1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NPR: 2018 April 5. Ineffective treatment often prescribed for low back pain.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by WillowJ, Apr 5, 2018.

1. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...reatment-often-prescribed-for-lower-back-pain

Wherein The Lancet, Cochrane, O.H.S.U., and University of Washington tout C.B.T. and lament how rarely it’s used.

K, Medicaid and Medicare aren’t covering alternative medicine for the most part, either, as far as I know.

Ps, I cannot create a U.W. tag as too few characters. Therefore, the tag is U.dub, which a local pronunciation.

E.T.A.: just to be clear, this is not a recommendation. Esther12 knew that, but in case anyone else didn’t. I can’t recall how to edit a title but it may be long enough already.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nor will most physicians recommend them. I have a herniated disc. I get a lot of relief from an anti-imflammitory pain med/supplement that I get at the "health-food" store. I seriously think that I would be back of opioids by now if I hadn't found it.

ETA: There is no way CBT would work for a herniated disc. And you can't exercise when you cannot even move. I'm all for medication and physical therapy once the medication has done it's job.

I only started using the OTC product once the meds and physical therapy had done their job.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Twaddle.

Hutan, sea, WillowJ and 2 others like this.
  4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A good chiropractor can handle many back pain issues (not all, once too much damage is done its permanent), but the profession has shot itself in the foot by clinging to debunked 18th century stupidity. Then you get chiros who keep you coming back forever further staining the profession's reputation :emoji_face_palm:

CBT is laughable, is there anything they won't recommend it for? Is there a list somewhere?
    Perhaps the best response is to advertise CBT for them, what won't it cure, pretend something does't exist is the default of all the CBT nutcases :emoji_face_palm:

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Care to clarify? I'm all for the succinct response, but I'm not clear which bit of which post you are referring to as twaddle.

NelliePledge and Arnie Pye like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can you let us into the secret? What is it called? I know people with bad backs who are probably willing to try anything.

7. Alvin

A well trained non shyster chiropractor. If they lived in my city i would recommend my person, she is amazing and needs cloning.

8. Arnie Pye

Unfortunately, the person I'm thinking of has been to chiropractors before. One of them made him faint. Several of them have made him worse. A few have achieved nothing either good or bad. He would never agree to see another one.

sea likes this.
  9. Alvin

I see, thats why ones who know what they are doing are the ticket

Perhaps you can convince him to visit a clone of my chiropractor.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Everything quoted seems to be twaddle. Back pain has a whole range of causes, which need to be identified and treated in an appropriate way. Broad brush propaganda on what is good or bad, like surgery or medicine or CBT is simple nonsense. Some people benefit from surgery. Many do not. There is no evidence it has anything to do with being sedentary. It is at the level of a Virgin Atlantic flight magazine.

Hutan, TiredSam, TrixieStix and 9 others like this.
  11. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, except, CBT can only help with coping, including reducing emotional response to pain.

There’s no logical way it could help with the pain itself (unless by changing some activity or positioning that was causing pain, but I think that’s usually called biofeedback, except a few strange ones who call it symptom focusing).

Arnie Pye and Invisible Woman like this.
  12. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is called Curamin. It contains curcumin and some other things. It is made by Terry Naturally. I have no idea if it is available in the U.K. It is very good for inflammation. I don't know how much it would help non-inflammatory pain. I think it is supposed to.

13. Arnie Pye

Thanks @Little Bluestem . I'll do some research. It might benefit a couple of people I'm thinking of.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  14. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chronic lower back pain was recently shown to be linked to spinal disc infection with the same bacteria that cause acne.

Art Vandelay and Arnie Pye like this.
  15. Arnie Pye

So, does that imply that many chronic lower back pain sufferers could be fixed with antibiotics of the type that are prescribed for severe acne?

16. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes if you select patients with this type of back pain: see this study.

Arnie Pye likes this.
  17. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Quite high then.

Hutan, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.