1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

MtDNA population variation in Myalgic encephalomyelitis/Chronic fatigue syndrome in two populations (2019), De Venter et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by MeSci, Jan 19, 2019.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Source: Scientific Reports

Preprint

Date: January 15, 2019

URL: http://sro.sussex.ac.uk/81281/

Ref: http://www.nature.com/srep/

MtDNA population variation in Myalgic encephalomyelitis/Chronic fatigue syndrome in two populations: A study of mildly deleterious variants
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Marianne De Venter, Cara Tomas, Ilse Pienaar, Victoria, Strassheim, Elardus Erasmus, Wan-Fai,Ng, Neil Howell, Julia Newton, Francois Van der Westhuizen, Joanna Elson
    - Brighton and Sussex Medical School

Abstract

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a debilitating condition. There is growing interest in a possible etiologic or pathogenic role of mitochondrial dysfunction and mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) variation in ME/CFS. Supporting such a link, fatigue is common and often severe in patients with mitochondrial disease. We investigate the role of mtDNA variation in ME/CFS. No proven pathogenic mtDNA mutations were found. We then investigated population variation. Two cohorts were analysed, one from the UK (n = 89 moderately affected; 29 severely affected) and the other from South Africa (n = 143 moderately affected). For both cohorts, ME/CFS patients had an excess of individuals without a mildly deleterious population variant. The differences in population variation might reflect a mechanism important to the pathophysiology of ME/CFS.

--------
    (c) 2019 Nature Publishing Group

Webdog, Ravn, andypants and 5 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Why do you have a link to Nature? As far as I can see this study isn't published there.

However I did find this report on the Action for ME website that talks about this study
    Word file (cached version) at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwiz1c-Pq_rfAhVJUxUIHWq6CA0QFjACegQIBxAC&url=https://www.actionforme.org.uk/uploads/images/2018/01/Outline_report_June_II.docx&usg=AOvVaw0peKjgh6-n0R0FzX6zmSnb

andypants and hinterland like this.
  3. MeSci

I just copied the email I received. Shall I remove the Nature link?

Andy likes this.
  4. MeSci

"Lay Summery"

Not quite right!

TiredSam and Andy like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not necessarily, it's hardly vital to your post, I was just curious.

I know, I was so tempted to correct it.

MeSci likes this.
  6. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wouldn't a person's mitochondrial DNA stay the same throughout their life? That would not explain sudden onset ME.

andypants and Webdog like this.
  7. Tao Fogger

Tao Fogger Established Member (Voting Rights)

Surely it's not that the mtDNA 'causes' the ME so much as it sets up an environment where ME can be triggered at some point in life if the right other conditions occur, such as the right virus infection or immunisation shot or whatever finally triggered the ME

andypants, Andy and Trish like this.
  8. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)