1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME/CFS Early Career Investigator Survey

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://redcap.rti.org/mecfs/surveys/?s=94JADKFCPC

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

erm...what?

alktipping likes this.
  3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

why would completing a survey expose anyone to risk , just what are the authors implying.

ScottTriGuy and Wonko like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen other research like this - trying to warn participants about any potential risk of the research can end up sounding a bit silly in some cases.

ScottTriGuy and alktipping like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The bit about risk may be a standard thing ethics committees require researchers to assess and state for participants taking part in the research .even if the research only requires participants to fill in a questionnaire like this one.

6. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I took that to mean that the survey may trigger PTSD symptoms that are caused by traumatic experiences in their career / professional development. I think this would especially pertain to researchers that also have ME (or family member).

I suspect the same information about recall potentially causing distress, would also be used when asking ME patients to recall their experiences with the health care system. Most (all?) ME patients will have at least one distressing / traumatic event from physicians / health care. (Like Dr Klimas said, but I'm paraphrasing: 'They came to the doctor with ME. They left with PTSD.')