1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

(not a recommendation) ME/CFS and Freeze: using Naviauxs research to explain the role of trauma

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Sly Saint, Sep 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Given that our ancestors going back a hundred years or more probably all had pretty ghastly, dangerous, insecure, violent, death-filled, and highly unpredictable lives, I would imagine that if trauma were intergenerational, the human race would be so messed up we would have died out long ago!

MEMarge, Sarah94, Helen and 14 others like this.
  2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

How exciting! Real kudos! Sad to say mine were boring immigrants.

Wait a minute, shouldn't all Australians with non-aboriginal ethnicity get seasick often? That is, all of those whose ancestors arrived before there were planes?

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How do we know they don't? I call for a study into this, preferably conducted without meeting or talking to any Australians, as they could introduce bias by giving answers. And the dataset should be split depending on hair colour - as IMO this makes as much sense as......

4. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Well I teach English to a 70-year old Jewish lady, both of whose grandfathers died in concentration camps, and she's as fit as a fiddle and bright as a button. How many people whose ancestors suffered trauma are not chronically ill? How does the incidence of chronic illness of people whose ancestors suffered trauma differ from those whose ancestors inhabited a bucolic paradise on earth? Is there any difference? The burden of proof is on Ms. Mead, so she'd better start printing some questionnaires for a study to gather evidence in time honoured BPS fashion.

Sarah94, Helen, Perrier and 13 others like this.
  5. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As soon as I see the word healing I just stop reading these days.

MEMarge, Sarah94, Skycloud and 8 others like this.
  7. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd like to know what you do when you read the word 'healing', but I couldn't finish reading your sentence as when I see the word 'healing' I stop reading these days.

MEMarge, Helene, Sarah94 and 10 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Slight lapse in logic there, I think, @TiredSam . If they died in the camps, then presumably the trauma they suffered there happened after they had passed on their genes.

MEMarge, Sarah94, Skycloud and 5 others like this.
  9. TiredSam

He just stops reading these days (when he hears that word you mentioned).

Lapses in logic are explicitly welcomed - how do you think BPS theory progresses? The epigenetic explanation is so last Thursday, and fails to explain those cases where ancestral trauma is transmitted after the genes have been passed on. It is this limitation of the BPS interpretation of epigenetic theory that I was trying to address. Did you actually read my post before launching your completely unwarranted personal attack?

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

:D

MEMarge, Helene, NelliePledge and 6 others like this.
  11. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you want me to report this to the moderation team Sam?

Well done on the punctuation by the way.

Woolie, Skycloud, Sarah and 3 others like this.
  12. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I stubbed my toe pretty badly a few weeks ago. Do you think the trauma from this somehow traveled back in time and caused me to get ME/CFS 20 odd years ago? Maybe I warped space because I kicked the sofa so hard and logically if I’ve warped space I’d have also warped time.

It took days for that toe to stop being sore, days!

13. TiredSam

Yes, that's why I said that the epigenetic model is so limited, it neglects gravitational wave theory. If you stub your toe hard enough it sends out a gravitational wave which causes a space-time distortion in exactly the way you describe. I will be publishing a paper in the Bristol Echo shortly, just as soon as I've obtained ethical approval to telephone a random sample of 5-year-olds and ask them a few questions. Once I've got that I'll stub my toe really hard so that I can publish immediately and carry out the feasibility study later. Or earlier, depending on how you look at it. It's all relative. Especially in Bristol.

Sarah94, MEMarge, Helene and 11 others like this.
  14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Epigenetic modifications can be inherited, there is some data on this, but there are a lot of unproven hypotheses as well.

janice, Manganus, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Epigenetics aside, the intergenerational inheritance of acquired characteristics is called Lamarckism, and is an obsolete hypothesis, thoroughly debunked.

Society functions as an intergenerational memory though. This gives rise to all sorts of weird unproven hypotheses as well.

Sarah94, janice, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  16. Manganus

Manganus Established Member (Voting Rights)

This is also my judgement. :unsure:

A pity, though! It might have been interesting, if she had been less focused on alt.med and the unproved polyvagal and "Social Nervous System" theories.

Trish and andypants like this.
  17. Cytokinda

Cytokinda Established Member

For trauma-induced epigenetic changes to pass to offspring, they'd have to be expressed in the germ line cells. (right?)
    I'm sold on this theory! My grampa was kicked in the testes at the Battle of the Bulge! </sarcasm>

MEMarge likes this.