1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Migraine treatments

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sasha, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That's interesting Mij. Lots of us get migraines, has anyone tried this drug?

2. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Im waiting for this drug to come to the U.K. I’m pretty sure it’s an acute medication that works on anti CGRP pathways?

The good news is that there are already some preventative anti CGRP injection medications available in the U.K in headache clinics. Ajovy, Aimovig etc. They cost around £300 a month privately (which is why I haven’t been able to access them even though they are the meds I need!), but are free in some NHS clinics. Getting access on the NHS also requires jumping through several hoops.

https://www.healthline.com/health/migraine/cgrp-migraine#how-its-taken

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This drug is being advertised by Serena Williams on U.S tv commercials.

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. Hutan

Bumping this thread, with two fairly recent papers reporting higher levels of CGRP in people with fibromyalgia, and the treatment inhibiting CGRP receptors. Interesting to read that account of a person whose migraine involved post-exertional symptoms up thread.

jaded and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

merged
    New drug thought to cut migraine attacks by half could be available within months (msn.com)

eta:another article with more info

'Life-changing' tablet that tackles common illness could be available in UK by Christmas (msn.com)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2023
    Hutan, Simbindi and Ash like this.
  6. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dare I hope?

Hutan and Simbindi like this.
  7. Hutan

I found this recent paper useful in understanding these recent medicines for migraine:
    Calcitonin Gene-Related Peptide Receptor, 2023, Rashid and Manghi
    It's interesting to think how the raised blood CGRP in people prone to migraines might also be related to orthostatic intolerance and PEM. Interesting also that it might be related to peripheral nerve regeneration, and that it can be cardio protective.

I think there could be an interesting study there to track CGRP levels in people with ME/CFS who get migraines. It would be good to know if these medicines for migraine help with ME/CFS symptoms.

Trish, Amw66 and Ash like this.