1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Millions Missing in Southampton - 12th May 2018

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by chicaguapa, Mar 15, 2018.

1. chicaguapa

chicaguapa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope it's ok to put this here. I'm organising a Millions Mission "Visibility Action" in Southampton on 12th May. Hopefully it'll be in Guildhall Square outside the Civic offices, but we're waiting for confirmation from Southampton City Council on that.

So far it's me organising with a few of my friends who watched Unrest and were motivated to do something (which is a story in itself). But it would be really good to get some supporters with ME along on the day too. And of course if anyone wants to be involved with organising, just let me know.

If you want a pair of shoes put out for you, just message me with what you'd like on your tag. Or feel free to get in touch about sending your own pair of shoes.

Any comments or suggestions welcome too. I hope it'll be well supported on the day.

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

great news.

Indigophoton, Jan, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. Best wishes with it.

Indigophoton, Jan, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.
  4. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s brilliant :thumbup:

Indigophoton, Jan, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

@chicaguapa , I've taken the liberty to add it to the calendar.

I'd hope to be able to attend this, it will probably be the closest event to where I live - energy levels permitting of course.

MEMarge, Indigophoton, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  6. chicaguapa

Thanks Andy. I have arranged people to be on hand to provide lifts, pick up from the station etc. So if we can help in any way, let me know.

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Brilliant, I should be OK for that kind of thing, though great to hear that you've got it in hand. :thumbup:

8. chicaguapa

Just bumping this back up.

If you are able, please can you send us one (or both) of the following to help increase the visual impact of this visibility action:

1. A message for a tag to attach to a pair of shoes: name, age, how long you've been ill and what you're missing. Tags from men are particularly needed (we don't have any!), women and children too. We have over 150 pairs of shoes donated so far and just 30-odd tags.

2. Your story and a photo: it's entirely up to you what you write. Just whatever you want people to read to help them understand what your life is like or what your experience has been. You can even send something rambling and I'll edit it into something. We'll format it into an A4 poster to display alongside other people's stories. If you don't want to send a photo of yourself, you can send one of a pair of shoes, the view from your bed, your dog. Anything goes!

You don't need to be from Southampton or attending the event to do this. Please email millionsmissingsouthampton@gmail.com with whatever you can contribute to our visual displays.

Thank you!

MEMarge, Trish and Andy like this.
  9. chicaguapa

Thank you @Trish for your story. x

MEMarge likes this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think it must be a different Trish. I haven't sent my story.

MEMarge likes this.
  11. chicaguapa

Ah sorry! It was just that it came through shortly after posting this so I thought I recognised your name. Sorry again.

Trish likes this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/16207337.Thousands_to_unite_in_Southampton_for_the__MissingMillions/

Shame they couldn't get the campaign title right.

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

@chicaguapa , I'm sorry but I won't be able to attend. My mother-in-law's health has taken a turn for the worst and the knock on effect from dealing with that is that, collectively, my wife and I don't have the spoons to spare to be able to attend.

I'm sure it'll go well, I'm sad not to be able to take part.

14. chicaguapa

Hi Andy. I'm sorry to hear you couldn't make it but glad I didn't miss you. There are some great photos on Twitter and Facebook. We had over 400 pairs of shoes. Next year will be even bigger as the response from the public and attendees was very positive, so I hope you can make that one.

Best wishes to your mother-in-law.

15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, chicaguapa, Trish and 3 others like this.
  16. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looked amazing and great awareness raising.
    I thought the reference to war graves was good too

MEMarge and chicaguapa like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Lots of pictures from Southampton on Facebook, this is just one.

chicaguapa, Skycloud, MEMarge and 2 others like this.