Trial Report Outpatient treatment of Covid-19 and the development of Long Covid..., 2023, Bramante et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Dec 25, 2022.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Looks like they meant graduated, or something like that. They weren't measuring a response and adjusting dosage accordingly; the dosage schedule was fixed.

2. Hutan

Yeah, it's weird. It looks like the fluvoxamine arms (F+M and F+placebo) got switched part the way through the trial - e.g. F+placebo data got attributed to F+M, and vice versa. Might just be a mixup by the statistician, but, if so, it's surprising that the problem made it to the pre-print.

It's not believable that a drug administered for just 2 weeks would result in a low incidence of LC for 4 months and then suddenly start causing LC after that.

alktipping, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I cant think stragight that table is unintelligible to me tbh - if the first column is for placebo - thats the only place i can see the '14%' figure?

So are they saying (or rather does the data support) that the risk of LC in the unvaccinated people within this study cohort, was double that of the vaccinated?

4. Hutan

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At least as far as "Has a medical provider told you that you have Long Covid?" works as being equivalent to LC. For those individuals, in this healthcare system, during this time period, based on however factors made a medical provider say so. Which it really isn't. It's frankly as far from the truth as a validated cancer screening vs. being told "I think you may have cancer" but without any validation.

alktipping, Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. Hutan

New abstract

Abstract
    Background: Post-acute sequelae of COVID, termed “Long COVID”, is an emerging chronic illness potentially affecting ~10% of those with COVID-19. We sought to determine if outpatient treatment with metformin, ivermectin, or fluvoxamine could prevent Long COVID.

Methods: COVID-OUT (NCT04510194) was a decentralized, multi-site trial in the United States testing three medications (metformin, ivermectin, fluvoxamine) using a 2x3 parallel treatment factorial randomized assignment to efficiently share placebo controls. Participants, investigators, care providers, and outcomes assessors were masked to randomized treatment assignment. Inclusion criteria included: age 30 to 85 years with overweight or obesity, symptoms <7 days, enrolled within <=3 days of documented SARS-CoV-2 infection. Long COVID diagnosis from a medical provider was a pre-specified secondary outcome assessed by monthly surveys through 300 days after randomization and confirmed in medical records.

Findings: Of 1323 randomized trial participants, 1125 consented for long-term follow up, and 95.1% completed >9 months of follow up. The median age was 45 years (IQR, 37 to 54), and 56% were female (7% pregnant). The median BMI was 30 kg/m2 (IQR, 27 to 34). Overall, 8.4% reported a medical provider diagnosed them with Long COVID; cumulative incidence: 6.3% with metformin and 10.6% with matched placebo. The hazard ratio (HR) for metformin preventing Long COVID was 0.58 (95%CI, 0.38 to 0.88; P=0·009) versus placebo. The metformin effect was consistent across subgroups, including viral variants. When metformin was started within <4 days of symptom onset, the HR for Long COVID was 0.37 (95%CI, 0.15 to 0.95). No statistical difference in Long COVID occurred in those randomized to either ivermectin (HR=0.99; 95%CI, 0.59 to 1.64) or fluvoxamine (HR=1.36; 95%CI, 0.78 to 2.34).

Interpretations: A 42% relative decrease and 4.3% absolute decrease in the Long COVID incidence occurred in participants who received early outpatient COVID-19 treatment with metformin compared to exact-matching placebo.

Mij, Peter Trewhitt, Trish and 2 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This seems to be an interesting finding. However, I see that the subjects were overweight or obese. Metformin is used in people who are overweight with diabetes to modify sugar metabolism if I remember rightly. If it had a beneficial effect on a pre-diabetic state that made people feel generally better then that would be likely to be reflected in rates of 'LongCovid' diagnosis.

9. Hutan

The new version of the paper just has the cumulative incidence chart for Metformin and the placebo in the main text. Figure S3 is the cumulative incidence chart for all of the treatment arms, but in this latest preprint version, there are no lines on the chart. This suggests that they might still be trying to sort out what went on with that fluvoxamine arm.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 9.35.35 pm.png

10. Hutan

Yes, and as we noted earlier, we don't know what "Long covid" meant in the minds of the doctors who diagnosed it. The finding of a useful effect from metformin may or may not have much bearing on the incidence of ME/CFS-like illness.

NelliePledge, alktipping, Mij and 5 others like this.
  11. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Metformin is used in people who are overweight with diabetes to modify sugar metabolism if I remember rightly."
    Haven't read the preprint [and only read one comment - above] but I'm guessing that it may be possible to check the relationship between sugar levels (pre-diabetic) and improvement following Metformin.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I take Metformin 850 mg twice a day for Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome, & have done for about 17yrs. I am no longer overweight/obese - it had an almost miraculous effect in that respect - I lost about 3 stone over 6months without changing anything else (i already had ME for about 3yrs when i started taking it).

One wonders what the effect would be (in terms of decreasing LC risk) on people taking it all the time.

alktipping, leokitten, Hoopoe and 4 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Now published

Outpatient treatment of COVID-19 and incidence of post-COVID-19 condition over 10 months (COVID-OUT): a multicentre, randomised, quadruple-blind, parallel-group, phase 3 trial

Background
    Post-COVID-19 condition (also known as long COVID) is an emerging chronic illness potentially affecting millions of people. We aimed to evaluate whether outpatient COVID-19 treatment with metformin, ivermectin, or fluvoxamine soon after SARS-CoV-2 infection could reduce the risk of long COVID.

Methods
    We conducted a decentralised, randomised, quadruple-blind, parallel-group, phase 3 trial (COVID-OUT) at six sites in the USA. We included adults aged 30–85 years with overweight or obesity who had COVID-19 symptoms for fewer than 7 days and a documented SARS-CoV-2 positive PCR or antigen test within 3 days before enrolment. Participants were randomly assigned via 2 × 3 parallel factorial randomisation (1:1:1:1:1:1) to receive metformin plus ivermectin, metformin plus fluvoxamine, metformin plus placebo, ivermectin plus placebo, fluvoxamine plus placebo, or placebo plus placebo. Participants, investigators, care providers, and outcomes assessors were masked to study group assignment. The primary outcome was severe COVID-19 by day 14, and those data have been published previously. Because the trial was delivered remotely nationwide, the a priori primary sample was a modified intention-to-treat sample, meaning that participants who did not receive any dose of study treatment were excluded. Long COVID diagnosis by a medical provider was a prespecified, long-term secondary outcome. This trial is complete and is registered with ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT04510194.

Findings
    Between Dec 30, 2020, and Jan 28, 2022, 6602 people were assessed for eligibility and 1431 were enrolled and randomly assigned. Of 1323 participants who received a dose of study treatment and were included in the modified intention-to-treat population, 1126 consented for long-term follow-up and completed at least one survey after the assessment for long COVID at day 180 (564 received metformin and 562 received matched placebo; a subset of participants in the metformin vs placebo trial were also randomly assigned to receive ivermectin or fluvoxamine). 1074 (95%) of 1126 participants completed at least 9 months of follow-up. 632 (56·1%) of 1126 participants were female and 494 (43·9%) were male; 44 (7·0%) of 632 women were pregnant. The median age was 45 years (IQR 37–54) and median BMI was 29·8 kg/m2 (IQR 27·0–34·2). Overall, 93 (8·3%) of 1126 participants reported receipt of a long COVID diagnosis by day 300. The cumulative incidence of long COVID by day 300 was 6·3% (95% CI 4·2–8·2) in participants who received metformin and 10·4% (7·8–12·9) in those who received identical metformin placebo (hazard ratio [HR] 0·59, 95% CI 0·39–0·89; p=0·012). The metformin beneficial effect was consistent across prespecified subgroups. When metformin was started within 3 days of symptom onset, the HR was 0·37 (95% CI 0·15–0·95). There was no effect on cumulative incidence of long COVID with ivermectin (HR 0·99, 95% CI 0·59–1·64) or fluvoxamine (1·36, 0·78–2·34) compared with placebo.

Interpretation
    Outpatient treatment with metformin reduced long COVID incidence by about 41%, with an absolute reduction of 4·1%, compared with placebo. Metformin has clinical benefits when used as outpatient treatment for COVID-19 and is globally available, low-cost, and safe.

Open access, https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(23)00299-2/fulltext

14. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess they should’ve used an “active” placebo that also caused a similar gastro side effect as what metformin causes. Not sure how feasible that is though in practice. I’ve read trials with active placebos when a treatment has a certain smell or taste, though not wrt known side effects.

15. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not particularly fond of the Metformin trial for people with a normal BMI. However, if it is convincing enough for people to prove that Long-Covid isn't psychological or is the last bit of evidence they needed to reach that conclusion, as suggested in this newly published paper "The therapeutic validation of long COVID", I'm all for it:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(23)00355-9/fulltext

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  16. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would it make sense to test if Metformin could reduce the risk of ME/CFS following EBV-infection?