Neurovascular Coupling

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jun 25, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Neurovascular coupling is the concept that in the CNS, organ function is tightly associated with blood flow, moreso than in other organs. Theoretical background and latest thinking —

From the introduction in The Neurovascular Unit Coming of Age: A Journey through Neurovascular Coupling in Health and Disease (2017, Neuron) —

Overcoming "dualistic thinking" ;)

Neurovascular coupling underlies functional MRI which uses Blood Oxgygen Level-Dependent (BOLD) imaging, whereby measured regional increase in O2 levels in the blood corresponds to specific areas of brain activation. Oxygen levels rise much more than brain tissue can use, which has been a long-standing paradox.

Down the rabbit hole of complex brain biochemistry, relating oxidative phosphorylation, anaerobic glycolysis and lactate generation under a situation of no capillary recruitment to metabolic challenge...

From the abstract for Neurovascular coupling is optimized to compensate for the increase in proton production from nonoxidative glycolysis and glycogenolysis during brain activation and maintain homeostasis of pH, pCO2, and pO2 (2023, Journal of Neurochemistry) —

Expanding with —

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
  2. SNT Gatchaman

3. SNT Gatchaman

4. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you very much for putting this thread together @SNT Gatchaman

5. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I am late to the party, but I didn't know it had been said that pwGWI also suffer from PEM.

RedFox and MeSci like this.