1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Medical abuse Facebook group for with ME to post stories

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by NelliePledge, May 23, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

sorry I’m on my phone and can’t cut and paste the info from Facebook

Rough summary this is a place where people with can anonymously post their stories of poor treatment or neglect by health service due to predudice and belief ME Is psychosomatic. Clare Geradas worst nightmare.

TiredSam, Joh, Dolphin and 10 others like this.
  2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

since they wont be counted as properly filed complaints I don't think c geradas will lose any sleep .lol

Invisible Woman likes this.
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Facebook anonymous?

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that people submit their stories to the people who run the group via private message, and then the stories are published with initials and date submitted. So there is no public direct link between the story and the Facebook account of the person who submitted it.

5. Alvin

I figured as much but that first link kills the anonymity. There have been various individual examples over the past decade of corporations and governments getting their hands on "private" facebook data (i'm not referring to Cambridge Analytica) so suffice it to say this is not anywhere near anonymous if someone with connections wants to find the author

6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I completely agree! Facebook and anonymity are words that don't belong in the same sentence. But some people feel better having shared terrible things that happen to them, and they may consider it to be worth it. The chances of the medical staff involved in their terrible experiences ever identifying themselves or the person telling the story are probably quite low.

7. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm afraid I'm with Alvin, and strongly suggest not to post to that account.

Facebook makes it's money by monitoring and creating links between people, places, and things. By posting to the account (even by PM) you are creating a link between yourself and "Abuse of ME Patients by Health Care Professinals". By interacting, everyone is telling Facebook that you have ME and also that you were treated badly. This information will be available to many thousands of people you do not know and cannot trust.

Imagine if the post office was able to record not only where a letter was going to, but also who sent it, when, and also made that information available to anyone it wanted. It wouldn't need the actual content to build up a very personal profile of you and make you identifiable.

8. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Imagining nearly complete: in the US all postal mail is optically scanned now. I mean you can write a vague From: name, but it still records the whos, whens and wheres.

9. Alvin

Fear Alvin :emoji_japanese_goblin:
    :D

I never even thought of this one :emoji_face_palm:

Daisymay and Luther Blissett like this.
  10. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)