News from Aotearoa/New Zealand and the Pacific Islands

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Hutan, May 19, 2018.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And a house is definitely at least $1,000.

DigitalDrifter, oldtimer and Ravn like this.
  3. RoseE

RoseE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

23 'COVID-19 and National Immunisation Programme research projects' have been funded by the "Ministry of Health to undertake research into the ongoing impacts of COVID-19 and future pandemic responses. The research projects will show how whānau, communities and the health system responded to the COVID-19 pandemic and vaccine rollout, and provide insights into things such as long COVID, childhood immunisation and the pandemic’s overall impacts. This will be used to inform future planning."

"The projects were funded following a Request for Proposal published in April 2022, which attracted 75 proposals. The selection process involved staff from the Ministry of Health, the National Public Health Service and Whaikaha Ministry of Disabled Peoples. Each project was allocated funding of between $200,000 and $500,000. Funding comes from the COVID-19 health system response and the National Immunisation Programme."

Note: biomedical projects were not eligible.

COVID-19 and National Immunisation Programme research projects | Ministry of Health NZ

Two of particular interest...

Jenene Crossan, leading Long Covid advocate here in NZ, is collaborator on this research project.

oldtimer, Ravn, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  4. RoseE

Not sure if this has been posted...
    https://www.health.govt.nz/news-media/news-items/long-covid-be-tracked-help-new-coding

Trish, Chezboo, oldtimer and 2 others like this.
  5. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long list of symptoms. No mention of PEM. Not even something vague like 'difficulty exercising'. Words fail me

I recognise only a few names on the expert advisory group list. At least some of them fully understand PEM. Others, I suspect, are pushing back hard against any link to anything ME-related. I wonder what discussions have been going on behind the scenes?

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Maybe 'exercise' has a specific meaning in medicine, like malaise does. But the use of exercise instead of activity is an issue for me.

Any and all activity, including basal metabolism, is a problem for us. Inability to exercise is just a subset of that problem

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  7. RoseE

Radio NZ reporting tonight...
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/47...ces-to-study-leading-theory-behind-long-covid

It doesn't sound like they are looking at ME/CFS research or collaborating with??

This post has been copied to the thread about this research: 'Long Covid Research Initiative' and Polybio funded to research viral persistence and antiviral treatments

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2022
    Lilas, Ravn, Chezboo and 2 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME/CFS reclassification petition to be read in Parliament - ANZMES
    full post here
    http://www.voxy.co.nz/health/5/406995

Chezboo, Lilas, Ravn and 2 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Charity dinner to raise money for ME
    https://www.times.co.nz/news/charity-dinner-to-raise-money-for-me/

Ravn, RedFox, Sean and 2 others like this.
  10. RoseE

Due to HRH the Queen's passing, the petition will not be read on Tuesday, as there are legislative changes to be dealt with and then parliament will close until after the State funeral. It's not likely to be read until the second or third time they meet after that. ANZMES will be advised of the date in due course.

ukxmrv, Ravn, Chezboo and 6 others like this.
  11. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Just had a quick look. A mixed bag. Still basically operating on the rehabilitation model, far as I can tell, despite there being no real evidence of its benefits for LC yet.

Hutan, MEMarge, Ravn and 3 others like this.
  13. Ravn

Only had a quick skim: mixed bag. Looks like different sections were written by different people without any communication between them.

In one section you have this (my bolding)
    In a different section you have this (my bolding)
    If anyone has the energy, at the end of the guide there's a call for feedback. You may also wish to suggest employing a proofreader.

14. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is some comedy gold there though

"Psychologist Psychologists are scientist practitioners who apply psychological
    knowledge, principles, methods and procedures to predict and influence
    behaviour and/or cognition to support people to achieve psychological
    and psychosocial wellbeing. Psychologists provide evidence-based
    psychological therapies to optimise wellbeing."

and delusions of grandeur

"Occupational therapist Occupational therapists engage people and whānau in personally
    meaningful occupations (self-care, productivity, leisure) to empower
    them through rehabilitation that will optimise their recovery."

15. Ravn

Opinion piece by Prof Tate about the petition.

I believe the presentation of the petition to Parliament mentioned in the article has been delayed until sometime after the royal funeral.
    https://www.newsroom.co.nz/health--science/why-we-must-make-this-chronic-condition-a-disability

16. RoseE

It is to be read on 20th Sep now.
    From an ANZMES rep...
    "... it will be read on 20th and all media that day will be funeral coverage. We're not attending like we were going to, we'll rerelease our press release but not make a big fuss on 20th as a lot of our media contacts are in UK, and those here are also covering funeral... we're arranging stories/interviews/photo ops for a couple weeks time, it will get better coverage and there's still a story in couple weeks because our written submission to the committee isn't due until 7th Oct..."

Hutan, Ravn, Sean and 3 others like this.
  17. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am curious to find out what is the difference in NZ between a disability and a long term condition. I've been hunting and reading but don't quite get it.

Has any one found an easy link that they can post please?

In particular I would like to know when this happened, is it covered by acts of parliament or statutes, and what is the rationale really behind having these differences?

Would be grateful for any pointers. Read the ANZMES and all the obvious stuff but there is a gap of assumed knowledge that I lack.

Hutan, Ravn, Sean and 2 others like this.
  18. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There's been a bit of coverage around the presentation of the petition.

ME/CFS was discussed yesterday in a sympathetic way on the early evening show of Radio New Zealand, The Panel - at the 9.15 minute mark to the 20 minute mark:
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/prog...l-with-mark-sainsbury-and-amy-carter-part-two
    The patient, Simone, was good. The main guest, Kate Waterworth(sp?) isn't a medical person, her area is disability studies. She seemed very sensible and sympathetic. She alludes to the fact that what ANZMES has asked for with their petition is not at all clear, and suggests that what they were really asking for is more support for people with ME/CFS. She addresses @ukxmrv's question - which doesn't have a particularly easy answer - towards the end of the segment.

It was also discussed on the Radio New Zealand Afternoon programme today. I'll add a link when it comes up. It featured an interview with Professor Warren Tate, with a presenter who acknowledged the debilitating nature of the illness and mentioned that she knows people with the illness.

Radio New Zealand has been consistently supportive and fairly well informed for at least the last couple of years.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    RoseE, ukxmrv, petrichor and 10 others like this.
  19. Ravn

RoseE, RedFox, ukxmrv and 4 others like this.
  20. Ravn

Amw66, Trish, RoseE and 4 others like this.