1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix "Afflicted" - ME included

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Aug 10, 2018.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That leaves out the bit where they had a doctor say about an alternative therapy that he'd never really looked into it, had no idea what it entailed, but that it was definitely a non-treatment.

Whether or not he was correct in his assessment, his logic was totally unsound.

2. JaimeS

3. JaimeS

It's between 2 and 3 stars on imdb folks. If you have seen it and feel moved to review, please keep 'em coming.

Careful not to review 'Afflicted' (2013) but the 2018 show.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Even if gratitude has benefits (I have no idea whether it does or not), its benefits may not be from some magical force but perhaps be mediated by people being more inclined to engage in some healthier behaviors.

Or as been suggested, the correlation may not be causative. An example I thought of in general on this is owning an expensive car may be associated with better health. However that doesn’t mean that there is a health benefit to be derived from purchasing such a car.

5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just wondering, is that Dr. Eric Gordon of Santa Rosa, Calif.? If so, his wonderful IV therapy (thanks to a reused IV needle) gave a CFS suffering friend Hep C. about 10 yrs ago. A cash upfront business. Buyer beware. So much for the risk/benefit of these unproven therapies. I will spare myself the anguish of the series.

Mij, adambeyoncelowe, inox and 8 others like this.
  6. Lily Valley

Lily Valley Established Member

Oh, so sorry to hear that This is his website:
    https://www.gordonmedical.com/team/eric-gordon-m-d/

adambeyoncelowe and shak8 like this.
  7. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, that's him. My gut opinion about alternative docs is that they are the lazy ones, too lazy to work hard in a busy medical practice. (my humble opinion from 18 yrs of being an observant RN).

8. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sarah94, Woolie, Samuel and 6 others like this.
  9. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has there been any kind of response from Netflix?

JaimeS, Inara and mango like this.
  11. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Spoiler Alert:

Jeff's father, Eldon, is an asshole.

sea, Inara, Lily Valley and 1 other person like this.
  12. JaimeS

Not that I know of. We've discussed at #MEAction and my review of episode 1 is going out soonish. We have a few suggestions for mini advocacy actions attached, but we are in process with something more substantial as well. More as it shakes out, everyone.

13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are potential downsides to linking ME Action to advocacy efforts around Afflicted. This could be a case where it's better to have individuals raising concerns rather than having an ME organisation getting involved? I don't know.

inox, Inara, Lily Valley and 3 others like this.
  14. JaimeS

I see where you're coming from! Sorry, just not smart to say more if it ends up changing in significant ways. Then ppl say we said X but did Y.

adambeyoncelowe, Inara, Oni and 3 others like this.
  15. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just finished watching the series.

It reinforces my belief that we need to create media to control the message.

ETA: With that in mind, how is Jamison reacting? He will be the rallying point. What can the community do to amplify his voice and thereby get some control of the narrative?

16. JaimeS

imdb is doing something unusual: Arithmetic mean = 2.8 for Afflicted, but they have it at 4.2 on the site as a 'weighted average'. That's weird.

The median vote is one star.

Woolie, Chezboo, Indigophoton and 4 others like this.
  17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just caught this thread, I was aware of Afflicted but it was on my to watch list. My support worker commented on it, and it sent alarm bells going for me. I will comment further when I have seen it, but it sounds like vague unscientific commentary with bias toward psychosomatic claims.

JaimeS, Zombie Lurker, inox and 2 others like this.
  18. alex3619

I second that. Non-scientists get a lot wrong, heck even many scientists get things wrong. Most patients can only cite what their doctors have told them, and much of that is wrong much of the time. Many doctors are so far out of touch with science that they do not realise the first useful test, chronologically, seems to be the tilt table test, from 1940 or prior. Some might dismiss this, but I went into cardiac arrest during mine and had to be revived. That is not a minor issue.

After that are many more tests, 1946, 1947, 1949, and 1954. I stopped tracking them from that point. There is massive confusion between there not being a diagnostic test, which is fair, and there not being tests that give evidence of pathophysiology in specific individuals.

19. alex3619

Hence the fourth line in my signature. Zero studies prove any psychosomatic illness, its just presumed based on rhetorical devices.

Yessica, JaimeS, Pechius and 4 others like this.
  20. alex3619

WillowJ, Samuel, JaimeS and 4 others like this.