1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Orthostatic Intolerance in Long-Haul COVID after SARS-CoV-2: A Case-Control Comparison with Post-EBV and Insidious-Onset ME/CFS Patients 2022 Visser

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Background: As complaints of long-haul COVID patients are similar to those of ME/CFS patients and as orthostatic intolerance (OI) plays an important role in the COVID infection symptomatology, we compared 14 long-haul COVID patients with 14 ME/CFS patients with a post-viral Ebstein-Barr (EBV) onset and 14 ME/CFS patients with an insidious onset of the disease.

Methods: In all patients, OI analysis by history taking and OI assessed during a tilt test, as well as cerebral blood flow measurements by extracranial Doppler, and cardiac index measurements by suprasternal Doppler during the tilt test were obtained in all patients.

Results: Except for disease duration no differences were found in clinical characteristics. The prevalence of POTS was higher in the long-haul patients (100%) than in post-EBV (43%) and in insidious-onset (50%) patients (p = 0.0002). No differences between the three groups were present in the prevalence of OI, heart rate and blood pressure changes, changes in cerebral blood flow or in cardiac index during the tilt test.

Conclusion: OI symptomatology and objective abnormalities of OI (abnormal cerebral blood flow and cardiac index reduction during tilt testing) are comparable to those in ME/CFS patients. It indicates that long-haul COVID is essentially the same disease as ME/CFS.

https://www.mdpi.com/2227-9032/10/10/2058/htm

AndroidEeyore, ahimsa, Mij and 8 others like this.
  2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

POTS being more common in the long Covid group is pretty unexpected. I wonder what could explain this?

Maybe Covid is causing POTS at a higher rate than other viruses for some reason. Anecodotally, I hear of a lot of long haulers with POTS or POTS-like symptoms.

alktipping, Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a clear trend I can see in Long Covid of POTS being especially severe initially and improving over time for most, so this is not surprising. Now if only someone could learn something out of this, what changes over time instead of the usual single-points-in-time.

wastwater, alktipping, Sean and 3 others like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure this is important. POTS is (somewhat arbitrarily) defined in adults as a sustained elevation of heart rate with orthostatic challenge of 30 bpm or more. Historically this was something objectively measurable to correlate with the patients' subjective symptoms of orthorstatic intolerance (dizziness, nausea, fainting etc). More recently this group has used Doppler ultrasound to show that the key cardiovascular finding is reduced cerebral blood flow — present in all POTS and the majority of ME and LC. They showed that this reduction in cerebral blood flow can be present in some even without significant HR and BP changes.

Additionally, there is a sex difference in the cardiovascular system: females are more likely to compensate against gravity via tachycardia, males by increased stroke volume and peripheral resistance. I think much of this is due to body size, with the extreme end of this being babies and small children (either sex) who can't increase stroke volume so push their heart rates very high when sick.

In this paper, they say:

Mean/SDs from their table 2.

upload_2022-10-18_17-30-38.jpeg

Group 1 (LC) had a mean +34 HR delta. Group 2 (EBV-ME) had a mean +26 HR delta. Group 3 (insidious-ME) were +30.

So maybe no meaningful difference here. If there is a genuine difference (and to @rvallee's point) then maybe an explanation for LC being more "POTSy" relates to the associated vasculopathy and endothelial dysfunction, making vascular compensations harder to achieve and so relying on increased heart rate to boost cardiac output?

The LC patients were all <2 years duration, but the MEs were over 10 years longer, so some cardiovascular compensations may have developed.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    rvallee, Grigor, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)