1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Norway and prof. Gundersen: PACE-debate in newspaper Morgenbladet

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Just about to reply to this and now see that you've found it. For anyone else interested, the blogger John the Jack discovered that Queen Mary University of London, the employer of Peter White at that time, spent just short of £250k fighting to prevent the release of the PACE data, https://johnthejack.com/2016/06/29/using-public-money-to-keep-publicly-funded-data-from-the-public/

2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree and disagree, relegating people to certain sections only is not conducive to treating them with dignity yet we don't need trolls or people spouting obvious lies either. So i agree its tricky in a sense. Being ethical is more complicated then being unethical, so i'm glad you mentioned your thoughts because we should figure out how to handle things the best way possible since we aim to be more ethical then our opponents.

I agree, this is about the best way to look at this that we have available

I disagree, people who post painful personal information being picked apart and showing up in court decisions and analyzed by strangers. In fact i would like to see members only area restricted to longer term vetted members, it would not be perfect (though i wish it could) and trolls/PACErs could still get in if they tried hard and faked many posts (proving what they are about) but we have a members only area for a reason, otherwise everything should be public.

This is why i was disagreeing earlier, they don't see us as equals with a disability, they look down on us. Seeing our personal information would not change their minds, it would give them more ammunition. I know many will disagree with this, but my opinion on this comes from things beyond this forum.

I agree, they are peddling pseudoscience repackaged as science and dismissing inconvenient facts. And when confronted they vilify us by accusing us of making threats instead of acknowledging their malfeasance (an example of how they think of us, throwing us under the bus by harmful treatment foisting and vilifying us, two for one :emoji_face_palm: )

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    MEMarge and Luther Blissett like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is the thin end of a very big wedge if we decide membership on whether we like/agree with people or not. It exhibits significant bias, and bias is what we strive against all the time. Let's not give those people just cause to accuse us of bias, no matter what kind of bias.

4. Barry

Exactly what I've been pondering, but not formulated well enough to get the words down. Thank you Jonathan. Agree 100%.

5. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree

They already do and will continue to accuse us anyways.
    That said we should not aim to become like them because its not who we are and the facts are on our side.

6. Barry

Of course they do, but as I said, let's not give them just cause.

Luther Blissett and petrichor like this.
  7. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Morgenbladet didn’t fancy what I wrote, they thinks there is nothing unfair with Gundersen text. So when I was critical, they meant I was unjust. Not happy about Morgenbladet.

MEMarge, inox, Indigophoton and 7 others like this.
  8. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry to hear that. On the plus side, I use experiences like this to inform how trustworthy a media source is. If it is untrustworthy or unreliable on something I know about, why should I trust it in areas I don't know about?

Atle, MarcNotMark, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  9. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is development (I quarreled a bit with Morgenbladet). But I don’t like to write so much here, since everybody can read. Probably we can report with an answer in Morgenbladet here soon.

Solstice, Atle, Esther12 and 7 others like this.
  10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New answer to Gundersen from The Norwegian ME Association.

ME-syke fortjener å bli lyttet til og respektert
    google translation: ME-patients deserved to be listened to and respected

It is the treatment of ME patients in many places in the world that is a "horror example", not ME patients themselves, as Kristian Gundersen writes in a post in Morgenbladet February 21 . For many years, ME patients have been exposed to treatments that make them worse, while being called "activists" and "bullies" when they point this out, and ascribed motives and opinions they do not have. It is high time that we listen to the patients' arguments and stop making this enemy image. We are at a time when the view of CFS/ME is changing rapidly and no one is served with a polarized situation.

11. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Woolie, Luther Blissett, inox and 8 others like this.