1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Vincent Deary, "CFS and the facts of life - an article for clinicians"

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think it might be tripe (animal stomach - my mother tried making me eat it once, erk!). Suggestion that the document by Deary is tripe.

MEMarge, Jan, ladycatlover and 6 others like this.
  3. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah yes!! of course!

4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gotta love my brain, I immediately got that it was tripe, but the reason for posting a picture of it completely escaped me ;)

MEMarge, zzz, Jan and 11 others like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  6. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes tripe...more visually recognisable than bilge ...and I do work with food so seemed appropriate :)

This picture may be a repeating theme when I can't be bothered to write a load of text as to why it's so awful ...probably need something that represents a delightful piece (slice of cake?)

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Woolie and 5 others like this.
  7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Maybe we should start an S4ME picture library for the verbally challenged:
    tripe-ox copy.jpg hogwash copy.jpg Bollocks.jpg BS copy 2.jpg vomit copy.jpg

MEMarge, TigerLilea, Jan and 8 others like this.
  8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  10. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I think that's mission accomplished @Woolie :sneaky:

MEMarge, NelliePledge, Woolie and 4 others like this.
  11. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@arewenearlythereyet I don't mind you posting pictures of tripe, even though it makes me feel like this :

[​IMG]

But please make it smaller, to reduce the Ewwww factor. :wtf:

;)

12. Viola

Viola Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember years ago being on an ME forum which some groups had set up. I think it was called ME Message UK. The ME Association was involved, I think along with some other groups and patients in general.

Vincent Deary joined but didn't introduce himself. Ellen Goudsmit was on the list and spotted the name and questioned him on the list if he was the same Vincent Deary that is mentioned in this thread. It was (I think he left, or at least went quiet after he was outed) and after that I think a rule came in to say that any professionals had to identify themselves if they joined so people would know, and this seems common practice on patient lists now.

I don't know if he had intended being somewhat incognito on the board to see what patients were saying, but I was glad he had been recognised as I find it a bit creepy/odd that these people would join and lurk unknown on patient support groups where people are sharing private details of their lives (that these "professionals" might use against patients in their public pronouncements, as sometimes happens).

I get the impression from some things he has said that Simon Wessley sometimes lurks a bit on patient groups.

Just to clarify, I don't object to professionals joining if they are open about who they are, and if they are respectful of patients and not joining the list merely to selectively quote-mine to bash patients.

Off-Topic re vomiting shite
    My Dad told me there was a magazine in Ireland (I can't remember the title, but I think it covered basically current affairs and cultural issues). I think it was an Irish language magazine (Irish is a minority language in Ireland, a bit like Welsh maybe in Wales, or Scots Gaelic in Scotland, though it would be more commonly spoken than Scots Gaelic).

A minister had said something they didn't like (unfortunately I can't remember what he said...hmm I am probably missing a key part of the plot here :facepalm:). They put a cartoon of him vomiting shite on the front page of the magazine to show what they thought of what he said.

13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've always wanted to know what Deary's comments were on that forum, from when I first heard about his undercover adventure. I'd love to be able discuss things with someone like him.

MEMarge, Inara, Viola and 4 others like this.
  14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Woolie It must have been a pastiche of that statue of the bull that I saw. I could have sworn that it was entitled, "On the contemplation of a china shop, the biopsychosocial effect".

15. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was the Yahoo email List set up by Colin Barton. From what I recall somebody was a bit critical of his ME Group, so he pulled the plug on the List and deleted all the archives in a fit of pique, with no warning.

MEMarge and Invisible Woman like this.
  16. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doubt you'd get any straight answers.

Valentijn, Inara, Esther12 and 3 others like this.
  17. Viola

Viola Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No that is not the list I am talking about. Colin Barton's was IMEGA-e. The other list (I'm pretty sure it was called ME Message UK) was set up I think by the ME Association, Afme and possibly AYME. I thought it was creepier that Deary joined that one as it was basically a patient support list, so it was like turning up at a support group meeting for patients and not mentioning that you were a clinician that basically held them in contempt.

Colin Barton's list was for group leaders, so I wouldn't have found it as odd there as it wasn't for sharing personal stories, and we knew there were a few CBT/GET clinic promoters on the list including Colin Barton himself (so I half-expected anything interesting to be reported back to CBT-ers).

I think I have the messages on an old computer, which reminds me I must get it my info off that computer and on to this one. I don't remember him posting much, possibly only one message before Ellen outed him and then I think he went a bit quiet and possibly left alltogether.

I get the impression from some of what he has said that Simon Wessely also joins lists to see what people are saying about him. Narcissist.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Arnie Pye, MEMarge, Valentijn and 7 others like this.
  18. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, that's the one. Deary was there too, he was there for a while before being chucked off. I think the computer that I had that stuff on was so long ago we probably chucked it out years ago. I'm not a great one for backing up even though more recently I have cloud back up capability that I pay for. :rolleyes:

MEMarge and Invisible Woman like this.
  19. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you gave your permission to a Tweeter on here I am sure they would Tweet on your behalf, @Jonathan Edwards

I am still only at the stage of retweeting messages from others. Writing my own tweet has not reached high enough on my priority list to spend time working out how to do it, or what my password is....

20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prof Vincent Deary
    Professor
    Department: Psychology

https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/our-staff/d/vincent-deary/

MEMarge and Trish like this.