1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Sharpe on Radio 4 Today / Tom Feilden BBC (18th march 2019)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by JellyBabyKid, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would imagine all good scientists adopt this approach in some form or other. If you don't look for the flaws in your own theories, how the hell are you going to find them, or accept flaws when other spot them? It actually says an awful lot about scientists who do not do that.

Forbin, Sean, Snowdrop and 6 others like this.
  2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kelland referred repeatedly in our exchanges to my "campaign." I told her it wasn't a "campaign" but an investigative journalism and public health project.

3. Barry

Not sure what is wrong with a campaign that seeks only to expose the truth anyway.

Inara, MEMarge, Atle and 12 others like this.
  4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It goes against the established order.
    When fat was discovered not to be a villain in human health an entire industry turned against science because it had been built to profit off of the low fat mantra.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And vilifying fat happened by turning against science. It was shoddy sugar industry-funded research that promoted it. Next thing you know sugar was added to everything. Since then I have not heard of any interest in pushing for consequences on those who faked and promoted the research.

Bad science has consequences, rarely on those pushing it, however. Did any of the researchers publishing fake research for the tobacco industry get in trouble? Millions died because of this fake research and hardly any consequences. This all basically guarantees that bad science has an unfair advantage, as we painfully know. Enormous gains, hardly any punishment, if at all.

The case is pretty strong that the main motivator being the psychosocial model of ME was the insurance industry and DWP salivating at billions saved. And they sure did. It's good return on investment to sacrifice lives by fabricating a controversy. And we're punished again for pleading for sanity and ending this brutal nonsense.

Inara, MEMarge, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool."
    Richard Feynman

2kidswithME, ukxmrv, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Atle, Wonko and 9 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Used it before but here it comes again

MEMarge, Wonko and Trish like this.
  9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was a revealing article in today's copy of Private Eye for all you football lovers. It's alright. Don't give up yet. You're quite safe.

It concerned bribery allegations involving the 2022 World Cup finals and FIFA.

"....It detailed the work of PR lobbyists for the UAE, Qatar's sworn enemy, in planting material on the British media. The two outlets it cited as being the most susceptible were the BBC and....the Sunday Times."

I have already forgotten why that might be of interest.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Mithriel and 5 others like this.
  10. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

rvallee, andypants and Amw66 like this.
  12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I watched the video but I didn't get what it was supposed to be portraying. Explanations in words of one syllable, please.

Skycloud likes this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The spoon didn't go back in the soup.

EzzieD, JemPD, Skycloud and 1 other person like this.
  15. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. :D

Daisybell, JemPD and Skycloud like this.
  16. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just following up the initial tweet to include some interesting responses. I seem to have gone tweeting mad today!

upload_2019-3-22_15-55-26.png

upload_2019-3-22_15-55-51.png

Barry, andypants, Lisa108 and 10 others like this.
  17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Notable that the substance of their response was not peer-reviewed, with the reviewer roughly saying "this is part of the discussion so I will allow it but I won't comment on the substance". And refusing the premise of criticism is not responding to criticism. Circular illogic, as always.

andypants, Barry, JohnM and 1 other person like this.
  18. Barry

upload_2019-3-24_22-22-11.png

Never seem to twig that merely 'responding' does not cut it ... it's the substance of any response that matters.

andypants, Lucibee, rvallee and 5 others like this.