1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Development and testing of new vaccines against EBV and other viruses

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by rvallee, Jun 20, 2021.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moderna appears to be developing several mRNA vaccines for EBV and other viruses

It's an investors' document but it lists several mRNA vaccines in various phases of development for some of the ME-causing viruses: CMV, EBV and some flu strains. CMV appears to be in phase 2 development. EBV could enter phase 1 this year.

ME, or similar chronic illness, is not mentioned as a lifetime risk so they are vastly underestimating the costs and potential benefits.

https://investors.modernatx.com/static-files/834b6509-553f-4ee5-84e0-c198bbb850f0

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2022
    leokitten, cfsandmore, rainy and 28 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've heard about this, but didn't know they were ready for a phase 1 already this year. That's AMAZING! :party::party::party:

I think you are completely right in that the consequences of endemic EBV is very much underestimated.

Imagine if we can see an end of the virus! :woot:

NelliePledge, Tia, rainy and 14 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

In addition to possible future cancer vaccines, there might also be possibilities of combining mRNA technology with CRISPR technology to develop treatments for diseases like cystic fibrosis.

Tia, Ash, sebaaa and 7 others like this.
  4. rvallee

The possibilities are amazing. My memory may be failing me but I think I saw one for asthma in development.

Although there is of course the issue of whether it protects against whatever is the long-X process that can lead to ME and other chronic illness, since preliminary evidence suggests it does not fully protect against LC, although it's still possible that those cases were actually infected and simply asymptomatic.

But it's about time the 2nd book of the germ theory of disease gets written. Pathogens and the immune system are so much more fascinating than what little we know already.

Starlight, Tia, Ariel and 11 others like this.
  5. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Awesome. Surely someone would do a prospective study on ME/CFS incidence.

MEMarge, alktipping, Mij and 5 others like this.
  6. rvallee

The flu mRNA vaccine is beginning its first trial: https://arstechnica.com/science/202...gy-moves-to-flu-moderna-says-trial-has-begun/. It appears to target 4 strains of the virus, which is neat, and apparently two other viruses as well.

Starlight, Tia, Ash and 3 others like this.
  7. rvallee

8. rvallee

I am fairly sure this is a sponsored video for a push by Moderna to market their upcoming vaccines, which appear on track to be multi-purpose and probably standardized in the near future, no reason why multi-pathogen immunizations can't be a standard part of preventative medicine.

I mostly wonder if they will leverage the Long Covid context and also do awareness of the full range of consequences of infectious diseases. It's probably not lost on them that recent evidence suggests humanity will have to take a far more proactive and preventative approach to infectious diseases, the weird notion that it's perfectly OK and reasonable to be regularly sick is just so damn bizarre.

Specifically the video is about chronic health problems caused by cytomegalovirus, the virus with a dinosaur name, when it is passed on in the womb. I didn't know CMV is a major cause of deafness in children. When you see the full range of evidence it's amazing how medicine underestimates the full implications of the germ theory of disease, all because of the damn obsession with Freud's very bad ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph4VYwREW_g

Amw66, Ariel, Starlight and 4 others like this.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

After my experience with having two shots of the Moderna mRNA covid vaccine, I'd be very hesitant about having another vaccine. I'm still trying to recover from my last shot on July 1st.

Starlight, Perrier, Oni and 7 others like this.
  10. rvallee

Tia, Wyva, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  11. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CMV is one of the reasons why transplants fail.

Amw66, Tia, Ariel and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

*hug* I am sorry that this has happened. Please keep us updated on your progress. I hope you feel better. :heart:

Starlight, Amw66, TigerLilea and 3 others like this.
  13. Kalliope

Tia, cfsandmore, Ariel and 3 others like this.
  14. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think "most cases" is going a bit far. They thought the Incline Village outbreak was EBV until they found that many patients were negative and EBV was not implicated in the ME outbreaks. Every virus has a fingerprint of how it spreads and they did not match that of EBV.

TigerLilea and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

NIH Launches Clinical Trial of Epstein-Barr-Virus Vaccine

The study will enroll 40 healthy volunteer adults ages 18 to 29 years, half of whom have evidence of prior EBV infection and half of whom do not have evidence of prior EBV infection. Participants will be given a series of three 50-microgram injections of the experimental vaccine in the upper arm muscle, followed by 30 to 60 minutes of observation after each dose. The second and third doses will be administered 30 days and 180 days after the initial dose, with follow-up visits between each vaccination and phone calls between visits. Participation is expected to be required for 18 to 30 months, and the trial is expected to last four years.

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-even...=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=202205

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2022
    RedFox, Sean, SNT Gatchaman and 3 others like this.
  16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Vaccine against Epstein-Barr virus may enter clinical trial next year
    German startup plans to test EBV-001 in preventing mononucleosis, MS risk factor
    https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday....accine-ebv-001-may-enter-clinical-trial-2024/

RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The scientists and manufacturers might also be interested in considering ME.

The article mentions " chronic fatigue syndrome", but in relation to diseases other than Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

RedFox, Peter Trewhitt and Mij like this.
  18. Mij

My understanding is that in Germany, M.E/CFS is still referred to as CFS as far as diagnose goes.

“Based on our very favorable preclinical proof-of-concept data regarding the immunogenicity of the vaccine, we are confident that EBV-001 can effectively prevent the development of infectious mononucleosis and the often associated chronic fatigue syndrome,” said Axel Polack, MD, the company’s CEO.

Starlight, RedFox, Wyva and 3 others like this.
  19. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, thanks. I'm not sure though if their term "chronic fatigue syndrome", refers to chronic fatigue in relation to other illnesses than ME,
    or ME/CFS; the confusion and obfuscation we have endured, and fought for decades.

If they are referring to ME/CFS, this would be very good news.

20. Mij