1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion piece: IAPT is value-laden, non-prefigurative, non-dialogic, antidemocratic and reflects a political agenda

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Andy, Mar 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Originally published 2017.
    https://politicsandinsights.org/201...refigurative-non-dialogic-and-antidemocratic/

shak8, Trish, alktipping and 13 others like this.
  2. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some are more equal than others. ??

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Animal farm

5. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oooops!

ladycatlover likes this.
  6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the real question is how many people can see through their lies and what can be done about it .

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm afraid it's going to take a while. Big mistakes take a lot of time to unfold and this is a major one. As long as austerity is an accepted norm not much will change. Those always have a backlash, but it's slow.

I think the way forward is to bring more people to speak of their experience. It creates a public record of reality that can be unwound and it just accumulates. Pretty soon it will be possible to scour those and find knowledge within information within data. The common experience aligns with the worst case scenario depicted of this disease, unlike some of the comments we sam from Tom's post about NICE comments to the 2007 committee that have a completely fantastic perception of reality.

We may be invisible but we can be loud. The more people speak out the faster we will get out of this. I have no idea how to accomplish this. With IAPT, this is about much more than ME. It's the whole MUS project that is, quite frankly, absolutely insane. It will implode spectacularly but there is a lot of momentum behind that will keep it crashing longer than is reasonable.

There are a lot of conditions brought into this. There is a common cause for all the people affected, basically anyone with an undiagnosed health problem. I don't know how frequent that is but I'd be surprised if it's less than 5% of the population. That's a crapload of people, especially if people understood how badly screwed they would be if they developed one of those conditions and how likely it is.

alktipping, Sean and JemPD like this.