1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Martin's Jester Challenge against Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (OMF)

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by MSEsperanza, Jun 17, 2019.

1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    EzzieD, Missense, Barry and 8 others like this.
  2. RuthT

RuthT Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DC02E464-5E06-4693-B3C0-A7335A687599.jpeg His fundraiser is currently at £2,359, and he has passed the Scilly Isles, headed for the long haul across the Irish Sea. The wind has dropped, so he has slowed from 11 km/h to 5km/h. He’s also probably a bit tired after a lively start with strong winds and ‘bumpy’ seas & the challenge of navigating around the coast & the Scilly Isles. 30 hours solo at sea is quite an achievement already.

Hugely proud. I would not do this for love nor money. He seems to enjoy it!

Ed/ typo in Scilly

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    EzzieD, Joh, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  3. RuthT

It’s a solo, sail-only challenge. Depending on wind, tide & sea conditions could take 2 days or 5+.

I think it’s interesting that his progress is hugely dependent on factors outside his control, although his skill in navigation & making the best of wind, wave & tide comes into it too. Also a personal challenge.

Joh, ahimsa, It's M.E. Linda and 4 others like this.
  4. RuthT

ECBB83BB-78FB-4C11-A17C-205B79E40F90.jpeg 43449036-447E-416B-A03F-1C4019D17E35.jpeg He made it! Is very tired after 3 days & nights at sea.

EzzieD, rvallee, Ebb Tide and 10 others like this.
  5. RuthT

7814DB19-9A1C-46C4-91B1-10D354EB76CC.jpeg Just to say that lots of people have supported the fundraiser & it broke the £2,500 barrier while he was resting having arrived. Hoping for a further £1,000 from his company who also gave him the time off to do it.

Glad that so much has come from family & friends & I think for many the first time ME has had a focus. Think the spreading word beyond the ME Community is as vital as the fundraising.

Hutan, ahimsa, EzzieD and 6 others like this.