1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mum reveals how daughter went from active 11-year-old to a recluse after being diagnosed with ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, May 4, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"
    1st May 18
    Libby is one of the youngest people in the UK to develop the chronic fatigure condition.

A mum has spoken out about her 11-year-old daughter’s heartbreaking loneliness, after chronic fatigue condition ME transformed her from a sport-loving livewire into a virtual recluse.

One of the youngest people in the country to be diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, or ME – which most commonly affects women aged between 20 and 40 – Libby Seath, from Chester, Cheshire, now finds simple tasks like teeth brushing exhausting.

Thought to have been triggered by glandular fever, the condition has left her almost housebound, according to her sports and leisure coordinator mum, Emma, 43, who said: “This has completely turned our lives upside down.”

full article here:
    https://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/re...ld-to-a-recluse-after-being-diagnosed-with-ME

MEMarge, TiredSam, merylg and 8 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From AfME FB:
    "11-year-old Action for M.E. supporter Libby, who has M.E., and her mum Emma have shared their story with The Metro today for M.E. Awareness Month.
    You can read more about Libby's story at http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/01/an-11...people-to-suffer-with-me-7512031/?ito=cbshare "

"Emma Rushton: Thank you for all your comments and support. Libby was 9 when she became unwell. The press exaggerate on figures all the time re the age bit and she does have some friends they stretched that bit out too [​IMG]:). Libby wanted her story out there as she's that kind of kid, she completed the press application without my knowledge and I supported her with it. She's a motivated child who wants to help others at all times and has been fund raising for ME."

"Jacqui Morton: My daughter was diagnosed at 11 just after she started secondary school. That was 10 years ago. Not sure where they get their statistics from, there are lots of young people under 20 suffering."

part of Action for M.E.’s 2018 M.E. Awareness Month campaign, This is M.E.

hmm

Hutan, andypants, MEMarge and 2 others like this.