1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

#MillionsMissing today, 12 May - post news, tweets, etc. here

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sasha, May 12, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was easier said than done.. I've uploaded pictures but don't know how to add them in the correct album. Is there a step-by-step-procedure somewhere?

Edit to add - or an e-mail address I can send photos to so MEAction can upload themselves?

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sorry, that's all I know. @JaimeS , do you know if there is a guide for this?

3. Kalliope

Found it and it was a breeze!

Just click here and find the location of your event on the list, click on the link and upload. They want pictures from physical events, not virtual.
    SmugMug City Upload Links (#MillionsMissing 2018)

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Great. If there was an official MEAction communication linking this I'd be happy to share it on the S4ME Facebook page - but just sharing a Google Docs link and saying "honestly, it is from MEAction and totally safe to click the links" is not something I'm keen on. :)

5. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry but I did have this as a tweet and it was removed -- #MEAction may be worried someone will remove or mess with the photos, so it hasn't been shared in the wider space of the Twitterverse. I can confirm that the link provided is in fact the correct one.

7. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen this image, but I cannot remember where, and cannot find it again.

[​IMG]

It is at Hertha Berlin Football Club.

A brief machine translation

Translation

Original

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

9. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Could have sworn I'd seen this posted on the forum somewhere but my search skills aren't finding it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...-syndrome-parenting-nhs-funding-a8348351.html

11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

And this was published yesterday
    https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/ne...ines/118870/me-awareness-day-millions-missing

JaimeS, Alvin, Yessica and 8 others like this.
  12. Kalliope

The filming of the MillionsMissing event in Stavanger, Norway, now has English subtitles.
    @Woolie has, once again, been of incredible help with proof reading! Thank you so much!!!

Talk by mother and carer of severe ME patient, Karin E. Wattum begins at 11 min 33 sec
    Talk by prof. Ola Didrik Saugstad begins at 28 min 16 sec
    Reading from blog post by ME patient Sissel Sunde begins at 47 min 11 sec

There is also a check on 100,000 NOK delivered to research into ME towards the end of the video. It was raised by a local group of women who calls themselves "mothers".

Musician: Fredrik Sele
    Host: Eirin Sund

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-x2zct0XFE

merylg, Inara, Esther12 and 7 others like this.
  13. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just finished watching the segment with Karin's speech. I gasped out loud at the second state reporting, out of control ignorance.

Devastating, powerful, heartbreaking, brave.

The worldwide suffering of this disease is just too much, and totally unnecessary--it must stop now! Humans can do
    so much better than this. Ffs.

JaimeS, Inara, Joh and 3 others like this.
  14. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apart from the link Andy posted, picture and story were later also published on a bigger German football site (link in tweet).

https://twitter.com/user/status/996488313778384897

15. Kalliope

Yes, it was incredibly brave of the mother to tell this story. It is so important that these stories are shown, in order to make people recognise that we are talking about problems on a structural level regarding families with ME patients, not just individual cases who just might have been a bit unlucky in their meeting with the public health services. But I do fully understand those who don't want to talk about matters like this in public.

Her daughter was part of the ME documentary that was recently aired on national television in Norway, and the same channel wrote an article about the family (mentioned here in the news from Scandinavia-thread). There have also been a few articles in the family's local newspaper. Very brave parents and daughter. I am in awe!

16. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)