1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME Epidemiology - prevalence, peak ages of onset and gender ratio

Discussion in 'Epidemiology (incidence, prevalence, prognosis)' started by Simon M, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From 2011
    "In their report, the overall minimal yearly incidence (new cases) was 0.015%, implying that potentially around 9,300 people develop the illness in the UK each year. Furthermore, the estimated minimum prevalence rate of ME/CFS was 0.2% , which accords with previous estimates and implies (all things being equal) that a minimum of 125,000 people are living with ME/CFS (however defined) in the UK. About half of these patients (0.11% or potentially 68,300 people) also met the more stringent Canadian definition"
    https://www.meresearch.org.uk/how-many-people-have-mecfs/, which is an article about the study that Jo mentions directly above.

0.11% of last reported UK population (c. 69 million) would give an updated (albeit pre-Covid) figure of c. 75,900 people.

The registration of interest in DecodeME of over 25k also suggests that there are far more pwME than your estimate.

There are a lot of potential reasons not limited to;
    forums are now an 'old' and unfashionable way of communicating compared to other social media platforms,
    many/most ME patients are cognitively challenged, making participation on forums difficult,
    many patients won't be aware of forums given their lack of participation with the patient community.

2. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

That's interesting, because going back to the 80s and early 90s, 100,000 was the figure generally used.

3. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is the paper for those interested: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21794183/

Prevalence of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) in three regions of England: a repeated cross-sectional study in primary care

Abstract
    Background: Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) has been used to name a range of chronic conditions characterized by extreme fatigue and other disabling symptoms. Attempts to estimate the burden of disease have been limited by selection bias, and by lack of diagnostic biomarkers and of agreed reproducible case definitions. We estimated the prevalence and incidence of ME/CFS in three regions in England, and discussed the implications of frequency statistics and the use of different case definitions for health and social care planning and for research.

Methods: We compared the clinical presentation, prevalence and incidence of ME/CFS based on a sample of 143,000 individuals aged 18 to 64 years, covered by primary care services in three regions of England. Case ascertainment involved: 1) electronic search for chronic fatigue cases; 2) direct questioning of general practitioners (GPs) on cases not previously identified by the search; and 3) clinical review of identified cases according to CDC-1994, Canadian and Epidemiological Case (ECD) Definitions. This enabled the identification of cases with high validity.

Results: The estimated minimum prevalence rate of ME/CFS was 0.2% for cases meeting any of the study case definitions, 0.19% for the CDC-1994 definition, 0.11% for the Canadian definition and 0.03% for the ECD. The overall estimated minimal yearly incidence was 0.015%. The highest rates were found in London and the lowest in East Yorkshire. All but one of the cases conforming to the Canadian criteria also met the CDC-1994 criteria, however presented higher prevalence and severity of symptoms.

Conclusions: ME/CFS is not uncommon in England and represents a significant burden to patients and society. The number of people with chronic fatigue who do not meet specific criteria for ME/CFS is higher still. Both groups have high levels of need for service provision, including health and social care. We suggest combining the use of both the CDC-1994 and Canadian criteria for ascertainment of ME/CFS cases, alongside careful clinical phenotyping of study participants. This combination if used systematically will enable international comparisons, minimization of bias, and the identification and investigation of distinct sub-groups of patients with possibly distinct aetiologies and pathophysiologies, standing a better chance of translation into effective specific treatments

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had clearly misremembered which number went with the Canadian criteria.However, it is interesting to note the word 'minimum'. Talking to Luis Nacul my impression was that they thought 0.2% was probably a fair estimate of the true prevalence - presumably the expectation is that a significant number of people are still waiting to be diagnosed.

5. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post from this thread
    I'd guess ME affects 1 in 5000 people so from an 85,000 population there would be 17 patients. I don't think that's enough for good research. Chronic Fatigue on the other hand probably affects 2 in 100, may be more, so there would be plenty patients for that research.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2021
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I think the usual estimate is about 0.4% affected with ME/CFS, so 4 in 1000 people. So, unless I have stuffed up the maths, that means around 340 people. But, it would be good to know how many people on the island are known to have ME/CFS, what percentage are women, how many are at the various levels of severity, whether the cases are concentrated in some families, ...

Snow Leopard, MeSci and Andy like this.
  7. Hutan

Sorry, have just caught up with @Sly Saint' post a few posts back. That article suggests that there are 350 people on the island with 'ME or CFS' - amazingly close to the 340 figure that the 0.4% estimate gives. I do think that a population like that, and their GPs, could be organised and motivated to produce a very useful population-wide registry.

8. DigitalDrifter

The UK's current population is 68,350,000 according to https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/uk-population , 0.4% of which would be 273,400. There's no way that many people have real ME where exercise harms them.

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yes, you have repeatedly claimed this without presenting any evidence to back your argument up.

10. DigitalDrifter

To be fair I haven't seen any good evidence to the contrary, for example a prevalence study based on the ICC criteria alone.

For example this study (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21794183/) gives a prevalence of 0.19% based on the CDC 1994 criteria which I don't classify as being real ME. Even with that too broad criteria that would make only 129,865 ME patients in the UK, just under half of population @Hutan claimed had ME.

AknaMontes likes this.
  11. Hutan

Just to be clear, I make no claims about how many people in the UK have ME, or ME/CFS. (If I have somewhere, I certainly should not have.) I don't know. All I'm saying is that my inadequate reading of the very inadequate epidemiology literature leads me to think that 0.4% is a reasonable guess of the number of people with ME/CFS in any given population. Surprisingly, the Isle of Man figures support that.

I'll try to have a look at the study you have linked, DD.

AknaMontes and Alis like this.
  12. Hutan

13. DigitalDrifter

@Andy @Hutan

Inflating the numbers is really bad for credibility of real ME patients. If there are over 100,000 misdiagnosed as having ME all claiming exercise didn't worsen their condition or even led to improvement, it's going to make us sound like delusional conspiracy theorists.

14. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

AknaMontes, Amw66, Trish and 2 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Posts moved from:
    Suppose you have €5-10 million for ME/CFS research, what would you spend it on?

I haven't collected up all the evidence in one place, but my impression has been of an incidence of more like two thirds female, one third male. Regardless, here are some possible ideas of the top of my head as to why reported rates might not be accurate:

• Bias in exposure to ME/CFS triggers (or factors that make triggers more potent) in certain studies that aren't reflective of overall incidence. Cultural bias in what infections/troggers are regarded as causing ME/CFS. In the case of Q-fever fatigue syndrome (and possibly Ross River fever too), I think there might even be more males than females, because of the gender patterns in exposure to the pathogens. Some people discount QFFS as ME/CFS, saying that the people who get QFFS are 'made of different stuff' to those who get ME/CFS. There was a suggestion that more young females were exposed to the giardia outbreak in Norway due to them being more likely to drink lots of water. I think a lot of Gulf War Illness is in fact ME/CFS, but it doesn't get diagnosed as that.
    • I believe, from observing young people with ME/CFS, that males are less likely to admit there is a problem if the disease is mild than females are. They may prefer to be viewed as lazy than labelled with a stigmatised 'it's all in your mind' disease. That might be why some people have concluded that the disease tends to be more severe in males - it's just the most affected who get the label. Also, I think culture has (at least in the past) tended to allow males with a mild ME/CFS disease to continue to function without a disease label - they may continue to work and then come home and slump in a chair. There hasn't been the same expectation that they will come home and get dinner on and look after the children. I think it's generally accepted that women are more likely to go to the doctor with a health issue than men - that may not be true and certainly won't apply across the board, but it is a prevailing stereotype that may have some basis in fact.
    • Doctors may be more mindful of the stigma that goes with a CFS diagnosis when they have a male patient, and spend more time seeking alternative diagnoses, delaying or avoiding the CFS diagnosis. They may be less worried about that for females, in fact they may assume that CFS is a woman's disease, and so may tend to readily reach for a CFS diagnosis when a female patient sits in front of them complaining of fatigue.
    • Males tend to have higher incidences (or at least diagnoses) of some other "serious" diseases, with biomarkers, that can cause fatigue, so ME/CFS symptoms may be attributed to those other diseases. Females may have lifestyles that are more likely to cause fatigue (working mother with inadequate help for housework, breastfeeding, anaemia due to blood loss) and so phone surveys supposedly screening for CFS that ask things like 'have you been fatigued for more than 6 months while not having a medical condition that explains the fatigue' may skew towards females.
    • Further on the point that having the symptoms of ME/CFS may be harder to accept and less accepted in some cultures if you are a male: This may lead to higher rates of self-medication with alcohol and other drugs and perhaps even suicide in men than in women. I suspect that some of the people who end up homeless have undiagnosed ME/CFS - they just don't have the energy to do what is required to get themselves out of that situation, and family and friends have given up on them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2023
  16. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The way it felt for me as male adolescent with (maybe) ME/CFS was that I wasn't allowed to be ill. There was a lot of pressure to go to school and my symptoms were reinterpreted to fit the belief system of the adults. I was not considered a credible witness to my own condition (and indeed, I was very confused by what was happening, but still not as confused as everyone else). I was expected to push through, and if that didn't work or I refused to do it, then that was a behavioural/psychological problem. A teacher convinced himseld that I had a secret drug addiction. These may reflect more the dysfunctional in my family and school environment than society's attitudes.

Even though I clearly was ill (in retrospect), I didn't see myself as having an illness but kept trying to make the aforementioned approach given to me by the adults work. Until at some point, after many crashes, each causing more demoralization and despair, I rebelled against it. Then I was no longer pressured as much, but instead abandoned, as a "bad person".

I see a lot of similarities between this dynamic I exerienced and the PACE trial author approach to ME/CFS.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    Simon M, SNT Gatchaman, Sid and 13 others like this.
  17. Hutan

I might have to come back to this later - I think we have discussions about this on other threads. But the Norwegian study is doing an awful lot of the heavy lifting here. I'm pretty sure that there are other studies that have not found the 'twin peaks'.
    For a start, look at that age range. Puberty, say 10 years, through to early 20s, say 22 or 23? Then another "peak" from 30s to early 40s. So, from 30 to 43? So is the suggestion that there is a gap of 7 years where onset is less common? Those are pretty broad peaks. The proposed situation is sounding more like a plateau with a bit of a valley in the late 20s to me.

I think there were issues with age and gender skews related to exposure in Norway attributed to outbreaks related to contaminated water. Also if the health system is much more likely to diagnose ME/CFS in a 19 year old woman who has had EBV and much less likely to diagnose ME/CFS in a 28 year man who has had Q fever, then rates will be incorrectly skewed by age and gender.

After the early 40s, people are more likely to attribute ME/CFS symptoms to 'getting old' or 'menopause'. Certainly their doctors will be much more likely to do that. Until we have a good biomarker, /I doubt that we will be able to get a good understanding of ME/CFS onset in older people.

We know that a substantial proportion of people developing persistent symptoms after a Covid-19 infection meet ME/CFS criteria. Therefore, and given they don't have any other obvious pathology explaining their symptoms, they have ME/CFS. The numbers are too high to suggest that these people all had ME/CFS before their Covid-19 infection, or they developed ME/CFS from some other trigger. I don't think the relationship is known with a lower degree of confidence than for EBV. Similary for SARS-1. I'll give you Ebola as an ME/CFS trigger that we have less evidence for, because people haven't really looked hard at it, but the symptoms that people are left with sound very much like ME/CFS to me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    Mij, Sean, alktipping and 1 other person like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's more acceptable for a woman to not work full-time than for a man.

And indeed what I've seen in the ME community is very few men who can't work full-time ending up with a more serious relationship (as defined by a composite of starting to live together/getting engaged/getting married/having children) while it's not rare for women who can't work full-time to end up with a more serious relationship (as defined by a composite of starting to live together/getting engaged/getting married/having children).

Working full-time is very challenging with ME/CFS. I don't think it's easier than working part-time (or not at all) with some extra domestic chores.

19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member