that also is part of my PEM.

16. JoanneS

JoanneS Established Member (Voting Rights)

I take tramadol and over the counter paracetamol on an (as needed) occasional basis. Doesn't control pain, just diminishes it to a more bearable level. Flu like aches, muscle and joint pain are constant symptoms.

17. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For my chronic pain, I take each day "little" dose of amitryptiline (mostly for sleep), pregabalin and mirtazapine. If I forget the last one, I will know soon because my pain will increase. When I'm in crash, I have no choice, I have to take one dose of demerol (opioid).

NB: I'm always in pain, those meds only help me "to a more bearable level".