1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mapping out epistemic justice in the clinical space: using narrative techniques to affirm patients as knowers, Rosen, 2021

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Haveyoutriedyoga, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://peh-med.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13010-021-00110-0

Abstract
    Epistemic injustice sits at the intersection of ethics, epistemology, and social justice. Generally, this philosophical term describes when a person is wrongfully discredited as a knower; and within the clinical space, epistemic injustice is the underlying reason that some patient testimonies are valued above others. The following essay seeks to connect patterns of social prejudice to the clinical realm in the United States: illustrating how factors such as race, gender identity, and socioeconomic status influence epistemic credence and associatively, the quality of healthcare a person receives.

After describing how epistemic injustice disproportionately harms already vulnerable patients, I propose a narrative therapy intervention. This intervention can help providers re-frame their relationships with patients, in such that they come to view patients as valuable sources of unique knowledge. Though I identify this intervention as a valuable step in addressing clinical epistemic injustice, I call upon medical educators and practitioners to further uplift the voices, perspectives, and stories of marginalized patients.

2. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like CBT for clinicians. The section on what can actually be done was going alright, until one of the questions patients ask themselves is "3. Am I the world's expert on...". Did the author forget the level of injustice being discussed here and make light of it?

Also, I am the world's expert in myself, and the clinician is not the world's expert in anything either. We often know far more than them about our conditions.