1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitochondria Play an Unexpected Role in Killing Bacteria

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.the-scientist.com/the-l...-an-unexpected-role-in-killing-bacteria-65246

Ron, inox, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  2. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think apoptosis and autophagy play a role in fighting "invaders" (esp. viruses, don't know about bacteria), and the mitochondria play a role there.

3. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prusty found that HHV6 released a substance that inhibits mitochondria. David Attenborough always says the bugs will outsurvive us because they are more adaptable.
    More evidence that more research at cellular level is required.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    andypants, Mij, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  4. Inara

Yes, viruses like EBV, HIV, and some HHV (I forgot which one) produce proteins that can open endoplasmic reticulum (ER) receptors that release Calcium; if those stores are emptied the cell opens calcium channels in the plasma membrane (through which, I guess, the virus can send its DNA/RNA). The released calcium from the ER can be taken up by the mitochondrion which, in turn, can produce autophagy signals. I can't remember exactly (if increased or decreased), but ATP plays a role here. (If it was decreased ATP, that would mean inhibited kinases, amongst others, I guess.)
    There are certainly other pathways that a virus can use. May depend on the virus.

I don't know how it is with bacteria though.

When I read this my sponatenous thought was viruses know exactly how the signaling pathways work - we don't (yet).

5. MaximilianKohler

MaximilianKohler Established Member

This should not be in "unrelated to ME/CFS". This may just be the crux of the issue.

Mitochondria evolved from microbes, so it makes sense that they would perform a function like this. Since the mitochondria are the main site of energy production it's plausible that chronic infection could reduce their energy production since they're spending their resources fighting infections.

Pyrrhus likes this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hi @MaximilianKohler. Welcome to the forum.

We have this subforum for research and information on science that may well have relevance to ME, but that is not directly ME research. So this thread is in the right place!

andypants and Andy like this.
  7. Inara

obeat, andypants and Andy like this.