1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mind, Madness and Power - Simon Wessely and others

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Sly Saint, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have the opposite problem, I keep closing tabs when I don't mean to. Perhaps I'm suffering from PEM (Premature Elimination of Markers).

Woolie, Lisa108, Skycloud and 17 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think we need a complete paradigm shift. And I think we aim for that.
    The older I get the more I realise things are possible if you put your mind to it.
    So I am joining those having a go.

Joh, hinterland, Allele and 27 others like this.
  3. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This should be practiced together with Cognitive Browser Therapy to eliminate the false illness beliefs behind tab hoarding, including the idea of "brain fog", where you imagine that your brain is not functioning properly and that you have memory and comprehension problems, and fear that closing tabs will result in things being lost forever.

Secondary gains that Cognitive Browser Therapy helps eliminate include keeping track of stuff and learning new things.

On successful completion of Graded Elimination Therapy and Cognitive Browser Therapy you will believe that you can remember everything, have closed all your tabs but one, and you will rate yourself as normally cognitively functional.

Because these therapies only change your psychology and not your physiology, you will in fact still have brain fog, and will not remember what we have done to you. Or, at least, that's the plan.

Allele, Lisa108, Skycloud and 14 others like this.
  4. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I don't know whether Wessley is a sociopath, narcisist or whatever, and I'm not sure I'd want to use those terms because I'm reluctant to validate the psychs' habit of making up labels and applying them liberally. The thing that bothers me most about Wessely is that he isn't a scientist. And he's in the bloody way, grinning at me with his smug little face.

Lidia, Woolie, Allele and 18 others like this.
  5. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Absolutely, when I watched the Cambridge Analytica undercover report that comment about people just having to believe something is true immediately made me think of PACE trial and all the negative portrayals of pwME that have appeared in media around PACE.

Allele, MEMarge, Moosie and 3 others like this.
  6. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent! I'll take a paradigm shift, and I agree that that is what is needed. Thanks for being one of those aiming high. :thumbup:

Allele, MEMarge, Yessica and 3 others like this.
  7. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I concur. And we need more catalysts to facilitate that shift sooner then later.

Controlling the message, as we have seen for decades, is crucial.

Creating compelling and/or provocative media, and not relying on paid or earned media, as we have seen with Unrest, seems to be a good option for our context.

Allele, MEMarge, Moosie and 4 others like this.
  8. large donner

large donner Guest

Ye I think they should be placed under a single category, dis-Functional bastard disorder.

Inara, MEMarge, Webdog and 2 others like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Snap.

10. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I generally follow the advice of Oscar Wilde on this, and forward the articles to someone else to read (secretly hoping they'll reply with a neat synopsis).

"I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself." ~Oscar Wilde

Or, I stash the useful informations in Evernote, probably, never to be looked at again, but feels productive.

oldtimer, Allele, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I refuse. I will keep opening tabs until my browser crashes.

inox, hinterland, Allele and 8 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wonder how much he gets paid for these talks(?)

One for the diary (;)) if you are in London.

"
    Ernest Jones Lecture
    04/25/2018 19:30

open to public
    Organizer: Institute of Psychoanalysis
    Venue: University College London
    Gower St, Fitzrovia
    WC1E 6HA London
    United Kingdom

This year our speaker is Professor Sir Simon Wessely, Professor of Psychological Medicine and Regius Professor of Psychiatry at King’s College London and a Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist at King’s College and the Maudsley Hospitals. He is also past President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists.

His doctorate is in epidemiology, and he has over 700 original publications, with an emphasis on the boundaries of medicine and psychiatry, unexplained symptoms and syndromes, population reactions to adversity, military health, epidemiology and others. He has co-authored books on chronic fatigue syndrome, randomised controlled trials and a history of military psychiatry. Professor Wessely is also President of the Royal Society of Medicine."

https://www.theviennapsychoanalyst.at/index.php?eid=24&citysearch=London&jahr_k=2017&monat_k=09

Woolie, Esther12, Inara and 2 others like this.
  13. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You're absolutely right. One could and maybe should use other discriptions for his behavior. But the impression remains: no empathy, having only his own good in mind, not caring about others, viewing oneself as perfect and without fault and as supreme etc.

One could define "Psychopath" or "Sociopath" as an "abbreviation" for this kind of behavior in contrast to calling this a "psychological disorder" (in fact, I admit that's what I do), which somehow makes the impression the person can not be made responsible for its behavior to which I disagree.

Allele, MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  14. Sly Saint

More Wessely stuff:

UNCORRECTED TRANSCRIPT OF ORAL EVIDENCE To be published as HC 422-iii

House of COMMONS
    MINUTES OF EVIDENCE

TAKEN BEFORE
    HEALTH COMMITTEE

THE ELECTRONIC PATIENT RECORD

thursday 7 jUNE 2007

DR MARK WALPORT, PROFESSOR CAROL DEZATEUX and
    PROFESSOR SIMON WESSELY

MR PATRICK O'CONNELL, MR ALAN SHACKMAN and
    PROFESSOR NAOMI FULOP

Evidence heard in Public Questions 333 - 498

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmselect/cmhealth/uc422-iii/uc42202.htm

ladycatlover and Joh like this.
  15. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

He would no doubt be entirely on board with PACE, from what I've seen of him so far.

Esther12 and ladycatlover like this.
  16. Sly Saint

17. Sly Saint

"
    Thursday, May 05, 2011
    More heat in the debate about psychiatry

A review in Psychiatric Services is reluctant to recommend Richard Bentall's book Doctoring the Mind because it is said to be "incendiary and devisive". The reviewers are frightened that the book exaggerates issues for service users.

I'm not sure who's doing the exaggerating. Richard is said to suggest that there is a long-standing battle for supremacy between psychologists, "who are educated and trained to understand people and the human experience and to provide healing therapy", and psychiatrists, who are "indoctrinated with the medical model, have unwittingly carried Nazi-era notions of the genetic origins of psychosis into the present and are intent on pumping people full of as much useless, dangerous medicine as possible while simultaneously avoiding any conversation"."

http://criticalpsychiatry.blogspot.com/2011/05/review-in-american-journal-of.html

18. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

upload_2018-6-16_13-36-1.png

"Wow" as in "how beautiful" or "Wow" as in "Holy crap why on earth are we letting these people near patients"?

It's always so hard to tell with Wessely what exactly he's saying.

Inara, Cheshire, Lidia and 6 others like this.
  19. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Now there's a real example of Godwin's Law!

As you can see, Bentall rejects the biological view, even when it comes to serious mental illnesses like psychosis and advocates for a social-psychological model.I spent a while looking through his group's recent manifesto on psychology (remember, that huge 100+ page document? I can't remember what it was called). And I thought it was dogmatic and dangerous.

I have a lot of issues with psychiatry, but I think this group's approach is just as dogmatic and dangerous.

Inara, Sly Saint, Cheshire and 3 others like this.
  20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I don't distinguish between the two. The line really is arbitrary, far as I am concerned. They are all just psych to me.

Inara and oldtimer like this.