1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

My e-book “Tracing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to mtDNA” will be free Wednesday and Thursday on Amazon

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by BeautifulDay, Nov 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BeautifulDay

BeautifulDay Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Mithriel

I agree. In the 2014 study "Impairment of Myocardial Mitochondria in Viral Myocardial Disease and Its Reflective Window in Peripheral Cells", the researchers methods included: "The mouse model of viral myocarditis (VMC) was established by Coxsackie virus B3 infection and myocardial tissues and skeletal muscle were collected. Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) deletion rate was quantitatively determined using polymerase chain reaction."

They concluded: "Mitochondrial damage is an important pathophysiological mechanism leading to myocardial injury and cardiac dysfunction. The mitochondrial damage in the skeletal muscle and lymphocytes reflect a “window” of myocardial mitochondrial damage."
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0116239

"The present study was designed to provide more evidence for the roles of the mitochondrial damage in the pathogenesis of viral myocardial disease. Moreover, given the limitations of clinical application of myocardial biopsy, we also studied the mitochondrial damages in skeletal muscle, peripheral blood samples, and myocardium and analyzed their correlations in order to obtain a “window” in peripheral cells which reflects mitochondrial damage in myocardium."
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0116239

merylg, Mithriel and Ravn like this.
  2. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They have my data already. My physical location and my ME severity prevent me from participating in most research so contributing my dna data is one of the few things I can do. I would like to encourage everybody here with dna data to consider contributing their data, too, obviously after thinking through any privacy concerns that may apply to your specific situation.
    You (almost) made me feel grateful that I ended up with hypo- rather than hyper-metabolism. My father-in-law died of ALS and if there's one disease I wouldn't want to trade for my ME it's that one. It's awfuller than awful (excuse the grammar).

Thank you for all your detailed and informative answers @BeautifulDay. I appreciate the time and energy that must be taking you.

3. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wrote to them and filled everything in etc. etc. But my DNA data file is too big for .csv, .txt., xlsx or .zip and they only accept 23andme and ancestry. They didn't reply when I asked about WGS data (which will be by other providers or geneticists).

BeautifulDay, Ravn and Amw66 like this.
  4. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inara, ukxmrv, BeautifulDay and 2 others like this.
  5. BeautifulDay

BeautifulDay Established Member (Voting Rights)

I've gotten several notes from people stating that they missed the free days for my book on Amazon. For anyone who missed it, my book will be free this Saturday, December 15, 2018 on Amazon.

Inara, andypants, Amw66 and 3 others like this.