1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Aotearoa/New Zealand and the Pacific Islands

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Hutan, May 19, 2018.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

2. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Am I the only one who gets the feeling we're all involuntary participants in some sort of weird and never-ending whack-the-mole reality show?

According to the Otago Daily Times today it's the turn of back pain. BPS (imported from the UK) is to be taught to physiotherapist students at Otago University.

Now, of course there is a place for psycho-social context. When you're trying to figure out why some people don't do the rigorous physio 'homework' you give them it helps greatly to know that they're working 3 jobs to pay off overdue rent and power accounts plus feed the kids and therefore possibly, just possibly, don't have any energy left for exercises when they finally get home.

But that's not what the professor interviewed says in this article. Instead he says this:
    https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/treatment-broadens-approach-back-pain

Oh my, that sounds awfully familiar... :banghead:

Simbindi, Cheshire, Dolphin and 14 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This thing has completely veered off deep into woo territory. What's next, chakras and karma? Tarot diagnosing? Wait, no we're already there.

After decades of warning against alternative medicine, the woo behind much of alternative medicine is now turned into a central component of modern medicine. What an idiotic turn of events, one that fails to account for decades of painfully learned lessons.

Dolphin, MEMarge, chrisb and 2 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It is bizarro stuff. o_O

MEMarge, rvallee and chrisb like this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They seem to be discovering that if it Waddells it's probably a quack.

Sean, Dolphin, duncan and 4 others like this.
  6. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Pain is a psychological event"!!!! Not exclusively, and they accuse us of not considering mind and body issues.

"Pain: An unpleasant sensation that can range from mild, localized discomfort to agony. Pain has both physical and emotional components. The physical part of painresults from nerve stimulation. Pain may be contained to a discrete area, as in an injury, or it can be more diffuse, as in disorders like fibromyalgia.
    Definition of Pain - MedicineNet

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=4723"

Cheshire, Sean, Dolphin and 2 others like this.
  7. Hutan

rvallee, Chezboo, Dolphin and 4 others like this.
  8. Ravn

For some relief: article written by a GP plus a short video in the Dominion Post/Stuff today, maybe not perfectly perfect but sooooo much better than the RACP stuff:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/...fewrecking-result-of-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

9. Hutan

That is a terrific article.

The author is Dr Cathy Stephenson and it looks as though she has some connection with WellMe (Wellington patient support group). I'd love to see Dr Stephenson presenting at a conference, perhaps the Royal College of GPs one. If all GPs understood what she has written here, we'd be a long way ahead.

Amw66, Dolphin, Dolvi18 and 9 others like this.
  10. theJOYdecision

theJOYdecision Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dolphin, MEMarge, Simbindi and 5 others like this.
  11. Ravn

Going from bad to worse: big NZ GP conference happening in Rotorua this week. Speakers include the three we've been discussing here: Chris Kenedi, Kristy Bolter and Megan McEwen. As if that wasn't enough there's also Mel Abbott (Empower, a version of the Lightning process). http://www.gpcme.co.nz/speakers.php

Can someone please stop these people, with or without the help of paper circles, just STOP them!!!

According to the conference website (http://www.gpcme.co.nz) there'll be another event in Christchurch in August, this one without the first three but with Mel Abbot who has 3 sessions, one of them for nurses (http://www.gpcme.co.nz/south/programme.php).

[Posted this in both the "News from New Zealand and the Pacific Islands" and the "Video clip of a Australasian conference on MUS, mentions ME" threads.]

rainy, Chezboo, Dolphin and 10 others like this.
  12. theJOYdecision

Who is choosing these people as speakers? We actually need materials or something to counter them. I have a friend who thinks this Mel person is the best thing since ever. It may actually have destroyed our friendship.

rainy, Chezboo, ladycatlover and 8 others like this.
  13. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s the old ‘marketers trump facts’ in public awareness campaigns.
    They are getting reach with GPs and nurses because it’s a marketing campaign, funding comes from selling that idea. Whereas we’re just providing information, and not very ‘sexy’ (inspiring) information at that.

People say they want answers but really we all want a fix, a cure, a solution. Unfortunately they don’t have to live with the consequences of the (appealing to all including patients) gamble. We do. We have. ...I’m really so horribly sad to think: more pwME will.

[edited GPS to GPs]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    rainy, ladycatlover, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  14. theJOYdecision

Maybe we need to make it sexy. Hmm someone was inviting people to come forward about their experiences with the lightning process. If a media brief found its way into the hands of local newspapers, dr’s offices etc.... “Patients Furious as GPs Conference Teaches Harmful Alternative Practices”. A better editor would find an even more sensationalised title. Honestly we wouldn’t even have to get a media outlet to pick up on it. We could write a faux paper ourselves. Done well it would be quite influential at least in getting our perspective across.

That last paragraph as a direct quote from a patient would wrap up such an article nicely.

Seriously, if a faux paper like this with maybe 3 articles was delivered to the doctors attending and it had enough direct appeal at least some doctors who swallowed this crap might have second thoughts about parroting it without doing their own due diligence (with resources we would point them to). And it might be a considerable embarrassment to the organisers that next time they might consider gauging our perspectives. Is this idea worth pursuing? Are logistics able to be overcome-eg delivery to said GPs? Give me good material and I could write a draft of at least one article.

Just noticed the Mel Abbott’s sessions are already full. I’m ready to cry.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    MEMarge, Andy, Ravn and 1 other person like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, in a sense: clickbait has invaded medicine? Sounds about right.

MEMarge likes this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note: Some posts have been moved to the members only area at the request of the poster who started the discussion of a video.

Cheshire likes this.
  17. Hutan

Kathryn Ryan on Radio National (New Zealand) will have an item on Ron Davis and a 'blood test for chronic fatigue syndrome' tomorrow (25 June 2019).
    Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 2.50.34 PM.png
    The promo made it sound as though it would be an interview with Ron Davis.

18. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is live now

rvallee, Hutan and ME/CFS Skeptic like this.
  19. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ron Davis is talking about Whitney

mango and ME/CFS Skeptic like this.
  20. Hutan

It's just finished. Quick response is that there was nothing new there for people who are closely following ME/CFS research apart from Ron's certainty that the nano-needle is a diagnostic tool to indicate that something is wrong. Ron talked about the next step being to make it user friendly and 'closed in' (as in a 'black box' type of thing). And saying that they have 8 other devices in progress but not so far along that will hopefully be able to do specific tests. There was no caveat/caution other than the device hasn't been tested on other illnesses.

From an advocacy point of view, it sounded quite convincing. People with little knowledge of CFS are likely to get the idea that this is a biological illness.

I have some notes that I'll write up.