1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Measuring fatigue. Discussion of alternatives to questionnaires.

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by Esther12, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. A bit like asking people how yellow something is.

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reminds me of another word... "stress".

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I would also like to see an analysis of handwriting, from the fine motor perspective. Before and after prospective studies could be interesting.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Sorry I missed this discussion. Others have correctly pointed out that your computing hardware makes a big difference e.g. mouse or track pad. So, certainly please don't be crying about the result from that test, even just metaphorically.

At best, the tool is only useful to track changes in an individual over time, when using the same laptop or tablet with a good internet connection.

5. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In my own experience, my co-ordination issues are one of the prime ways that I make a judgement on whether I am struggling M.E. wise.

I always slow up if I notice any of the following:

• Slow eye focussing speed. (Far to near most obvious).
    • Momentary loss of balance, requiring me to “reset” by touching something solid.
    • More concentration required for simple tasks.
    • Poor dexterity, eg writing or manipulation of small objects.
    • Poor ability to follow conversations
    • Uncharacteristic reluctance to participate in conversations
    • Speech issues - words come out erratically (If this happens I know I really should have noticed sooner!)
    PS When I was more severe, these happened a lot or much of the time. Now I am faring a bit better, I take them as warnings. Pushing on through any one of these never ends well.

6. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would think the speed measuring code (eg, javascript) would run locally on your device and not be affected by internet speed.

ladycatlover likes this.
  7. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This test has to be done with a mouse. Touchscreen isn't fast enough. It was three times slower in my experience.

ladycatlover likes this.
  8. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't worry @Hutan. No crying happened. In fact I couldn't help laughing at the the suggestion to consult my doctor. Please doctor, my reaction times are slow, do you have a pill for that? And how often do you get a test result that says something is wrong with you?!

I did the test when at the tail end of PEM so not surprised at the poor result (694msec) and I did feel pretty dopey.

Have since repeated the test when feeling a lot more perky and did much better (332msec) but disconcertingly they still recommended seeing my doctor. I wonder what a normal result would be? Has anybody achieved one?

Obviously have only the 2 results to go on so far but they support the idea that this type of test could be used to monitor fluctuations in whatever it is that it measures (fatigue, alertness, motor control, …?).

ladycatlover, Hutan and Trish like this.