1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Neural mechanisms underlying the effects of physical fatigue on effort-based choice (2020) Hogan et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Colin, Aug 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Colin

Colin Established Member (Voting Rights)

Physical fatigue crucially influences our decisions to partake in effortful action. However, there is a limited understanding of how fatigue impacts effort-based decision-making at the level of brain and behavior. We use functional magnetic resonance imaging to record markers of brain activity while human participants engage in uncertain choices for prospective physical effort, before and after bouts of exertion. Using computational modeling of choice behavior we find that fatiguing exertions cause participants to increase their subjective cost of effort, compared to a baseline/rested state. We describe a mechanism by which signals related to motor cortical state in premotor cortex influence effort value computations, instantiated by insula, thereby increasing an individual’s subjective valuation of prospective physical effort while fatigued. Our findings provide a neurobiological account of how information about bodily state modulates decisions to engage in physical activity.

Open Access: nature communications

Popular article: Got fatigue? Study further pinpoints brain regions that may control it

spinoza577, Esther12, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    MEMarge, spinoza577 and Andy like this.
  3. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be more interesting, of course, to have a mechanism underlying fatique itself.

MEMarge likes this.
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now that I've skimmed the two links it looks very much like this has nothing to do with what people with ME experience but fatigue in normal healthy individuals. Could have missed something here I suppose. But it doesn't seem relevant to the type of 'fatigue' (a not very accurate word really) that is experienced with ME.

Mike Dean likes this.