1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Scandinavia

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Kalliope, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Anders_Vang

Anders_Vang Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An update, the op-ed from Mehlsen/La Cour from the other day is no longer paywalled. Happy reading/G translating, same link: https://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/d...svigter-personer-med-kronisk-traethedssyndrom

ETA: Also, I just learned this change was due to a request from patients here who worked to gather the authors' consent to making this publicly available. That is so cool and really good to see the outlet respond positively.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    alktipping, Ravn, mango and 3 others like this.
  2. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article is part of a series of profiles of pwME in Denmark.

Propatienter: Controversial illness changed Rasmus' life
    https://propatienter.dk/nyheder/4164-omdiskuteret-sygdom-forandrede-rasmus-liv.html

https://propatienter-dk.translate.g...=da&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

alktipping, Lilas, cfsandmore and 5 others like this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I expect my opinion can be annoying but I don't think the rebuttal from Catherine Engsig was particularly helpful. No one had said anything about stigma so why go there. Better to have rebutted the idiotic view that the psych studies were scientific and that NICE reviewed them and found they lacked validity. Or something along those lines.

Missed opportunity IMO.

4. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Vanjas Wikström kraschade när sambon blev sjuk i ME: ”Som att vara ensamstående”
    https://www.allas.se/relationer/vanjas-wikstrom-kraschade-nar-sambon-blev-sjuk-i-me/8233897
    Google Translate, English

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  5. Anders_Vang

By no means annoying. I can see your point but for this particular article, the last section of quotes from Fink, Engsig and others was pieced together from different previous articles by the same outlet. So it ends up appearing as more of a 'conversation' than is in fact the case. I'm guessing neither of them was consulted again for this particular piece. Engsig's full testimony, responding to the NICE guidelines and particularly the classification of ME as a 'functional disorder' in Denmark, is here (and actually predates the quote from Fink): https://propatienter.dk/nyheder/3939-me-patienter-verden-over-har-faet-kaempesejr-i-dag.html

Art Vandelay, mango and alktipping like this.
  6. Snowdrop

Yes, I expect you're right and I did think of it after posting but I feel that while the stigma comment is very valid people who speak publicly to the press need to really be on top of things. The stigma issue (again while valid) is a soft issue and can only ever be an opinion even if true. Better to make a plain clear statement refuting some specific piece of misinformation when the opportunity presents itself. And repeating it again and again.

alktipping and Anders_Vang like this.
  7. Anders_Vang

I agree with you in principle although knowing the amount of work Cathrine is doing both representing patients in the media and advocating on our behalf behind the scenes with politicians, authorities and clinicians, I don't think the criticism applies to her -- e.g. she, along with others at the Danish ME Association, are really leading the way here in terms of helping refute misinformation and guide authorities to adopt a science-based approach to ME. It's just proving such an uphill battle and often hard to get the media interested in the nuts and bolts of the science. I think invoking the stigma in addition to this, given how widely patients experience it, is not a problem per se.

As a side-note on the matter of stigma, in Denmark the topic has seen a particularly strange twist as the Health Authority, when launching a set of scientifically baseless, so-called 'neutral' diagnostic codes under the 'functional diseases' umbrella a couple of years back, went to quite some length branding those as 'non-stigmatising' (official guidelines here: https://www.sst.dk/-/media/Udgivels...elser/Kodning-af-funktionelle-lidelser-1.ashx). The idea seems to be to 'de-stigmatise' functional disorders as a term, promoting these newly invented codes over actual diagnoses such as ME(!). It has been pretty astonishing to see this kind of push-back from authorities, clearly more interested in advancing a particular agenda/ideology than ensuring evidence-based diagnostics and treatments. I honestly don't completely understand their argument re de-stigmatisation, possibly because it doesn't make much sense... Anyway, apologies, long story.

Sean, alktipping, Lilas and 3 others like this.
  8. Snowdrop

@Anders_Vang

Yes, thanks for the context which I don't have and of course matters when responding to things. Different countries will have some differences in the challenges they face vis a vis the BPS lies. It's even possible she provided a larger message which was then picked through to give a non-responsive response by the writer (this also occurred to me later as is often the case).

I am encouraged by her courage to persevere in the face of the institutional bad faith actors working to ensure they themselves benefit.

My point really was not a strong one. Though I will say I do still think that refuting the flawed science over and over might be a good tactic too.

alktipping, Anders_Vang and Trish like this.
  9. Anders_Vang

@Snowdrop
    All good, and glad you're encouraged by the advocacy work here -- I very much share the sentiment.
    Completely agree.

Just made me think to share a couple of pages at the Danish ME Association website that I find really useful, given that a lot of their work is quite transparent: https://me-foreningen.dk/om-me/me-og-politik/ for most political developments, e.g. correspondence with authorities and ministerial questions, and https://me-foreningen.dk/nyheder/nyhedskilde-2/ which collates basically all domestic media coverage of ME. Hopefully of interest to some in the forum despite being all in Danish.

alktipping and petrichor like this.
  10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A feature article (paywalled) in the Norwegian newspaper Klassekampen titled: Missing: Emilie

It's about 23 year old Emilie who suffers from severe ME.

The article describes in detail her every day life and the battle against those who should be there to help.

For instance when Emilie was still at school and a school outing was planned. Emilie's mother applied for a wheel chair in order to make is possible for Emilie to participate. The occupational therapist who received the application was instead about to send message of concern to the Child Welfare Services. The mother didn't ask the municipality for help again until Emilie had turned 18 and had become too old for the Child Welfare Services.

When the family moved to a new house, the scheduled ambulance never turned up, and they had to come up with an alternative solution on the spot.

The article described how inventive her family has been to find solutions to give her the care she needs and how she's too ill for visitors, so she communicated with the journalist on e-mail.

One of the questions Emilie is asked is what she'd do if she was Minister of Health for one day. She answers:

- Earmarked funding for biomedical research into ME over the state budget
    - 24 hour institutional care for very severe ME sufferers
    - An administrative coordinated care for ME sufferers in need of care, in order to lighten the burden of family carers
    - An ME team in the municipalities with psychologists and school nurses

Psychologist Lishaugen in Emilie's municipality discovered the sub group ME patients when she started working with adolescents with long term school absence. She says they're a really invisible group. So alone with their parents. Often only in contact with their GP.

"I picture all the threads in their network, everything they have of school, hobbies, friends and neighbourhood, and see how each thread becomes more and more frayed. All of a sudden, this thread is gone as well. In the end it's just them".

https://klassekampen.no/utgave/2022-02-26/savnet-emilie

This post has been copied to a new thread:
    Norway - series of articles about ME in the newspaper Klassekampen, 2022

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2022
  11. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

And at the same time Aftenposten and VG (and probably others) have another "got well after LP" article :(

cfsandmore, mango, Trish and 2 others like this.
  12. Kalliope

Opinion piece by civil engineer and ME patient Benedikte Monrad-Krohn in the medical newspaper Dagens Medisin

quote:

Although research on behavioral therapies has not differentiated between patients with and without PEM, the results are still interesting. Some argue that "it is the best we have". But the results are not very good; effect corresponds to a medium placebo effect. In the long-term follow-ups, the control groups take over the treatment groups, and there is zero effect on objective goals where one has them.

One can't conclude with anything at all because the combination of unblinded studies and subjective outcome measures that many studies have, can give large biases in the results due to systemic biases, such as placebo effects.

The vast majority of research on behavior, ie exercise and therapy, is done on broad patient groups who only need to have had fatigue for a certain period of time. Fatigue is so unspecific that research does not yield useful results. It's like researching everyone who coughs, or anyone who has a stomach ache. Cough syrup and painkillers can help, but not on the underlying disease mechanisms - these can be very different

ME-forskningen må være til nytte for pasientene
    google translation ME research must be of benefit to the patients

13. Kalliope

A great opinion piece by psychologist, author and ME sufferer Frøydis Lilledalen in the Journal for Norwegian Psychological Association.

She writes about "the circle of pain". How she was taught that patients increase their pain and suffering by focusing on them. But nobody taught her that this is just a hypothesis. And nobody talked about possible negative consequences for making the patients responsible for their pain. She says the circle of pain is not always wrong. But that doesn't mean it's always right.

She says that making the patient responsible for complex disease can disturb the relationship to the health care worker. A belief in self healing by one's own effort can also be destructive for the patients. Perhaps by moving focus away from pain, fatigue and multi systemic symptoms, it's the health care worker's needs that are taken care of, and not the patient's?

"In lack of alternative explanations and medical interventions, we end up with doing what we're trying to make patients stop doing: We do more of that which doesn't work"

Given that the treatment offered to ME patients today, being taught about the circle of pain, green and red thoughts, focus training and cognitive therapy, is reason behind improvement in 5% who recover, shouldn't we then develop a treatment offer also for the rest of the 95%?

Frykten for pasientens frykt
    google translation: The fear of the patient's fear

Marit @memhj, inox, bobbler and 12 others like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, it did so well until this. There is zero reason to attribute any recovery to this bunch of nonsense. It's not enough for medicine to take a stand against alternative medicine, it's the flawed principles that underlie it that need to be criticized, and attributing improvements (while ignoring deteriorations) to one's personal wishes is exactly how it fails in both alternative medicine and so-called evidence-based medicine.

alktipping, bobbler, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  15. Kalliope

I agree. But it seems almost impossible to get that point across, so it might have been a way to remind people of the large majority left without help, instead of raising a new round of CBT debate.

inox, Midnattsol, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  16. mango

Info sheet about POTS, in Swedish :thumbup: (Not news, but I didn't know where else to put it.)

It can be very difficult to find good information about POTS and other forms of orthostatic intolerance and dysautonomia in Swedish. Especially if you're looking for something short and easy to read, to share with family and friends or carers, for example. This is the best one I've found, so far :) I only discovered it today, and I feel it deserves a lot more attention + to be shared widely.

Published in 2020 by the Swedish Ehlers-Danlos patient organisation.

Vad är POTS?
    https://ehlers-danlos.se/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Vad-är-POTS-broschyr.pdf

MEMarge, ahimsa, Sean and 3 others like this.
  17. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Members could create threads in the 'Resources for Health Professionals' subforum dedicated to resources in languages other than English e.g. 'Useful resources about ME/CFS and associated conditions in Swedish'. Even if the target audience of the resource is patients, it's still helpful for health professionals to know such resources exist.

MEMarge, ahimsa, Trish and 2 others like this.
  18. mango

Excellent idea, thank you! I've created a thread now :)

Hutan likes this.
  19. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Anders_Vang, Sean, andypants and 2 others like this.
  20. mango

Swedish article about a Norwegian teenager with ME, in the sports section (horse/harness racing, trotting racing?).

”Säker på tillfrisknandet kan kopplas till hästen”
    https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbla...pernille-fann-raddningen-i-familjens-travhast

Hutan and Kalliope like this.