1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NY Times: "Why Hospitals Should Let You Sleep"

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I couldn't agree more with what is said in this article. During my hospital stay earlier this year, once my procedures were done to widen my bile duct and remove my gallstone, I would say my condition deteriorated due to sleep deprivation.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/03/upshot/why-hospitals-should-let-you-sleep.html

2. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I said to the doctors I wasnt getting sleep on an nhs ward, bright fluorescent light on till midnight, old ladies toileting through the night, nurses changing cannula at 6 am because the day staff would be too busy and then all go from 6am onwards as people wake and lights go on, I was told that hospitals weren’t the place to expect sleep. Not in a horrible way just matter of fact way. NHs hospitals are about emergency care on a shoe strong budget, not about deeper levels of caring and support for well being.
    It’s deeply ironic that such an important thing to well being, comfort and mental health is still disregarded. I saw this was hospital in the USA not UK but it’s a topic here too

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    rvallee, Lisa108, Barry and 8 others like this.
  3. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a huge problem for all patients, for us and others who are chronically ill, it means that a stay in hospital really depletes your energy rather than building it up.

Lisa108, WillowJ, Dolphin and 8 others like this.
  4. Cinders66

I think ME is especially vulnerable as it can lead to lasting harm not just an unpleasant experience

5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope I never have a long hospital stay because part of their 'recovery' protocol is making you get up and walk. This can be detrimental for the ME patient and autonomic issues if hospital staff don't understand the illness, and they most likely won't.

6. Cinders66

In the U.K. hospitals are doing this initiative called pyjama day where staff wear them to demonstrate that they don’t let people lie around all day...

Invisible Woman likes this.
  7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

God forbid that a patient might want to rest...

Lisa108, WillowJ, Dolphin and 2 others like this.
  8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd much prefer they just did their job. They don't let the patient lie around all day - even if that's what they might need. Since when and why did the patient become the enemy who must be made better despite themselves?

What about mutual respect and consideration?

Some people should bear in mind that without patients, or when they're all queuing in the IAPT clinic, there won't be jobs. Then they'll be joining us in our dealings with Jobcentre Plus (Benefits Agency/DWP).

Trish, Arnie Pye and Mij like this.
  9. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe they have data showing that patients who move more in some conditions, particularly surgery/injury in an otherwise healthy person, are doing better, but I'm not sure it isn't a correlation/ causation mistake. I haven't seen the studies.

I doubt they considered people with ME and other conditions where moving or exertion is detrimental.

10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do believe this is true, for some patients.

I naffs me off is the them and us tone. I don't/won't tolerate being pushed or dictated too. I don't see why anyone should. Patient/carer relationships be that doctor or nurses, should be based on mutual respect and trust - a working, equal partnership.

Snowdrop and Cinders66 like this.