1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitochondrial complex activity in permeabilised cells of chronic fatigue syndrome patients (2019) Tomas, Brown, Newton, Elson

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by John Mac, Mar 1, 2019.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, the huge flaw here is that Fukuda is broken, as another Newton paper proved but failed to say. In fact we can say that it has been shown Fukuda eliminates statistical relevance of data for ME and IMHO this is a null result, not worth giving credence.

https://www.s4me.info/threads/impai...re-common-2019-newton-et-al.8040/#post-142247

arewenearlythereyet and Trish like this.
  2. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from the paper, and on another thing:

i understand, ophthalmoplegia (there are various forms) may be caused by demyelination of nerves.
    this demyelination may be triggered by mitochondrial fails - which may be also a problem in mecfs.

together with the mitochondrial issues, the various forms of opthalmoplegia can show as
    - ptosis (eye lids)
    - troubles with eye nerves (various vision issues, reading/focussing)
    - with face nerves (inability to move eye brows)
    - hearing loss
    - elevated blood lactate (weakness limbs, neck)
    - elevated pyruvate

opthalmoplegia diseases are slow progressing and can start anytime, mostly in ppl below 20.
    causes are unknown, but can be genetic.

in such a case, copaxone should help with demyelination?
    why is this so expensive ?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Hutan, hinterland and Amw66 like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That paper along with this recent paper explicitly show the problem is not within the mitochondria. That is a key part of the mystery.

Hutan and roller* like this.
  4. roller*

@Snow Leopard

there is
    a) true mitochondrial damage
    b) fake mitochondrial damage

mecfs is b), i understand.
    in what class is the optho-disease, a) or b) ?

these ophto-symptoms are mine.
    (sorry for having no clue on whatsoever)

5. Andy Dearden

Andy Dearden New Member

In looking upstream, the Tomas et al paper suggests "The lack of differences in PBMCs may suggest that the abnormalities found in whole cells shown previously is not due to abnormalities in the mitochondrial respiratory chain complexes but rather at different points of the respiration pathway such as movement of glucose into cells, AMPK abnormalities, or altered functioning of other mitochondrial enzymes (Tomas et al., 2017)."

I am not a biochemist (or a clinician), so I hesitate to put this out there, but ...
    Given that some clinicians recommend ketogenic diets for ME, and I've seen some papers suggesting that AMPK production/functioning may be affected by ketosis:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898565/,
    https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/10/10/1339
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11745-016-4156-7
    is this something that should be being investigated further? Is anyone already looking in this direction?

ukxmrv, sb4, andypants and 3 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hi @Andy Dearden, this interests me too. I'm not a biochemist either.

From some of the other studies we've seen as I understand it there is a suggestion that there is a problem using carbs for energy because getting the breakdown product of glycolysis, the first stage of breakdown of glucose that happens in the cytoplasm, into the mitochondria could be something to do with a block in the pathway involving pyruvate dehydrogenase.
    I think work by Fluge and Mella suggested this, and also some of the metabolomic studies.

And a suggestion that the alternative mitochondrial pathways using breakdown products of fats or proteins have to be used more. Hence the link with keto diets that some pwME seem to find helpful, though not curative.

There is also the question of whether there is enough oxygen getting into cells to be used by the mitochondria, hence the interest in red blood cell deformability affecting their movement through the smallest capillaries. I have no idea whether a keto diet would make any difference to that.

sb4, andypants, hinterland and 7 others like this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It depends on the foods in the Keto diet. RBC deformability is improved by high polyunsaturated fat diets, and made worse by high saturated fat diets. Of course this presumes the polyunsaturated fats are not trans fats. Trans fats are even worse than saturated fats.

andypants, Amw66 and Trish like this.
  8. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would imagine that depends on the cause of the RBC abnormalities or deformabilty-disability to begin with.

sb4, andypants and Trish like this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That will modify it, but the flexibility of a membrane is due in a large part to its fat composition. Now in the case of oxidative and nitrosative stress, where those fats get damaged, polyunsaturated fats will have decreased benefit. This is particularly the case if they become trans fats.

Now having lots of poly in the membrane is not always a good thing for other reasons. It might lead to increased series two eicosanoid synthesis, for example. Many of those eicosanoids will be inflammatory.

We are still learning about the factors that induce or inhibit RBC deformation, some of which might be endothelial not due to the RBCs themselves. I can say that in many patients, myself included, a high poly diet did not fix our ME. Its not that simple.

There are at least some drugs that might have an impact as well. I think some might wind up being in clinical trials for ME.

10. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My biggest signal is for missing heat shock protein,so I think the protein in the blood will be unfolded protein and the unfolded protein response kicks in

11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem is there is some evidence that fatty acid transport is also disturbed, meaning a ketogenic diet on its own may actually make things worse.. .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21205027

andypants, Inara, merylg and 2 others like this.
  12. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the RBC deformability might need to be considered separately, as the “there’s something in the blood” theory still applies where plasma alone has been added to healthy cells, and found to diminish their ability to utilise oxygen.

lansbergen, andypants, merylg and 2 others like this.
  13. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really appreciate your knowledge on this. I keep trying to get a local consultant with a background in CPET to read the research. Will let you know if I'm ever successful

14. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could you please explain this more fully for idiots like me?

andypants, hinterland and Trish like this.
  15. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have discovered the hard way that I cannot live without eating cardohydrates. If I do not have enough I collapse with hypoglycaemia (confirmed by blood test). To defer a collapse a little bit (if I am waiting for food, say) I sit perfectly still.

16. roller*

mecfs ppl may show the extreme opposite of BHD breath holding divers ?
    perhaps, the problem is not exactly lactate
    ... and then there was ATIVAN increasing the mitchondrial respiration... faik

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Amw66 likes this.
  17. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the jury is out on whether a ketogenic diet is useful. I think glucose is still by far the most efficient energy source available to us and what the human body has adopted ..the brain uses about 70% of the glucose we normally consume. Whether our energy production is dysfunctional doesn’t necessarily equate to it being completely broken and so going extreme with a less efficient energy production does seem counterintuitive.

It seems to me that we are talking degrees of dysfunction so it may be that a ketogenic diet may not be that helpful for the milder, but may be more beneficial for the more severe. However that makes some pretty broad assumptions. If a ketogenic diet were a significant improver I think we would know by now.

Mithriel, Trish, boolybooly and 2 others like this.
  18. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don’t we have to break down the fats we eat first though to create the membrane phospholipids? I thought circulating fats are no larger than medium chain triglycerides and mostly fatty acids? So whether it’s poly when you eat it ..it mainly becomes fatty acids in the end anyway before it gets near to being part of a membrane. You also need saturated fatty acids for membrane production I think (although I am a bit hazy on that). I always thought the benefit of a diet higher in polyunsaturated fat than saturated fat was to reduce the amount of circulating cholesterol in the bloodstream and provide a source of omega fatty acids rather than anything to do with cell membranes?

Andy and Hutan like this.