1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Oxford: MitOX Conference 2020, online, 3-4th Dec 2020

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Milo, sebaaa, Perrier and 20 others like this.
  2. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention @Andy - I'll try to make a point to view it.

3. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For anyone interested this is the thread for last years Mitox meeting.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/mitox...rchers-with-an-interest-in-mitochondria.8095/

And this is Andy's report from last years collaborators meeting held right after Mitox
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/patie...l-mortens-collaborative-group-oxford-uk.9402/

That'll be interesting. I think he touched on that topic briefly in your Q&A if I remember right.

Cool. Glad the two of them will be in the same room! I'm guessing they must already have talked given the invitation.

Have you been invited to attend some of the 2020 meeting @Andy?

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

This meeting, to the best of my knowledge, won't be livestreamed or recorded, but I understand Karl will give this same talk at the CRMC conference next year, which will be.

I intend attending the whole day.

Yessica, Mij, ukxmrv and 9 others like this.
  5. wigglethemouse

I'm looking forward to Karl Morten and Bhupesh Prusty meeting up - two out of box thinkers and both on the search for the "something in the blood".
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1201438544671191040

Bhupesh Prusty is also collaborating with Robert Naviaux to look for the "fatigue factor" in the ME/CFS blood.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1207893534445056001

Now if only Paul Fisher could collaborate with them somehow to pool knowledge and advance the work faster......... Four brilliant minds looking at the Mitochondrial function of ME/CFS patients.

merylg, sebaaa, ringding and 15 others like this.
  6. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could it be that the date of this conference has been changed? It now reads that "A two day virtual conference for researchers with an interest in mitochondria from academia and pharma, held on Thursday 3rd and Friday 4th December 2020."

Source: https://www.wrh.ox.ac.uk/mitox2020

Kitty, cfsandmore, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yes, I was sent an update, copied below, to that effect a couple of hours ago.

>>>>>

Dear All

We have decided to run this year’s MitOX event as an online meeting over the 3rd and 4th Dec.

The current programme can be found at https://www.wrh.ox.ac.uk/mitox2020. This includes the speakers selected from the abstracts back in March 2020. Timings are shown on the attached draft plan [not attached, see https://www.wrh.ox.ac.uk/mitox2020].

We cannot unfortunately accommodate new abstracts but new delegates are welcome to register so please pass the word. All previous registrations are still valid.

To register go to https://www.oxforduniversitystores....reproductive-health/events/mitox-meeting-2020

For previously submitted abstracts we plan to run a flash presentation session during the lunch session at the end of each day. These will be 3 slides max, lasting 3 min’s. If you have submitted an abstract and would like to give a flash presentation please E-mail Prof Jo Poulton (ccd in) who will be organising the session.

A couple of points

1) The meeting will now be free to attend, all registration fees will be refunded.

2) Previous registrations are still valid, so no need to register again.

3) As numbers will be limited (250 max on Teams) if you find you no longer able to attend please let me know.

4) Registration to attend is now open again and will remain open until the 29th November

Best wishes

Karl, Lisa and Jo

merylg, Simon M, cfsandmore and 3 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From Karl Morten.

"Do you think any of the S4ME people would like to attend the mito medicine session at MitOX on the 4th. Programme attached. We could probably cope with another 30-40.

I just need email addresses. Best if they come in one document. I will then send them the meeting link.

They can just dial in for the talks they want to attend."

So from the programme, this is the section that Karl is talking about.

Mitochondrial medicine

Chair: Jo Elson (Newcastle)

11.20 James McCullagh (Oxford) IDH mutations in cancer

11.45 Karl Morten (Oxford) Plasma Metabolomics in ME/CFS and the impact of a structured exercise programme.

12.10 Bhupesh Prusty (Wurzberg) Mitochondrial architecture decides the niche for pathogenic survival.

12.35 Joerg Burgstaller ( to be confirmed)

12.55 Session questions

If you are interested in receiving the meeting link, send me an email at andy@s4me.info, before midday 1st December, and I'll gather them up and pass them to Karl.

9. wigglethemouse

Thanks for the offer @Andy . Very very kind of Karl Morten to extend this invitation. Unfortunately for me the time difference doesn't work, but hopefully some others can attend, as this would show the researchers that we are very interested in the Science!

sebaaa, ahimsa, cfsandmore and 3 others like this.
  10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really enjoyed the two talks today. Bhupesh's work on what happens when cells are infected by both a bacterium and HHV6 might have some fascinating implications, though it sounds as if there's a way to go before any role in disease is fully understood.

What immediately stood out from Karl's talk – which was done at some speed because wanted to cover so much ground! – was the slide showing that in people with ME who manage to exercise, metabolite profiles become less like those of healthy controls, not more like them. Which suggests there's no recovery process taking place, it might just be that some patients are capable of additional metabolic adaptation.

He also made an important point about the fact that the metabolites that distinguish patients from healthy controls are all unknown. It's an interesting thought that there could feasibly be a test that's reliable enough to be useful, even though no-one yet knows the functions of the molecules it's measuring.

merylg, sebaaa, Snow Leopard and 14 others like this.
  11. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, it was very enjoyable :)

I wish we knew what happened to the mild patients who made it through the exercise program, "made it through" doesn't say anything about how they fared doing that. On the PLS score plots we saw they moved further away from the healthy controls, but did their symptoms increase (it might have been mentioned, I'm a bit brain foggy today).

Wasn't it just the top metabolites that were all unknown? They had measured a lot and he only showed the top 15 or something in a graph with VIP scores on the x axis (all unknown), and then he also talked about glutamine and amino acids. I wonder when we'll learn about all of these unknowns, something that frustrates me is that it seems different labs uses different naming conventions, so you don't really know if you've found the same unknown compound in two different studies. I guess there are ways to work around that somehow, but couldn't people just be organized already :p

12. wigglethemouse

I didn't attend this talk so don't know if this is new work, or the same as he reported on two years ago in New Zealand. There was also a separate ME Association report on the metabolite work I think.

That NZ talk is here
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/quest...-of-oxford-sept-2019.10827/page-2#post-195896

We presented questions in the s4me Q&A with Karl Morten such as this one
    At the end of the day I'm guessing without funding it is really difficult to follow up on. There is also the issue with sample collection and preparation procedures as those can have a huge difference on measuring metabolites, so reproducability may be hard without having your own cohort and rapid sample preparation.

13. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I'm too tired to look through ore videos, must save my energy for my exam next week. He talked today of two different cohorts, one small one from Poland with ~50 participants who had a through clinical assessment, and one from UK (I didn't get if they were already in the biobank or if they were recruited for this) which was larger but where patients had not been clinically assessed but had answered questionnaires.

He mentioned both problems with funding, but also problems with finding a clinician to work with. He mentioned workarounds for the clinician problem, but the funding is an issue. Comparing the two cohorts was hard due to differences in sample preparation and age of patients, and I think there was one or two more things (but that might have been "clinical assessment" vs "questionnaire" that I've already mentioned).

14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a paper that is the basis for one of the other talks at the virtual conference, which the topic was familiar to me:

"Neuropilin-1 Controls Endothelial Homeostasis by Regulating Mitochondrial Function and Iron-Dependent Oxidative Stress"
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2589004218302347

Notably, SARS-CoV2 and EBV both utilise NRP1 as a cell-entry factor in endothelial cells...

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member