1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Aotearoa/New Zealand and the Pacific Islands

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Hutan, May 19, 2018.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Obviously the Minister doesn't know much about LC. But I do sort of sympathise with her not wanting to make a commitment on a radio programme, and especially not wanting to be seen to endorse a particular researcher. There is a process for evaluating research for govt funding, and it shouldn't involve an uninformed Minister making a decision on the radio. Still lame in many respects of course.

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was curious about the article, but there's only a single sentence.

However this is interesting, the accompanying photo gives the name of the LP coach. And they claim to treat, well, basically anything:

Stroke, Head Injuries, Concussion, Parkinsons, Guillain-Barre Syndrome

Menopause, PND, Endometriosis, Fertility, Morning Sickness, Post-Natal Support, Coping with Chronically Ill Children

Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriasis, Multiple Sclerosis, Lupus, IBS, Graves, Addison’s disease​

So, this is the state of modern medicine. IMO it explains why the discipline has been shockingly stagnant compared to other scientific disciplines, and probably why healthcare costs have risen above all others in recent years, despite delivering less and less with time. And it's largely because of this. They went full whackospiritual, have essentially given up trying.

Peter Trewhitt, Ravn, Sean and 4 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

University of Otago
    Biochemistry Seminar: Angus Mackay, PhD Graduate
    Tuesday, 30 May 2023

Time 12:00pm - 1:00pm
    Audience Undergraduate students,Postgraduate students,Staff
    Event Type Seminar
    Online and in-person
    https://www.otago.ac.nz/news/events/otago0244904.html

Peter Trewhitt, Sean, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  4. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Ravn

Have now listened to some bits and pieces (not to all of it, there are 18 short videos). Impression is of a mixed bag.

Target audience appears to be families trying to cope with having a youngster with ME.

The presenters are a mother of a young pwME, an adult pwME&LC, and Prof Tate in the double role of expert as well as father of a pwME.

There look to be two main aims.

One, to share personal experiences of dealing with ME in various situations and make viewers feel less alone in their own battles. This part is quite strong albeit unlikely to be particularly uplifting to viewers as a lot of the experiences reported were negative. And that's coming from people who look like white, middle-class folks capable of standing up for themselves and their family members (they may not be, just the impression you get from the videos), I don't know how that makes less privileged viewers feel. But overall I think the videos achieve this first goal.

Two, to provide viewers with some factual information and share some tips gained from lived experience. This part is more shaky. A few of the 'facts' are a bit on the speculative side and some of the tips are overly anecdotal but not properly flagged as such.

Unfortunately Prof Tate mixed up his roles. It's one thing for him to report as a father on the sometimes less than rational things the family have tried out of desperation and convinced themselves were helpful. That's fine and we've probably all been there. But as a researcher he needs to be much more clear about what is based on fact and data and what is speculation and anecdote. Many pwME don't have the necessary knowledge to make those distinctions for themselves.

I also fear that him talking up preliminary research findings as if they're solid facts already and his telling of anecdotes about reiki and brain retraining and what have you may make him look less credible in the eyes of the people who fund research, that they'll be even less inclined to closely look at the quality of any actual proposal. As far as I can tell, Prof Tate knows his biochemistry and has an extremely valuable contribution to make to ME research, I'd hate to see him self-sabotage his chances of getting funding. To be fair, when it comes to ME research in NZ, there isn't much left to (self-)sabotage, the door's basically shut anyway.

RedFox, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 8 others like this.
  6. Hutan

That's a terrific comment @Ravn. From the videos I've watched, I agree completely. I wish we could help advocates understand the need to think carefully about the evidence supporting what they say, and clearly signal when they are suggesting something speculative.

RedFox, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 7 others like this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ravn, Trish, SNT Gatchaman and 2 others like this.
  8. Hutan

It seems that ME Auckland are now called ME Support, and they aim to "provide medical information, emotional support and advocacy" and support groups to people with "ME/CFS, Long Covid and related conditions such as Fibromyalgia" in Auckland, and across New Zealand.

If anyone knows people in ME Support, can you please let them know that they have used an old (1994) ME/CFS criteria that does not require post-exertional malaise (it's only optional). Much better to use the IOM (SEID) criteria I think, which is easy to understand and highlights PEM. And the information related to diagnosis for Long Covid is confusing, I think.

But, quite a lot of the material hits the right notes. They say they have 950 members, which I expect dwarfs ANZMES membership numbers, so they must be doing plenty right, and meeting needs.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    Ravn, Dolphin, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.
  9. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long Covid Support Aotearoa website. First iteration, so won't be perfect and I think there's an idea that it will be a living resource, developing as knowledge and resources come in. It has been generated by patients (those with sufficient energy), so the emphasis is on sharing lived experiences rather than necessarily getting the scientific concepts 100%. I made a few suggestions before it went live, and most were adopted I think. I'm not sure the pages on symptoms like anxiety and depression are spot on, but probably OK for v1.

There is also a plan to develop a register of patients in NZ via registering with this site. This won't represent strong epidemiological data, but might be regarded as an improvement over the Ministry's current data gathering efforts - which is zero as far as I have seen.

RoseE, Ravn, Dolphin and 6 others like this.
  10. Hutan

There was an item on National Radio Nine to Noon this morning - Kathryn Ryan, the presenter, again being sympathetic, again about the need to have ME/CFS designated as a disability.

Fiona Charleton from ANZMES spoke. Her description of the current situation came across rather confused, although the fact that the situation actually is confused certainly doesn't help. There were a few glitches such as the suggestion that 25% of people with ME/CFS are bed bound too, although of course it's easy to trip up a bit in an interview. Tom (who appears in that set of 18 videos) also spoke, getting across what it is like to have ME/CFS well.

And then Warren Tate spoke. He is still giving the impression that the immune and mitochondrial differences are pretty much sorted. The presenter then asks, 'well, you were saying this a year ago, why, when it's all so clear, isn't the situation of people with ME/CFS improved?' The reply was that more training of health professionals is needed. Prematurely claiming things are known with certainty, as Warren did again, can backfire for us.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    MSEsperanza, Trish, Sean and 5 others like this.
  11. Ravn

Available here
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/prog...to-get-me-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-classified

Yes, there were a few of the usual niggles like 'chronic fatigue' and 'tired' sneaking in here and there but overall I thought it was good. To me Fiona's attempts at explaining the kafkaesque situation pwME find themselves in when trying to access services highlighted precisely that, that the situation is ridiculous. ME is a disability but pwME are not eligible for disability support unless they also have an intellectual disability or are on the autism spectrum. Instead they're supposed to get support through the long term chronic conditions system but to be eligible for that you have to have a needs assessment and you're only eligible for a needs assessment if you're over 65 or need 24/7 care. I think I got that right... Either way, it's so inane you couldn't make it up

12. Hutan

Gosh, that radio item has resulted in a mention of the issue in the hourly news broadcasts since then - maybe 4 mentions so far. That's a pretty impressive impact.

I've listened to the item again, and I still wasn't clear what Fiona was saying about how ME/CFS is treated with respect to funded support.

This is what I understand:

There's the Ministry of Disabled People (Whaikaha):
    https://www.whaikaha.govt.nz/assessments-and-funding/how-to-access-support/

I think MS is one of those neurological conditions covered by Whaikaha). I'm not entirely sure though. I can't find a list of the conditions covered online. It seems there are contracts between Whaikaha and regional service providers that specify the covered conditions, so it may be necessary to get copies of those.

And then there's the Ministry of Health, who pick up most of the rest (offering a generally lower quality of care - and that's the bucket ME is supposedly in), other than the people whose disability is the result of an injury (they get high quality support from ACC).

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  13. Hutan

Ravn, ukxmrv, NelliePledge and 5 others like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

NZ Herald — ‘Systemic failure’: Experts sound worries over support for Long Covid sufferers

Mostly good, but let down at the end.

Eg Dr Anna Brooks :thumbup:

Dr Luke Bradford :thumbup:

Ending poorly, with comments from the Mum of a very severely affected daughter :thumbup: then :banghead:

Many patients and families seem to think that LC clinics have been helpful, not realising they've been a failure overseas. I'd suggest NZ has been lucky to not have clinics set up, modelled on UK and Australia. Of course an enormous lost opportunity that the government didn't listen to our recommendations of what an effective LC/ME clinic could be. A few typos in the article, the best one being "psycho psychologists".

ukxmrv, Trish, Peter Trewhitt and 9 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Whaikaha is looking for people to be on a steering committee working on improving residential care for disabled people. They are looking for (New Zealand) people who have themselves experienced residential care or has a family member who has. These are paid positions. Please let anyone in your network who might be suitable know.
    @Cohen
    More information here:
    https://www.whaikaha.govt.nz/about-...action-plans/my-home-my-choice/steering-group

Cohen, Trish, Ravn and 3 others like this.
  16. SNT Gatchaman

YouTube - Post-Exertional Malaise in ME/CFS - Management and Supports - Webinar for Health Professionals (24 mins)
    Dr Cathy Stephenson for ME Awareness NZ on World ME Day.

I think this is a good resource for GPs and other health professionals; but also patients and family members. Includes a good discussion of PEM, its symptomatic features, triggers and management; as well as 4 minutes of a patient's experience (a former health professional going from full health to severe).

Frankie, obeat, Sly Saint and 8 others like this.
  17. RoseE

RoseE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have been contacted by a gastroenterology dietitian at Christchurch Hospital, NZ, who is also a researcher at the University of Otago Christchurch. They are wanting to discuss their ideas for research into the role of nutrition in the management of ME/CFS - with someone /people living with ME/CFS. They are planning to apply for one of the ANZMES research grants.

Is there anyone here who might be interested and have some knowledge /insight in this area? Someone mentioned there is a dietician from Norway in this forum who might be worth connecting the researcher to but I don't know who that is.

We want to steer them in the right direction. They have asked for someone to have a short phone conversation with (or perhaps email will work?) about their proposed research ideas and whether they may be of benefit to the ME/CFS community.

Apparently there is an existing project at Otago Uni Christchurch on potential blood markers and response to nutritional treatments, and they want to build on that.

Midnattsol, ukxmrv, bobbler and 6 others like this.
  18. Florence

Florence Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When you refer to a dietician from Norway, do you mean @Midnattsol ?

Midnattsol, Ravn and Hutan like this.
  19. Hutan

@Midnattsol would be great. I live in Christchurch and would be happy to have a chat with the dietician.

mango, Midnattsol, Mij and 5 others like this.
  20. Ravn

Interesting Long Covid cover story in the Listener (not online AFAIK, may be available through libraries). Summary:

Some personal before/after virus stories.

A symptom list, unhelpfully with anxiety at the top but at least it contains PEM.

Complaints about the lack of knowledge and support apart from some self-help websites.

ME comparisons (Prof Tate).

A somewhat random run down of the research - notably missing out Anna Brooks' work - and mention of a rather dubious test for LC, to be fair the article does call it unreliable.

Also mentions a pilot from ABI Rehabilitation services (NZ) who normally do brain injury rehab, not enough info to judge what they're doing.

A LC registry is being set up. Seems to be limited to documenting impact of illness and lived experience rather than function as a platform to facilitate biomedical research at this stage (but a good initiative that could be built on, funding permitting - it's more than what we have for ME).

Interestingly, in light of ANZMES' parliamentary petition efforts, the article mentions a NZ study which recommended LC be recognised as a disability, though it doesn't say how far they got with actually achieving that one.

Also some pointed comments by Jenene Crossan about doctors suggesting the Lightning Process or positive self-talk. Will be interesting to see the letters to the editor next week

Mij, Chezboo, Wyva and 5 others like this.