1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix "Afflicted" - ME included

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I guess I could say I 'enjoyed' it too, in the sense that I found it compelling, but in a sort of car crash way where I felt the participants were being deliberately shown in the worst possible light to support the psychosomatic premise of the series. I felt a lot of sympathy for the participants. It's hard to show the reality of suffering from something those around you don't believe in without leaving the audience not believing you either.

I saw the participants as victims - of symptoms no-one understood, of the orthodox medical system that turns them away, and of the huge moneymaking quack medicine industry. I felt the way the filmmakers chose to portray them added to that victimhood by making it possible for the audience to think they were deluded about their symptoms.

You may not be in a minority. I've been too vocal on this thread. I'll now shut up and leave it for others to put their perspective.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    MEMarge, Snow Leopard, mango and 4 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which is what the SMILE trial showed in a formal way.

What this series seems to highlight is just how close the BPS crowd are to common prejudice and quackery.

3. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Agree, Esther - ME should never have been 'appropriated' for this series in first place. It sounds like utter dross.

EzzieD and MSEsperanza like this.
  4. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The original note from the series that looked for participants was shared on Twitter:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-12 um 13.53.51.png :

5. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have seen the Jamison clips. Isolated these clips mostly is ok and pretty neutral. Thanks for participating. Won’t spend valuable time seeing the rest of the series, but I understand that the context is quite bad.

When it comes to the question of a potential response, it gets hard. The question of smart and appropriate activism is very complex.
    But I think this is a typical example of”pick your fights”. One should not bluntly accept a whole different series than predicted, but going out loud probably won’t do much good either.

What strikes one over and over again are the vast challenges of ME, it is simply almost overwhelming facing windmills in all directions. But it is often the same “mess” going in eternal circle. So from an advocate perspective, ideally there ought to be some kind of priority list of what to fight and what to let go, at least do in a very smart way measured to the circumstances .

One step ahead knowledge-wise, is mess-wise two back and three to the side. It seems as the closer we get to answers, the more the mess. Not that strange, many have much to loose.

Ideally one must and should fight on all issues all the time or is it so? I sometimes think we are fighting and focusing a little to much on things we shouldn’t, things we’ve done, things that take focus from other important issues. That’s my personal opinion, solely based on the impression that there are so much to grab and fight! As said, it tends to be a lot of the same things in a circle and I’m not sure it is the right way. I imagine that we as a community could raise the level when the old mess comes around again. Maybe we could say, we’ve done that, we’ve discussed this, and maybe at times silence also can be a appropriate measure. That may seem radical and naive, but often the BPS-people gets us right we’re they want, again and again.

As pointed out, the work needed is still overwhelming and many thanks to all hard work done by many knowledgeable people. We know the costs.

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

A discussion of brain inflammation on this thread has been moved to a new thread.

8. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

adambeyoncelowe and andypants like this.
  10. wdb

MEMarge and Dolphin like this.
  11. Dolphin

MEMarge likes this.
  12. wdb

It was Lyme disease, looking at the fund page updates I think this alternative medicine centre in Kansas is where it was spent.

JaimeS, adambeyoncelowe and Dolphin like this.
  13. Dolphin

Was this looked at in the program?

14. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A sympathetic piece - "Afflicted left me questioning a few things but not the people from the show."

Includes added info from Bekahs brother that were left out, about why she didn't do the free treatment offered. Actual medical advice didn't go with the story of "wanting to be sick"......?

https://goosed.ie/afflicted-new-netflix-docu-series/

15. wdb

Yes they followed his whole trip, he spent a few days there getting treatments.

adambeyoncelowe, Dolphin and Trish like this.
  16. Dolphin

Looks like he might still be struggling with chronic illness. See, for example, June posts here (I'm not going to post)
    https://twitter.com/jakesidwell

https://twitter.com/user/status/1020764574092595200

https://twitter.com/user/status/1020765329209913351

https://twitter.com/user/status/1020766263205875712

https://twitter.com/user/status/1020766889260339200

(Continued in next message)

Woolie, MEMarge, JaimeS and 6 others like this.
  17. Dolphin

Woolie, MEMarge, JaimeS and 3 others like this.
  18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this is correct then it demonstrates the series was biased.

Woolie, MEMarge, JaimeS and 6 others like this.
  19. Dolphin

20. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Woolie, MEMarge, JaimeS and 5 others like this.