1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

USA radio: NPR/WHYY Episode: The Aftermath of Viruses

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by wingate, Mar 26, 2021.

1. wingate

wingate Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting show about the aftermath of viruses on NPR station WHYY this morning.

One segment focuses on long COVID. Includes interviews with an immunologist who studies long-term impacts of viruses on the body and a physician trying to help her many patients suffering from long COVID.

Second segment focuses on ME/CFS. Interviews Leonard Jason and also includes descriptions of ME/CFS from several patients living with the illness.

In contrast to some other lousy opinion pieces in the US news this week, this podcast was much better informed and empathetic toward the serious, debilitating nature of these illnesses.

https://whyy.org/episodes/the-aftermath-of-viruses/

Colin, ahimsa, Andy and 22 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

oh cool - they have separated the part with Leonard Jason and ME to this 8 minutes segment which is also in written version.

Quote:
    The pandemic and its sudden onslaught of long-haulers unable to smell, or out of breath for months on end, may force a change.

They’ve ignited renewed investment in viral research that could end up helping those with ME/CFS. But Jason said the sheer visibility of long-haulers is invaluable.

“I think the fact, there’s so many thousands, hundreds of thousands of people who are sick, and who have had, you know, stellar careers and … they want to basically figure out what’s wrong,” Jason said. “You have that whole group that is … basically trying to get their voice heard. They won’t be silenced.”

https://whyy.org/segments/how-covid-long-haulers-might-renew-the-focus-on-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

Colin, ahimsa, Andy and 7 others like this.