1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Zealand: Covid-19 vaccinations for people with ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Hutan, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A problem with surveys is that people who have a problem are much more likely to say. (It is the same with Amazon reviews!) Even here, the thread on the effects of vaccines is heavily weighted towards those who have had problems. Ones who were fine may post once to say that but the others post to get support and describe the course of things.

This is useful and natural but it can give prominence to the bad side when it is actually a very small number of people. We need to give information and support but it must be frightening to be diagnosed with ME then go straight to reading about Whitney Defoe. There has to be balance but how do we provide it?

It runs through all ME discussions and is something we need to consider - menopause support groups are much more likely to consist of those who had problems so it magnifies those problems as they are the ones who do publicity. A good and necessary thing but not the whole truth of the situation.

Maybe there are large numbers of people who have true ME but get better within the first year. There would have to be very large studies done, preferably not looking backwards but following the disease as it develops. We lost a magnificent resource by not following covid victims. Some databases that followed people from the thirties onwards has been mined to answer questions no one thought of at the time.

But no money for ME or longcovd, sigh.

2. RoseE

RoseE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure my original comment belongs in this thread that it has been moved to to be honest.
    I was trying to say that I don't think ANZMES actions increased " the fear people with ME/CFS have of Covid-19 vaccines".
    I don't believe there is evidence that fear increased, nor that they approached it as a reckless 'crusade'.

But no matter. I have shared my view, and appreciated the resulting conversation.
    Thanks for the engagement everyone.

AliceLily, Mithriel, Ravn and 5 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

From Warren Tate on Radio New Zealand 16 Dec 2021

"And importantly for the ME/CFS group, many of who have been vaccinated, there's been a very large, significant incidence of adverse, serious adverse events from the vaccine for this group, and its pushed many of them back into the most serious phase of their illness, right back when they first got the illness, being housebound and bed bound.

So that's quite a serious concern, so if we could find why those people, and its about 1 in 4 on the New Zealand survey, 1 in 4 patients have a serious adverse event, if we could find out why that's occurring in this group of patients, again, we might be able to make it much safer for patients with these illnesses to get vaccinated. Because we know Covid's a horrible virus and has serious effects."

Interviewer: "So that might be a lower dose"

Any person with ME/CFS who believed that was true would surely be concerned about getting vaccinated.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  4. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree with this @Mithriel

I never took part in this survey and wish I had. I had no adverse reactions to all 3 vaccines apart from the usual response of symptoms which were temporary and I was back to normal within a week at max.

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

RoseE, Peter Trewhitt and AliceLily like this.
  6. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

RoseE and Peter Trewhitt like this.