1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE Statement about graded exercise therapy in the context of COVID-19

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by InitialConditions, Jul 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Good to have confirmation that the guidelines on chronic primary pain don’t apply to PWME.

The wording about GET that CoVId patients are not within the scope of the ME guidance is very weasel words fence sitting and will not influence any NHS staff who are determined that GET should be used or unaware of the issues to change their approach.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oof. Terrible response. That's what happens when feedback mechanisms are broken on purpose to maintain a delusional fantasy. They respond to things happening saying that they are not happening. Like talking to a wall.

Either they are not aware that GPs routinely advise this for post-Covid, or don't care. But they are. That's a fact. Whether they intend their guidelines to be used this way or not is irrelevant, they are because they are written in the most possibly vague way, a concern that was raised constantly since. The criteria used are so vague they could apply to half the population because everything is open to interpretation and there is no oversight whatsoever. Basically washing their hands of how their guidelines are used. This organization is completely broken.

alktipping likes this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

...or it's operating exactly the way it was designed and intended to.

For some reason people seem to think that NICE was set up, and is operated, for the benefit of patients.

The evidence would suggest that this is not, and never has been, the case.

alktipping, Daisymay, janice and 5 others like this.
  5. rvallee

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It's obviously being promoted as part of the fightback against the draft NICE guideline. Great to see @PhysiosforME challenging this.

7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly pediatrics is particularly awful

8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the tweet from the RCPH is no longer available. I hope someone, somewhere took a screen shot, as it would be good to collect these statements from large healthcare orgs. to demonstrate to NICE just how much things need to change.

9. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh Yes I did! Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 01.04.00.png

I have no idea why emojis appear as they should not!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  10. Suffolkres

Posted elsewhere mods so feel free to move consolidate!
    Mod note: Go here to discuss this Suffolk guideline
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/me-cfs-services-in-the-uk.5625/page-10#post-307648

Joint Trust Guideline for the Management and onward referral of: CFS/ME (ChronicFatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalopathy) in Children and Young People
    A Clinical Guideline For Use in: All out-patient and in-patient paediatric settings
    By: All paediatric medical and nursing staff. Allied health professionals particularly children’s occupational therapists and physiotherapists
    For: Children and young people with CFS/MEDivision responsible for document:paediatricsKey words: CFS/ME Children
    Name of document author:Dr Aravind Shastri
    Job title of document author:Service Director
    Name of document author’s Line Manager:Dr Mary-Anne Morris
    Job title of author’s Line Manager:Chief of service, Paediatrics
    Supported by:Dr Stephen Nirmal Consultant PaediatricianJPUH
    Assessed and approved by the:Clinical Guidelines Assessment Panel (CGAP) in conjunction with JPUH.
    Chairs action Date of approval:08/05/2019
    Ratified by or reported as approved to (if applicable):Clinical Safety and Effectiveness Sub-Board

To be reviewed before:This document remains current after this date but will be under review 08/05/2022
    To be reviewed by:Dr Aravind ShastriReference and / or Trust Docs ID No:JCG0051 id 1283

Version No:3Description of changes: Reviewed and referral information updated
    Compliance links: (is there any NICE related to guidance)Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (or encephalopathy), NICE clinical guideline 53,
    If Yes - does the strategy/policy deviate from the recommendations of NICE? If so why?No deviation
    This guideline has been approved by the Trust's Clinical Guidelines Assessment Panel as an aid to the diagnosis and management of relevant patients and clinical circumstances. Not every patient or situation fits neatly into a standard guideline scenario and the guideline must be interpreted and applied in practice in the light of prevailing clinical circumstances, the diagnostic and treatment options available and the professional judgement, knowledge and expertise of relevant clinicians. It is advised that the rationale for any departure from relevant guidance should be documented in the patient's case notes.The Trust's guidelines are made publicly available as part of the collective endeavour to continuously improve the quality of healthcare through sharing medical experience and knowledge. The Trust accepts no responsibility for any misunderstanding or misapplication of this document.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2020
    alktipping, Invisible Woman and Wonko like this.
  11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is really not much good in this, and in conjunction with the usual fixation ( sleep hygiene and limiting rest periods ) , there is only GET as CBT is " currently unavailable "
    FII marked for pitential investigation from early on .....

Looks very like the recent RCGP guideline highlighted elsewhere.

12. Suffolkres

Which was miraculously withdrawn this week.......

Attached Files:

MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Amw66 like this.
  13. Suffolkres

https://elearning.rcgp.org.uk/course/search.php?search=elearning

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This online course provides GPs and other primary care practitioners with an overview of the presentation, diagnosis, assessment and ongoing management of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME).

It highlights common misconceptions about CFS/ME and considers the challenges that surround this complex condition for patients, carers and primary care professionals.

This course is produced as part of the METRIC study, funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Research for Patient Benefit programme, which aims to improve the care of adults with CFS/ME by developing information and resources for patients and education for primary care professionals.

This course is FREE to RCGP members and available for purchase by other healthcare professionals.

The course is currently offline while being reviewed to be in accordance with new NICE guidelines.

[​IMG]

Start Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Time to complete this course: 1.5 hours
    Date of publication: May 2012
    Reviewed: April 2018
    to be reviewed upon new NICE guidance

Category: Clinical Courses and Certifications

MEMarge, Invisible Woman, Joh and 5 others like this.
  14. rvallee

Posted right next to "exploitation of children". Well, ain't that on the nose.

15. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another brick falling. I slammed this program last year and wrote to Carolyn Chew-Graham about it, since she was the lead author of it. She has seemingly backtracked, given her comments in the Royal Society of Medicine meaning. Since the new draft won't be out until April, this sounds like they assume the changes in the draft will be permanent. Hm.

janice, MEMarge, alktipping and 13 others like this.
  16. rvallee

It's almost comical to consider the timeline of them posting this as something to be proud of, only to have to literally take it offline 2 days later. Especially after so much resistance over the years. Because something must have spurred the idea that it would be good to promote this polished turd, someone had to have the idea without knowing any of the details involved and likely really thought they were helping.

Wait, not almost. It would be hilarious if it wasn't for the real-life consequences that were forced onto vulnerable children, but it's still pretty comical, in a twisted humor kind of way.

Must be puzzling for those who bought the crap about a small militant group (was it the same group for the entire decades-long span?!) now seeing the exact same comments from not only long haulers but medical professionals with LC. But then again this is a group of people who routinely hold mutually contradictory beliefs in their heads and see no problems so what's another cognitive dissonance on top of all the rest?

17. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Actually, we crossed paths here. I was referring to the RCGP long-standing METRIC program, which has now been taken down. You're talking about the pediatrics site that was promoted and taken down in two days. it's not clear to me if that pediatrics thing was something new, or was that something that was up there that they suddenly decided to promote?

18. rvallee

Oh crap I definitely mixed them up. Still, good news.

19. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a screenshot!

ScottTriGuy, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  20. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RCPCH elearning was from 2015, reviewed in 2018 and due for further review in 2021. Grrrhhh

MEMarge, Sly Saint, Trish and 4 others like this.