1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

My Label and Me: I’m not tired and lazy, I have ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Feb 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not a recommendation.
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/14/my-label-and-me-im-not-tired-and-lazy-i-have-me-8571106/

Of course AfME shared it though
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1096026336110497793

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alternative interpretation: he was bedbound for a while, but then improved which allowed him to increase his fitness through a GET program.

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

...which probably would have happened anyway.

4. pteropus

pteropus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

magic cure !!! or relapsing/remitting ME. or fluctuating ME.

5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We so desperately need good data on the long term course of ME.

6. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, if graded exercise helped him he's allowed to tell his story of course. The CFS diagnosis is very heterogeneous and post-exertional malaise is not a required symptom, so it's possible that some people with the CFS-label find GET to be helpful. This corresponds with the data in patient surveys.

I really don't like the last sentence though:
    This seems to suggest that other patients could recover as well, if only they had the discipline to do so.

7. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is from James Wilson's blog:

8. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What the heck @Action for M.E.

Have you read the article that promotes GET and CBT?

Looks like I just need to discipline myself more in order to “recover”.

9. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

@Action for M.E. Can you please clarifie your position? On one hand you criticize the PACE trial, and then tweet an article promoting the therapies this same trial tested. I am sorry to say I don't see any coherence in your decisions.

10. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He’s probably just repeating what he heard at kings. The bps people usually assert 1/3 can recover but that would be Fukuda oxford NICE CFS with perhaps unusual definitions of recovery. People who get better do sometimes unfortunately seem to think everyone else could if they were also as committed, dedicated positive etc.

11. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Like patients not recovering, even deteriorating haven’t tried enough and don’t know they’re own best? Anecdotes. Always so easy, missing all complex factors that can impact on recovery. Good for him, but not very helpful.

12. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Give credit where it is due. His blog post does seem to be called "It's all about M.E" which might imply that the observations ae not thought to be generalisable.

13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He's allowed to tell his story but 'finding GET to be helpful' does not equate to being helped by GET. I see no need to suggest his ME is atypical. In adolescents significant improvement or recovery seem to be fairly common and will likely occur at a time when treatment is being provided but that does not mean the treatment caused the improvement. Moreover, his subsequent relapse sounds familiar enough for ME. I hope he recovers again but it is clearly not guaranteed.

It is interesting how hard it is, whether for doctors, charities or patients, to accept that ME may genuinely be a 'chronic neurological disease'. Everyone wants to be optimistic but for lots of other conditions the long term nature of the problem is accepted - diabetes, scleroderma, hypertension, bipolar disorder, Parkinson's disease, whatever.

I am not suggesting one should be totally gloomy. There are lots of PWME known to the forum who have reached a stable enough condition to lead reasonably satisfying lives, just like lots of people with diabetes, but in either case there's rarely true 'recovery'.

It has taken me a long time to get head around this. But the key question is simple - if ME really is a chronic neurological condition, as it says, why the heck should exercise make it better?

14. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me a good thing in this article was making the point that for some at least who 'recover', relapses do occur.

However ME/CFS does seem to attract people that fall for the logical fallacy of 'going from the specific to the general'. Because something appears to work for one person does not necessitate that it will work for everyone, but that does not stop the steady stream of people that become evangelical about their personal 'cures'. This is why medicine by anecdote is bad.

Also it is important to remember that individual counter examples, anecdotes of harm, do logically allow us to say that for example the blanket statement 'GET is good for people with ME' is not true, but in contrast examples of it apparently working for some does not allow us to say the statement is true.

15. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I often think when people credit different things with helping them that they start to get a bit better and that then starts them looking for things that may help. Then if they continue to get better they credit the things that they found that helped.

16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If he thinks it is a neurological condition, but is starting a course of treatment at King's, one wonders whether they have shared with him their views as to the "perpetuating" factors. Still, I suppose he has given informed consent.

17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Disappointing article. So damaging to us that articles based around anecdotes like this don't also include information that research has shown that GET doesn't cure ME any better than doing nothing does.
    I wish him well and hope he isn't harmed by Kings GET.

18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Joh, Chezboo, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  19. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was poor, I was hungry, I found a pound in the street and bought a lottery ticket. I won £23,00,000.

Why are you still hungry, are you too lazy to buy a lottery ticket and help yourself out of poverty?

ETA - fictional example of the attitude shown, where blind luck is taken as the way things work.

Arnie Pye, feeb, Joh and 24 others like this.
  20. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Your last comment always makes me think of the ugly sister trying to get her oversized foot in the glass slipper for the kingdom. Never going to work no matter how hard you try and make extending activity if you have PEM after reading a book, how do they think extending your walk distance is going to cure ME.

I think the problem here with accepting that ME has no full recovery is that we have been drip fed false accounts of recovery. As they would say in CBT and GET world what is recovery? We are also told that unless you think there is possibility of recovery you (as patient or carer ) are not doing your job. This idea gets stuck with everyone, due to this kind of reporting; "You don't want to say you have to be kidding me" to the people that are telling you about the journey to recovery, but that is what is shouting in your head. This is what is so wrong with this article.

The questions needing answers here are
    1/ What was his recovery? was he able to live a full and active life as we would recognise it? My son's paediatric tells me that they had recovered but they are unable to work full time, not able to doing extra things with their children without resting
    However they are not in the state they once were where they were bedbound. They still think after telling me this I should extend my sons activity level. Now to me this does not sound like they have recovered, but living at a better level of life? This could go down again if they do not get the balance right when they are hit say with another stressor to their body.
    2/ What level is he at now,
    3/ what caused his down turn in his health or ability to keep active. This is the most important one that I would like answered.
    4/ Did he have PEM when recovered and what sort of PEM does he have now.
    5/ Over exercising for anyone is bad just ask top trainers, it is considered toxic to the heart.
    We need to look just as closely to those that have got better and then relapsed, why and how will enable us to understand so much more about ME

Dolphin, JaneL, DokaGirl and 9 others like this.