1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Member questions for Dr. Sadie Whittaker, new Chief Scientific Officer of Solve ME/CFS Initiative

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Remember this thread? The Q&A with Dr Whitaker was sidetracked by my little trip into hospital, I've now started discussing with Solve when it might happen again and it looks like it will now take place early(-ish) in the new year, so does anybody have any further questions?

We have threads on their latest newsletter, https://s4me.info/threads/solve-cfs-chronicle-winter-2018.6899/, and a webinar with Dr Whitaker in a few days, https://s4me.info/threads/webinar-s...uilt-by-the-community-6th-december-2018.6924/, which might provide some inspiration for questions.

Hutan, Indigophoton, Trish and 9 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was intrigued to hear about the symptom capture app from Solve in the recent interview with Lewellyn King. Is this aimed to be used in one country, or to use internationally?

Hutan, andypants and Andy like this.
  3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good question. I'm pretty sure the 'under construction notice' has been there for quite a while.
    Maybe also ask about the timeline: where are they at, when are they likely to go active?
    And definitely ask for more info about the registry. A while ago, when they started pre-registrations, I emailed to ask if that included International patients and the answer was yes. What I'm not clear about is how the registry would work for International patients, or US patients living far from research centers for that matter. Would we form a sort of contact list for researchers wanting to do questionnaire style studies (e.g. like Jason's PEM work)? While those near (US) research centers might get invited to provide tissue samples or participate in other studies (scans, exercise, etc)?
    This.
    And this.

Trish, MeSci, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

So, finally, Solve and I have been able to agree a date - it's been somewhat frustrating but I tend to think it's a good thing that they are so busy. The plan at the moment is to do a Q&A/interview/chat over Skype on Friday 3rd May, which will hopefully allow me to do some minor editing (mainly adding titles and credits) and release it the following week. Given that this years Ramsay Award grant applications open on the 1st May, we will be talking about that, as well as their registry and biobank, and including as many of your questions that I've got already as is possible - ideally I'd like to keep it to 30 mins or so if I can.

So, if you have anything that you'd like me to bring up then post it here and I'll do what I can.

inox, Comet, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Final call - any more questions?

MEMarge likes this.
  6. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can any researcher receive funding with the Solve ME/CFS initiative, say for example a research team from Belgium?

How does that normally work - do researchers have to apply and submit a proposal, do they have to contact someone at Solve ME/CFS Initiative or is it someone at Solve ME/CFS Initiative who actively searches for interesting projects?

Not that I have someone I mind, just asking in case we happen to find a Belgian researcher who's willing to do biomedical research into ME/CFS.

MEMarge, andypants and Andy like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Simple answer is that they will fund internationally. An example of this would be Prusty, one of the researchers looking at mitochondria and finding signs of "something in the blood", is based in Germany and was funded through the Ramsay Research Award scheme.

Yes, proposals have to be submitted - https://solvecfs.org/applying-for-an-award/

MEMarge, Aroa, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thanks for everyones input. This interview took place Friday just gone (3rd May), there were a few technical hitches which meant that, so far, I don't have the recorded video of it. Once I do I'll crack on with some start and end credits and then upload it to our YouTube channel.

MEMarge, inox, Comet and 9 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Aroa, Comet, Snowdrop and 4 others like this.