1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

OMF Poetry and Art Slam contest 'Hope and Heart for ME/CFS' January 2019

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Trish, Jan 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So many talented people in S4ME- @Trish what a powerful piece of writing. When writing about ME it has to be REAL, and real is not a fluffy meme for most of us.

Really impressive @Hell..hath..no..fury... you put how I feel exactly into words ( and in 10 minutes!!).

You are both really talented.

Not impressed with the fact they want full publishing rights etc. seems very exploitative to me.

2. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @hellytheelephant mine really doesn’t count lol, i wrote it in the bath on my phone at midnight; literally wrote, copied and pasted.

I’ve been thinking of doing one to submit but it’ll probably not happen

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for kind comments. Mine took about half an hour. I think I have a rhythm and rhyme machine in my head. Set it off and it can churn out reams of doggerel all day, most of it nonsensical. The latest bit in my head rhymes metabolic trap with pile of crap...

Edit: Just to clarify - if I used the phrase 'pile of crap' in a poem, it would refer to the PACE trial, not to the metabolic trap. It just happens to rhyme.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  4. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’d be tempted to do some art for this but I’m not comfortable with handing anything over to the OMF like that. Plus I wouldn’t be cheering anyone up with what I’d be painting.......

5. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes! That sounds like a good idea.

I am not artistic, but I have to agree that wanting exclusive rights seems a little greedy.

MSEsperanza and Invisible Woman like this.
  6. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I contacted Marilyn at OMF to let her know the concerns. This was her reply

Yes. We have heard the concern loudly. I appreciate your reaching out trying to help. We are consulting and will be modifying the language. The challenge is for the winning poems being converted into a song and art work used in video. I just posted this on Facebook:

Your feedback is appreciated and is being considered to reflect the goals of this project. The Poetry Slam and Art Slam are meant to raise awareness and bring the community together — it was not created for any royalty gains as no money is being earned by either organization. We are looking into the appropriate language to obtain permission to publish submissions on social media and our websites AND permission to create the musical piece with the chosen poems AND a video montage of selected materials. We will update the Poetry page as soon as possible.

Can you explain to me your suggestion: non-exclusive licence to publish in perpetuity be better?

@adambeyoncelowe perhaps you can contact marilyn at omf.ngo to clarify the terminology?

7. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for doing this. This is helpful.

To be fair to OMF, I did say it's likely because they don't understand what they're actually asking for, and I'm glad that seems to be the case.

I'll get in touch with Marilyn. I'll suggest some terms.

8. polly27

polly27 New Member

They have updated the terms!!! It is now non-exclusive, so that is great!

9. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it's much better. They're obviously not going to make money from this, but it's sensible to let people retain rights to their own work.

10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You've emphasised 2 very important points for me @Hell..hath..no..fury...

1) false hope is, in a way, worse than no hope at all. At least if there's no hope you can adjust and make the best of things.

2) life is lived in the little everyday things and when you sacrifice those in the false hope of being able to do so much more tomorrow that's a very great sacrifice indeed.

Both of those being the underpinnings of the BPS strategy.

You put it so well.