1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd November 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Moderna appears to be developing several mRNA vaccines for EBV and other viruses

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by rvallee, Jun 20, 2021.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's an investors' document but it lists several mRNA vaccines in various phases of development for some of the ME-causing viruses: CMV, EBV and some flu strains. CMV appears to be in phase 2 development. EBV could enter phase 1 this year.

ME, or similar chronic illness, is not mentioned as a lifetime risk so they are vastly underestimating the costs and potential benefits.

https://investors.modernatx.com/static-files/834b6509-553f-4ee5-84e0-c198bbb850f0

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've heard about this, but didn't know they were ready for a phase 1 already this year. That's AMAZING! :party::party::party:

I think you are completely right in that the consequences of endemic EBV is very much underestimated.

Imagine if we can see an end of the virus! :woot:

3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In addition to possible future cancer vaccines, there might also be possibilities of combining mRNA technology with CRISPR technology to develop treatments for diseases like cystic fibrosis.

Ash, sebaaa, Louie41 and 6 others like this.
  4. rvallee

The possibilities are amazing. My memory may be failing me but I think I saw one for asthma in development.

Although there is of course the issue of whether it protects against whatever is the long-X process that can lead to ME and other chronic illness, since preliminary evidence suggests it does not fully protect against LC, although it's still possible that those cases were actually infected and simply asymptomatic.

But it's about time the 2nd book of the germ theory of disease gets written. Pathogens and the immune system are so much more fascinating than what little we know already.

5. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Awesome. Surely someone would do a prospective study on ME/CFS incidence.

MEMarge, alktipping, Mij and 5 others like this.
  6. rvallee

The flu mRNA vaccine is beginning its first trial: https://arstechnica.com/science/202...gy-moves-to-flu-moderna-says-trial-has-begun/. It appears to target 4 strains of the virus, which is neat, and apparently two other viruses as well.

7. rvallee

In mice.

Ariel, Amw66, SNT Gatchaman and 2 others like this.
  8. rvallee

I am fairly sure this is a sponsored video for a push by Moderna to market their upcoming vaccines, which appear on track to be multi-purpose and probably standardized in the near future, no reason why multi-pathogen immunizations can't be a standard part of preventative medicine.

I mostly wonder if they will leverage the Long Covid context and also do awareness of the full range of consequences of infectious diseases. It's probably not lost on them that recent evidence suggests humanity will have to take a far more proactive and preventative approach to infectious diseases, the weird notion that it's perfectly OK and reasonable to be regularly sick is just so damn bizarre.

Specifically the video is about chronic health problems caused by cytomegalovirus, the virus with a dinosaur name, when it is passed on in the womb. I didn't know CMV is a major cause of deafness in children. When you see the full range of evidence it's amazing how medicine underestimates the full implications of the germ theory of disease, all because of the damn obsession with Freud's very bad ideas.

Ariel, Starlight, Mithriel and 3 others like this.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

After my experience with having two shots of the Moderna mRNA covid vaccine, I'd be very hesitant about having another vaccine. I'm still trying to recover from my last shot on July 1st.

Oni, Ariel, Ebb Tide and 5 others like this.
  10. rvallee

The CMV Moderna vaccine appears to be entering phase 3.

11. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CMV is one of the reasons why transplants fail.

Ariel and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

*hug* I am sorry that this has happened. Please keep us updated on your progress. I hope you feel better. :heart: