1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

My podcast: Medical Error Interviews

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by ScottTriGuy, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The interview starts at 4:45 minutes from the start, and ends 2:30 minutes before the end. The rest is advertising you might prefer to skip.

Annamaria likes this.
  2. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably!

Amw66, ScottTriGuy, Sly Saint and 2 others like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This question is far too cryptic for me.

4. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This members only thread will probably solve it for you;)

ScottTriGuy, Arnie Pye and Trish like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Okay, I'll jump to the obvious conclusion, based on what has been said so far. :)

Amw66, ScottTriGuy and andypants like this.
  6. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Stacey has ME...

Double hit.

Journalist and mother of two Stacey Roy has been permanently injured by a medication that makes her disabling sensitive to smell, taste, light and sounds.

That makes being a Mom much harder.

Stacey also has a complex disease but even when she's in medical distress, she "refuses to go to the ER to be humiliated."

Stacey has been mocked and shamed - and traumatized - by emergency room staff who are ignorant about her illness.

Stacey tells it like it is in this episode of Medical Error Interviews...

https://medicalerrorinterviews.podbean.com/mf/play/ygk5nf/Stacey_Roy_interview_audio_.mp3

Joh, Inara, oldtimer and 3 others like this.
  7. ScottTriGuy

Joh, EzzieD, duncan and 7 others like this.
  8. ScottTriGuy

Attached Files:

Joh, Comet, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  9. ScottTriGuy

Attached Files:

Joeblow604, Joh, oldtimer and 7 others like this.
  10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

transcript and details here
    https: //medicalerrorinterviews.podbean.com/e/hillary-johnson-the-banality-of-medical-evil-part-1-investigative-journalist-pulls-no-punches-to-the-medical-industry/

eta: I put a couple of spaces in above after https:

eta2: been reading up on these events; for those interested

the Holmes Definition of Chronic fatigue

Gary P. Holmes, M.D.; Jonathan E. Kaplan, M.D.; Nelson M. Gantz, M.D.; Anthony L. Komaroff, M.D.; Lawrence B. Schonberger, M.D.; Stephen E. Straus, M.D.; James F. Jones, M.D.; Richard E. Dubois, M.D.; Charlotte Cunningham-Rundles, M.D.; Savita Pahwa, M.D.; Giovanna Tosato, M.D.; Leonard S. Zegans, M.D.; David T. Purtilo, Ivi.D.; Nathaniel Brown, M.D.; Robert T. Schooley, M.D.; And Irena Brus, M.D.;
    http://www.cfids-me.org/holmes1988.html

see also:
    https://www.imet.ie/imet_documents/BYRON_HYDE_little_red_book.pdf
    p21

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  11. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@ScottTriGuy Excellent, and important, interview Scott. Thanks to both you and Hillary.

Looking forward to Part 2.

12. ScottTriGuy

Thanks Chris - we're lucky to have had Hillary do all that reporting and writing. It is important to ME history.

brf, chrisb and oldtimer like this.
  13. ScottTriGuy

oldtimer, rvallee, chrisb and 5 others like this.
  14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Listening to it now.

eta: re 'unknighting someone' yes it has been done...see Robert Mugabe

eta2:
    did you find a link to the letter?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Joh, rvallee and ScottTriGuy like this.
  15. ScottTriGuy

Hillary did send me the attached copy - the typing is too small to be included in my show notes - the contempt for sick and disabled people (ie ME patients) is probably astounding to those without ME or its ilk...

Attached Files:

Samuel, Sly Saint, Joh and 3 others like this.
  16. chrisb

These interviews have done a very good job of "humanising" the experiences of the book, which always seemed rather overwhelming and difficult. One now sees why.

It just makes one curious as to what else she knows that didn't make it into print.... and whether it could answer some more of the questions.

Valuable work.

17. chrisb

On reflection, does anyone know where to find that letter, mentioned in the interview, from Wessely to Strauss circa 1988? It seems like the sort of thing we need, and I had not heard of it before.

Joh and ScottTriGuy like this.
  18. ScottTriGuy

I just emailed Hillary to see if she has a copy.

Sly Saint, EzzieD, Joh and 2 others like this.
  19. chrisb

On relistening it seems that the letter from Simon Wessely O.B.N. was to Gary Holmes. Presumably it must have been sent in March or April 1988 as the Holmes et al paper was published in March.

This is all very strange when one looks closely at the dates. The Holmes paper was published in March. The Strauss paper which had been presented at a conference 5 or 6 months earlier was published in March. The Wessely, David, Pelosi paper was published in March. The Eisenberg paper presented in May the previous year was published around this time. The Holmes paper appears, on paper, reasonably objective, so long as it is not read in conjunction with all the others, which are the ones that give the game away. Was this really not coordinated?

Unfortunately Wessely does not get into the Index in Osler's Web. It is hard to say whether he would have been piqued or relieved. That letter would be a valuable addition.

Sly Saint and ScottTriGuy like this.
  20. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just listened to both part 1 and 2. I've read Osler's Web. Ms. Johnson has a wealth of information, perhaps some of it as yet untapped - it seems so. More can be said about the 1980s/90s phase of this medical scandal. She reported on biopolitical shenanigans at the very centre of this travesty. Personally, she has been there with the rest of us, as a pwME caught in the medical industry - what terrible treatment she suffered.

It would be wonderful if she could write another book about this, but I understand the health impediments to doing this. Her determination to write the first one is inspiring and amazing.

It would be very interesting to see letters she talks about in her interviews.

Thank you very much to both Hillary and @ScottTriGuy for this fascinating set of interviews.

ETA: added - "some of it as yet"

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    EzzieD, Sly Saint, vsou and 6 others like this.