1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Neurotoxicity in Gulf War Illness and the Potential Role of Glutamate, 2020, Joyce and Holton

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0161813X20300954
    Not available via Sci hub at time of posting.

2. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is very interesting. For the people that have been following the research using Machine Learning methods, there was a hypothesis -since 2015- that Gulf War Illness Syndrome, Post Finasteride Syndrome , Post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome and ME/CFS have common mechanisms.

Here is a recent tweet on Pesticides (more specifically Organophosphates) one of the most important aspects is that we have people getting ME from other means apart viruses. Observe the role of Glutamate on Organophosphate (OP) poisoning here as well:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1275748376831832066

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 14.09.39.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 14.04.44.png

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Draggin', Kitty, spinoza577 and 5 others like this.
  3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

But glutamate is not very specific. It can also be affected by lifestyle factors like diet and activity levels. Excitotoxicity is also linked to suicide ideation, psychosis, major depression, autism, I guess cognitive impairment (can't remember) and the whole glutamine/glutamate relationship and how it's important for metabolism.

I believe it's important, you don't want dysregulation of glutamate, but I'd be more surprised if they hadn't found anything.

4. mariovitali

This is true. I am very excited with the DecodeME project because the number of data will help us identify subtypes that potentially lead to the same result. What i am trying to say is that we may have not only issues with Glutamate but also with Glutathione production (an example). Another subtype may have issues with Cysteine catabolism. These with a minor issue in mitochondrial functioning could make the perfect storm. As you know i am not a medical professional, these are just speculations.

5. Midnattsol

I agree, DecodeME is going to be fascinating!

Glutamate, glutathione, cysteine and mitochondria is very interesting as well, especially for a nutritionist/cell biologist :D

Draggin', Hoopoe, merylg and 7 others like this.
  6. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. Midnattsol

The worst is I did not think about the obvious pun when I wrote it :facepalm::laugh:

Draggin', spinoza577 and merylg like this.
  8. mariovitali

Amw66 and Draggin' like this.
  9. mariovitali

I realised that pyridostigmine bromide - PB (aka MESTINON) is hypothesised as one of the causes of Gulf War Illness :

Amw66, Draggin' and adambeyoncelowe like this.