1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

National Geographic: Newly discovered organ may be lurking under your skin (pain-sensing glial cells, 2019)

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Ravn, Aug 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't got the energy to track down the study/studies this is based on but sounds potentially interesting (and definitely so if you're a mouse - do we not have a mouse emoji? We can't be discussing science and not honour mice with an emoji!)
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...-may-be-lurking-uinder-your-skin-senses-pain/

Andy, EzzieD, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  2. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. Looks like they're already looking at this for chronic pain. I wonder whether it fits with existing theories of central sensitisation or whether it will now replace those theories with something else?

Andy, EzzieD, Ravn and 7 others like this.
  3. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It could be the anwser to the mystery I could not explain with what is the textbooks.

Mithriel likes this.
  4. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Andy and shak8 like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this the second new organ they have discovered in the last year, or is the same one as they discovered last year, that there was a thread on, and possibly an article in something like 'Nature'?

Not up to hunting, just curious if anyone else also remembers something similar in the last year or so.

alktipping likes this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There have been a couple of new organs found recently. I'm not sure if you were thinking about either of these? The Mesentery and the Interstitium :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ssified-abdominal-grays-anatomy-a7507396.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-scientists-discovery-new-york-a8275851.html

ME/CFS Skeptic, Andy, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  7. Wonko

It was the second one, thank you.

I specifically remembered the bit about people missing it because of the way slides were prepared drying it out and making it 'invisible'.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't remember the name but the other organ you may be thinking of was something part of the lymphatic drainage system and they missed it because it would be flat and hard to detect unless in vivo. Or something close to that, but it wasn't part of the nervous system.

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh damn, there were two.

But sure, let's go full speed ahead with a massive reform that assumes we know everything there is to know about everything and blames millions of people in some fictitious massive epidemic of mental illness that no one can describe, define or who any evidence for.

What's the worst that can happen? To shreds, you say? And her wife? Oh, my, to shreds you say?

EzzieD, alktipping, Snowdrop and 2 others like this.
  10. Wonko

It is quite odd if I think about it, as I understood that medical science had already discovered everything, at least everything on the scale of human organs.

Fair enough there may be some fine tuning required of our understanding of various aspects of micro and cellular biology, but organs?

Surely this can't be true?

If they don't understand such major things about how people work then how can they possibly maintain that anything, anything at all, is a psychiatric, psychological, or behavioural issue?

How can people make careers out of it - when, as far as I can see, 3 new organs have been 'noticed' in the last year?

What sort of species of arrogant, misguided or manalolent f&*^wits are we dealing with here?

Obviously the type that will pay no attention to the implications of medical sciences inability to even notice these organs before now, and keep causing major harm, to me, and to others.

MarcNotMark, Annamaria, Andy and 7 others like this.
  11. lansbergen

Depends on the definition of an organ.

The skin is long accepted to be an organ. Now part of that organ is called an organ.

ukxmrv, Annamaria and Trish like this.
  12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also this https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-discover-never-before-seen-vessels-in-the-brain

It went by largely unnoticed, but finding that there are lymphatic vessels in the brain when all the text books say/said there aren't any, that's pretty big iyam, but of course MUS is still assumed to be medically unexplainable symptoms, because, dontcha know, they're all so ruddy clever that everything there is to know or explain is already known & explained.

rvallee, Arnie Pye, Annamaria and 5 others like this.
  13. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When medical students graduate they should be told that they are now beginning their education. Medical school is just the baseline.

MarcNotMark, rvallee, Trish and 6 others like this.
  14. lansbergen

Right.

Trish, Annamaria and Wonko like this.
  15. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think most biologists and doctors are open to there being a lot to learn about anatomy and physiology. The problem in my experience has been received knowledge. Generally good doctors have been taught that emotional problems cause physical dysfunction as a fact. They have all met patients who worry they have a disease when they are just anxious so they assume FND "experts" are just seeing extreme cases of that.

If FND and MUPS etc were new ideas it would be hard for them to get accepted but they are built on a framework set up years ago. Victorian medicine with all its misogyny and patronizing.

Arnie Pye, Annamaria, Andy and 3 others like this.
  16. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The article, if I've understood it correctly, seems to say that this is just for "mechanical" types of pain, i.e. when your skin gets cut or you get hit, things like that.

17. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, but (CNS) glial cells have been identified as a possible thing in fibro too. So it might be possible that if CNS glial cells are involved, so are those in the periphery?