1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ophthalmic correlates of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MeSci, Feb 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Source: University of Leicester

Date: September 2017. Online: February 15, 2018

URL: https://lra.le.ac.uk/handle/2381/41228

https://lra.le.ac.uk/bitstream/2381/41228/1/2018AhmedNSMphil.pdf

Ophthalmic correlates of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Nadia Sultana Ahmed
    - College of Life Sciences, Dept. of Neuroscience, Psychology and Behaviour, University of Leicester

Abstract

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a chronic, debilitating disorder. With the exception of disabling fatigue, there are few definitive clinical features of the condition. As a consequence, patients often have difficulty gaining an appropriate diagnosis. As such, identifying distinct clinical features of ME/CFS is an important issue. One under researched area of ME/CFSassociated symptoms concerns problems related to vision. People with ME/CFS consistently report a range of symptoms related to the quality of their vision including pain in the eyes, hypersensitivity to light, difficulty focusing on images, slow eye movements, and difficulty tracking object movement. However, there has been little attempt to verify patients' self-reports using objective methods.

More at link

inox, Hutan, Jan and 9 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

inox, Invisible Woman, Barry and 2 others like this.
  3. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like there's some good stuff in here. My brain is too tired to do a proper hunt today, but have any of these findings been published in scientific journals?

(I can't remember whether findings that arise as part of an MPhil/PhD thesis need to be published in the thesis exclusively, or first - I seem to recall my flatmate having papers published while he was working towards his PhD but might be misremembering...)

ETA: I think @Andy answered my question while I was still typing it, in the post directly above...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Invisible Woman, Hutan and Andy like this.
  4. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very much enjoying skimming this. I've been unable to find an opthamologist in-network with any ME/CFS experience. All eye tests so far have been normal.

But this document might help validate my symptoms. Or at least better describe them.

Looking through the eye symptoms, I've had many for significantly longer than what I would describe as my actual ME/CFS onset.

Edit: The section on Rituximab does need to be updated to reflect the Phase III results (null).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Invisible Woman, Hutan and Andy like this.
  5. Webdog

6. Webdog

7. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Andy likes this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I wouldn't have thought so. As you say same person, same area of research but different thing being measured, so separate thread seems to make sense. :)

Invisible Woman, Hutan and MeSci like this.
  9. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

interesting to see allergic conjunctivitis there. did they report incidence? although mine was severe, it was one of my earliest symptoms as a young child. it is not usually mentioned in the community, so i presumed that it was not common. wonder if it could be an mcas or mold link, or an allergy link.

Invisible Woman and Lidia like this.