News from Aotearoa/New Zealand and the Pacific Islands

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Hutan, May 19, 2018.

1. RoseE

RoseE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Recording: A Neuroinflammatory Model for ME/CFS (a hypothesis) - Dr Angus Mackay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2DlrObjSRY

Angus is keen to hear from people about whether this model resonates with them. Does it align with your experience of ME/CFS? He invites you to email him to discuss: angus1mackay@hotmail.com

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Ravn

Long Covid webinar. Hosted by the Helen Clark foundation (former NZ prime minister). Good speakers
    Doesn't say if it will be available for later viewing but previous webinars have appeared on Youtube afterwards
    https://helenclark.foundation/event/webinar-long-covid/

5. Hutan

There was an interview with epidemiologist Michael Baker on First Up on Radio NZ this morning. Michael Baker has been a reliably good commentator throughout the pandemic. He and a number of others have authored an article on the impact of Long Covid that will be available today - it sounds to be very helpful. The conclusion is that society should be very concerned, that the impact is disabling and action should be taken to reduce the risk.

Link here - https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/prog...dy-highlights-long-term-effects-of-long-covid

Edit - it's getting good coverage at each hourly news bulletin

And here's the link to the forum thread on the review:Long Covid in Aotearoa NZ: Risk assessment and preventive action urgently needed, 2024, Kvalsvig et al

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  6. Hutan

7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Some people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome say they are being denied personal insurance because insurers deem it to be a mental health issue, not a biomedical issue."

What dualist thinking.

8. Hutan

ukxmrv, RoseE, Ravn and 2 others like this.
  9. SNT Gatchaman

Generally very good. However... Warren Tate again promoted brain retraining as (paraphrasing from memory): "something that some patients report helps with incremental improvements over time". This was pushed back strongly by co-panellist Jenene Crossan following opportunity from an audience question on how to prevent GPs from recommending/"prescribing" the LP. The audience member described their daughter having pushed through (ME) via the LP which led to a devastating deterioration to very severe and fully dependent for the last five years — yet not classed as disabled...

Also in open chat, the comment was made that (paraphrasing from memory) "many Australian patients are being diagnosed with FND and being referred for psychological counselling, ignoring POTS/dysautonomia, endothelial dysfunction etc"

Also in open Q&A, from the only person listed as "Anonymous attendee" and referring to the recent PHCC LC Briefing —

"I was sursprised that the report the other day did not report two papers on interventions that have shown some benefit e.g. Kutt [sic] 2023 on CBT (where patients with depression were removed so not working on depression0 [sic] and Pouliopoulu [sic] 2023 in Jama network on rehabilitation. The absence makes it seem very therapeutically nihilistic. As warren says there is a disregulared [sic] sympathetic nervious [sic] system that needs calming."

I would happily wager $50 that that was Arroll.

10. Hutan

Ha. If so, I hope he saw my comment in the chat that Arroll is a major contributor to the RNZCGP's promotion of faith healing equivalents. Probably he'd take it as a compliment.

Yes, Warren is so helpful in so many ways, but I think he is still getting some things significantly wrong. There was quite a lot of comments in the chat about calming the sympathetic nervous system, meditation.

Chezboo, ukxmrv, Ravn and 5 others like this.
  11. SNT Gatchaman

Chezboo, Ravn, Sean and 4 others like this.
  12. SNT Gatchaman

Ministry of Health statement (2/4/24) Clarification: Long COVID Expert Group completed its work in 2022

RoseE, Ravn, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  13. Deanne NZ

Deanne NZ Established Member (Voting Rights)

I chanced upon this paper today and thought it could be of interest in the wider forum but did not know how to pitch or tag it. I will leave it to my fellow Kiwis to decide if it deserves a greater profile. If anyone knows Dr Mark Bolland, perhaps they can send him the background papers on debunking the Pace trial. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03036758.2024.2325004

Chezboo, Solstice, RoseE and 5 others like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

15. Hutan

Thanks @Deanne NZ. Great, SNT. Could also provide material about the Cochrane Exercise Review, especially given at least a couple of Cochrane Officers also work at Auckland University

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    Solstice, Ravn, Trish and 3 others like this.
  16. SNT Gatchaman

Briefly — is aware of the PACE trial, but doesn't think there is anything he/their team could add at this time. He noted The Lancet has refused to retract proven fraudulent studies and not likely to change their stance on PACE.

I think some here might have commented previously that 13 years later it's probably better to leave it unretracted anyway: a bit of a millstone that's only going to get heavier with time.

I will also forward our Cochrane documentation separately.

17. Hutan

Item on Radio NZ this morning about Long Covid and ME/CFS - Mona Jeffreys and Jenene Crossan - currently on.

Ravn, Solstice, Sean and 4 others like this.
  18. SNT Gatchaman

Dr Anna Brooks has been invited to speak in May's UniteToFight LC, ME/CFS conference.

Thursday, 16th 9:00am – 9:30am
    New Zealand's Long Covid Landscape - from recognition to biomedical research - an overview

Ravn, Sean, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  19. Hutan

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/saturday/audio/2018935087/the-burden-of-long-covid
    45 minutes listen. I didn't hear it all, but what I did hear was sensible and good to have publicised. Nothing new for most members here - the conversation was based on the recent Long Covid in Aotearoa report.

Solstice, Ravn, Sean and 6 others like this.
  20. Ravn

The Press: Long Covid: ‘I don’t want to be stuck in this house anymore’