Review [ME/CFS] from current evidence to new diagnostic perspectives through skeletal muscle and metabolic disturbances, 2024, Pietrangelo et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Mar 14, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome from current evidence to new diagnostic perspectives through skeletal muscle and metabolic disturbances
    Tiziana Pietrangelo; Stefano Cagnin; Danilo Bondi; Carmen Santangelo; Lorenzo Marramiero; Cristina Purcaro; Raphael Severino Bonadio; Ester Sara Di Filippo; Rosa Mancinelli; Stefania Fulle; Vittore Verratti; Xuanhong Cheng

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a demanding medical condition for patients and society. It has raised much more public awareness after the COVID-19 pandemic since ME/CFS and long-COVID patients share many clinical symptoms such as debilitating chronic fatigue. However, unlike long COVID, the etiopathology of ME/CFS remains a mystery despite several decades' research.

This review moves from pathophysiology of ME/CFS through the compelling evidence and most interesting hypotheses. It focuses on the pathophysiology of skeletal muscle by proposing the hypothesis that skeletal muscle tissue offers novel opportunities for diagnosis and treatment of this syndrome and that new evidence can help resolve the long-standing debate on terminology.

Link | Paywall (Acta Physiologica)

EndME, Trish, Sean and 3 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What do they say? Can anyone give me a copy?

EndME and Kitty like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember some of these Italian researchers did some interesting ME/CFS muscle research in the 2000s.
    It's good to know they are still interested.

EndME, ME/CFS Skeptic, Sean and 5 others like this.
  4. wabi-sabi

wabi-sabi Established Member (Voting Rights)

How can people keep claiming this?!

Sure, we don't know everything (or even enough), but this constant refrain of can't find the patho despite decades of research is a back handed way of hinting that there is no patho, because you know, it's all in our heads. Why can't they just say it's historically underresearched so we know very little about it, but this paper starts to rectify that situation?

Sean, alktipping and Hutan like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

And, that sentence rings alarm bells for me for the opposite reason. We don't know the etiopathology of Longcovid. We know what appears to be the inciting illness, sure, but we know that for a whole range of ME/CFS cases e.g. EBV infection.

Still, perhaps their discussion about muscles will be interesting.

EndME, Mij, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

Kitty likes this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

This review is quite comprehensive. There is a little reference to psychosocial factors in parts of the paper, but this is a firmly biological review.

EndME, MeSci, Sean and 6 others like this.
  8. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The argument obviously is used in this way by certain people, but that's on them--it's not inherent in the point or statement itself. I read it here as a neutral statement. Sure, they could have added that it's been historically under-researched but I don't see any problem with it as is.

EndME, Sean, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  9. SNT Gatchaman

A few quotes to frame the review.

Fatigue And Muscle Fatigue In ME/CFS

EndME, MeSci, Mij and 4 others like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

Oxidative stress in fatigue and ME/CFS

EndME, MeSci, Mij and 4 others like this.
  11. wabi-sabi

wabi-sabi Established Member (Voting Rights)

Well, I did just read the abstract and not the whole paper. I may have leapt to some conclusions!

SNT Gatchaman and Kitty like this.