1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

OMEGA AGM & Karl Morten - latest Biomedical Research into ME from Oxford, Sept 18th 2021, 2pm UK

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"THIS EVENT IS ONLINE ONLY. It will be held on Zoom, hosted by OMEGA. You will be sent a link to the meeting shortly before the start time to the email address you sign up with. This event is FREE. Any enquiries, please email enquire.omega@gmail.com.

OMEGA is a support group for people with ME and those who wish to help them. We are delighted to have Dr Karl Morten with us for our Annual General Meeting.

Dr Karl Morten will present his current research projects investigating the causes and biological mechanisms of ME/CFS from14:30 - 16:00 BST."

Register and further details at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/omeg...arch-into-me-from-oxford-tickets-162977745825

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from @Ben H twitter thread:

From the Morten Group at Oxford: "Our ME/CFS Raman diagnostic paper is just back from review. They like it! But we need to run a further set of expts with new blood samples. Really important we get the PhD funded in order to collect new bloods."

"In this proposal we will explore this association in detail in ME/CFS, Chronic Lyme and Long Covid examining not only the gut but also the currently unexplored blood biome."

"We propose that the blood biome and its association with a leaky gut could be a pivotal factor in a number of chronic conditions including #ME/cfs, #LymeDisease and #Long covid."

"The tools to study rare L-form bacteria in our blood and tissues are now available and we will utilise new technologies at two research centres at The University of Oxford and Softcell Biological research"

"This PhD project will recruit ME/CFS patients using the current Institute of Medicine (IOM) criteria with follow up clinical assessments in collaboration with experienced ME/CFS clinical researchers..."

..."Lyme patients (Dublin) and Long Covid patients (Oxford) will also be recruited."

"The final part of the PHD will involve the characterisation of L-form bacteria derived from MECFS patients using Raman microscopy. This technique will look for unique L-form fingerprints which we can be used to identify L-forms present in blood cells from patients".

https://twitter.com/user/status/1434190297945284610

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I was wondering that as well. Also there website requires quite a few clicks to get through to the actual donation piece.

5. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was going to have a listen to the presentation on Saturday first.

6. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks everyone.

Invisible Woman and MEMarge like this.
  9. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Curious how the talk was or is? I'm not able to watch myself.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  10. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was recorded, so hopefully will be available later.

11. Grigor

Yes this I heard, the problem is I can't process videos or sounds.

12. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah sorry to hear that. I only joined the webinar for 15 mins today but noticed they were recording it, so I’ll watch more later. It looked interesting - something about, could mitochondria have a role beyond energy production? Could they be involved in pathogen response? He also discussed the microbiome and leaky gut.

MEMarge, sebaaa, Grigor and 4 others like this.
  13. Grigor

14. Grigor

Thank you so much! Appreciate it!

hinterland and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. Grigor

MEMarge, ukxmrv, hinterland and 5 others like this.
  16. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Watching bit by bit I’ve reached the end of KM’s talk (it finishes at about 1 hour 10 minutes). I haven’t watched the Q&A. I need to watch again to really take in what he is saying, but found it very interesting. I’m sorry that I don’t have the capability to provide coherent notes on something so long.

17. Sly Saint

he talks a fair bit about this research paper
    (see around 22.31 for slide)

https://www.s4me.info/threads/effic...nal-membrane-systems-2021-ravera-et-al.21269/

eta:
    he then goes on to talk about Prustys work in germany.
    starts talking about the microbiome around 25.40

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  18. Sly Saint

Interesting bit on antibiotics
    more on disbiosis and leaky gut.
    then talks about this research
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/plasm...expansion-and-me-cfs-2020-lipkin-et-al.16005/

around 42.00
    last part is the research done by Soft Cell,
    and KMs groups FMT research.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021